BIG problem with my Gigabyte DS3R during my install, help needed.

csquared587

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2007
Ok, I didnt mess anything up, but I think it came messed up.

There is a gold/copper piece in the middle of the board that says GIGABYTE in the middle. When I opened the packaging, the center piece was already loose.

I removed the sticker on the side of the board only to find a spring under it. I thought it was odd, but I continued. I installed the CPU, and when I lifted the motherboard up, a white plastic piece fell through the hole.

Needless to say, its the second connector to the gold/copper thing that is not even mentioned in the instructions.

So, what is this thing, and is my board screwed up?

joseph85

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2006
I suggest you send it back, what you're talking about seems to be the Northbridge heatsink(the gold piece in the middle). Really if your building your own computer you should know this already(I suggest you do lots more research on how boards work to truly be able to get a satisfying experience from your PC) . Your board seems to have been pretty badly damaged in shipping. Also don't remove anything you are not told to in the instructions.(Could void the warranty). Also what shipping did you use? What model is the board? Again I suggest you get a grasp on how these boards work, at least the basics(before buying).

Amen to that.

rgeist554

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
I bet you ordered Newegg, didn't you? I love buying stuff from them because of the price... but when it comes to Mobo / Processor, I wouldn't trust them at all. Every time I get my packages from them, it looks like they used it as a piñata or something.

csquared587

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2007
I am sending it back.

The only thing I removed was my Q6600 and its heatsink that I installed before really noticing that something was wrong.

Its going to be a week or so before I can put it all together again since its going to take newegg a while to replace it for me.

Do you have a good link that I can read? It didnt really look too hard when I was putting the stuff together.

TRENDING THREADS