Sign in with
Your question

New Build Reboot error

Last response: in Systems
October 26, 2007 2:49:33 PM

Hi everyone,

Yesterday i put together my first computer, i had previously replaced a few minor parts, but really wanted to put one together from the start, so ordered all of the peices, and set about connecting the dots. An overview of the system as follows:

ASUS M2n32 Motherboard
Athlon X2 6000
Nvidia 8800 320MB OC
2 x 1GB Geil RAM
SATA hard disk / SATA DVD drive / 600W PSU

The systems boots ok (well i was happy enough that i didn't blow myself up as it was the first time build..), but it doesn't seem to be able to restart correctly. So for example, when trying to install windows when it comes to the point where it wishes to restart itself, it turns off, but doesn't seem to come back on again... the lights are on but the screen remains blank.

Sometimes, (not when i turn the system on first of all) I get 1 long beep, followed by three short ones. But this isn't every time the system POST's just after its tried to re-start itself and i have had to manually turn it off.... I read that this could be a gfx crd issue? But it doesn't do it every time....

Thanks in advance for any ideas...

Bazz

More about : build reboot error

October 26, 2007 3:18:42 PM

Re-seat your video card. Long beep w/ 3 short beeps usually = video card problem.

*Edit* If your video card is securely in place, make sure you have the additional power adapter (PCI-E 6 pin) with power going to it. If you don't, your system will just act like the card is not there.

Quote:
No Beeps No Power, Loose Card, or Short.
1 Short Beep Normal POST, computer is ok.
2 Short Beep POST error, review screen for error code.
Continuous Beep No Power, Loose Card, or Short.
Repeating Short Beep No Power, Loose Card, or Short.
One Long and one Short Beep Motherboard issue.
One Long and Two Short Beeps Video (Mono/CGA Display Circuitry) issue.
One Long and Three Short Beeps. Video (EGA) Display Circuitry.
Three Long Beeps Keyboard / Keyboard card error.
One Beep, Blank or Incorrect Display Video Display Circuitry.
October 26, 2007 3:24:17 PM

Doesn't sound like the video card is seated right.

Sometimes when you install the MB into the case, you might run into the problem of cards not lining up right.

Its a pain, but you might want to try running your MB outside the case on card board.
Related resources
October 26, 2007 4:10:59 PM

thanks for the replies everyone (i realise I am new here), here's an update:

Gfx card work fine in the 2nd PCIexpress slot, just moved it accross and it all worked fine, installed windows and all of the re-starting was fine, single POST beeps only.

So i moved back to the original PCIe slot, it boots to windows fine, and will shut down fine. But, if i hit "restart" instead of shut down, same error, long beep, followed by multiples... and blank screen...

the manual for the motherboard said i could use either slot.. the card works fine in the other slot, and the even this slot seems fine unless i try and re-start...

I am using the 6 hold power cable...

In theory i can just use the other slot, but the whole point of buying this motherboard is so that i could upgrade to SLI at some point in the future... that appears to be in doubt....
October 26, 2007 4:14:31 PM

That sounds like the top PCI slot has some kind of problem. Try resetting the BIOS to defaults in case some of the PCI-E settings got messed up in there. See if that helps.
October 26, 2007 4:18:00 PM

Been dealing with this on my rig for year.. Why would the graphics card have to be reseated if I have been playing games on mine fine for a year. Always has been stable. My rig always shutsdown fine but cannot restart. It jost goes to post then sits at a blank screen
October 26, 2007 4:23:42 PM

What PSU are you two using? I suspect poor PSU as the culprit. One of my relatives built their first PC and had the same problem (one long and 3 short beeps after restart) and for some reason his PSU was responsible. If you have a stronger, more reliable spare laying around, try swapping them out.
October 26, 2007 4:35:41 PM

Re: PCIexpress, I have only 1 (didn't want 2) but your problem seems strange, eh?
Your rig has no memory complaints?
Failed POST w/beeping makes me think 'memory'...
Make sure all your memory settings (timings, voltages) are good.
Most DDR2-800 likes ~2.0v and 1.8v is often inadequate,
Regards
October 26, 2007 4:42:36 PM

Hmm, the_ogs could have a point. What type of RAM are you using. All you posted about was 2x 1GB of Geil RAM.
October 26, 2007 4:55:40 PM

From what I understand, the GPU gets some of it's power through the PCI-E slot. Maybe it's getting just under what it's supposed to on a hot start, because it's very strange that it doesn't recognize it all during a restart.

RAM looks fine though. Akasa is a pretty good PSU brand from what I read... so, maybe it is a weird motherboard.
!