Sign in with
Your question

usb disk w/ vista and XP

Last response: in Storage
June 5, 2008 8:42:04 PM

Hi everyone,
Hopefully this is the right forum, but I have a Lacie 2D external drive that allows two firewire ports (800 and 400). One wire is connected to XP and the other goes to a Vista Ultimate. When they aren't plugged in simultaneously, the both work, but when one's plugged in and the other is then plugged in, the hard drive goes away and Windows doesn't recognize it any more. Should this work? It seems kinda buggy to me.

thanks for any thoughts.
Dave

More about : usb disk vista

June 5, 2008 9:27:06 PM

You can't plug it into two machines at the same time :) 
a b G Storage
June 5, 2008 9:32:35 PM

^Correct. But you can put the drive on a network if possible. This would allow the drive to be used by 2+ PCs.
Related resources
June 6, 2008 1:27:59 AM

Thanks everyone for the comments - I thought both could be plugged in at the same time. I have a laptop that has an HDMI port and a Desktop that doesn't have one. So my goal was to put movies on the shared drive and watch them on my 32" through HDMI.
On the desktop I have a 8800 GTS Video Card that doesn't have HDMI out. Does anyone know if I can use the DVI to simulate an HDMI signal for the TV? I know DVI doesn't carry sound, so I'm also assuming I would need to run a separate sound cable from the PC to the TV.
Sorry if this is the wrong forum.
Thanks,
David
June 6, 2008 8:06:30 AM

The only (real) difference between DVI and HDMI is the sound being carried via HDMI as well, where it must be done seperately when using DVI.

You can get a DVI to HDMI adapter for your graphics card, and then connect the sound seperately. Some cards can channel the sound out if connected to your motherboard/soundcard, but you have to look in your manual for that one.
June 6, 2008 1:53:00 PM

Darron said:
The only (real) difference between DVI and HDMI is the sound being carried via HDMI as well, where it must be done seperately when using DVI.

You have to be careful with that. Many TVs or monitors that have a DVI input do not support HDCP (High Definition Content Protection), which is standard with HDMI interfaces. If you take an HDMI output of a Blue-Ray player, for example, and use an HDMI to DVI converter to try to watch it on a monitor that has only a DVI input, it likely won't work, even though the HDMI and DVI video signals are exactly the same.

Of course, this is the opposite of what the OP wants to do (take DVI out from the graphics card and use an adapter to go to HMDI input on a monitor, which should work in all cases).
!