Planning on a new system build soon, but i need some advice.

mennovh

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
I've been researching this forum and other forums on what kind of new system i should build to fit my needs. I want to build a system that will last me a few years with out worrying to upgrade it. I enjoy computer gaming, but the only games i see myself playing in the next few years are starcraft 2 and darkfall. I have a system now that is about two years old which is a 3500+ and 6800 with 2 gig of ram and it can handle what im playing now.

Now I'm not in a huge hurry to upgrade, I can wait a few months if need be. Now what I'm wondering is should i plan on buying a q6600 or should i wait and get the q9450 that comes out in january? And how long do you think 8800 cards will be viable for computer gaming? I know when I got my 6800 it worked well for the current games, but now I cant even play hellgate london without the lag. So what is everyones thoughts on this? Would it be wise to buy now or wait a few months to buy?

rgeist554

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
If you're not in a huge hurry, just wait for the q9450 and see how it performs. The Q6600 is pretty nice for now, but who knows - it could get blown out of the water. (Don't wait forever though, you'll never stop waiting for "the next best processor" :D) For SC2 and Darkfall, I think the 8800 can handle those pretty well, and probably give you a little room to grow on. Wait for the 8800GT to come though, and see how it compares in terms of pricing vs. performance.

mennovh

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
Im sure i could run starcraft 2 on my current rig, since most blizzard games are never very heavy on the hardware. But darkfall is really starting to develop in its graphics and it looks like it may take a bit with huge battles and what not. I think i might starting buying it in pieces as i see sales though. Parts that dont matter really matter like the case, psu, and components like that. What wattage should I be looking at? I know aobut the teirs for psus, but not sure on the wattage i should aim for.

rgeist554

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
PSU does matter, a lot, especially with sensitive Quad's and top-tier graphics cards. Don't just look for wattage, look for Amps per rail. (The higher the ams on the +12v rail, the better - Ex. of a label: +12v@30A) If you're not going SLI, you probably only need 500-550W - try this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139004&Tpk=corsair%2b550w Corsair is pretty good for PSU's and this model has 550W & +12v@41A. More than enough to run your system. It won't break the bank either :)

aadamszc

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2007
I strongly suggest not buying the parts a different times. While it may seem like you may get a better deal, by the time you have got all of the components the prices will have dropped even lower.

-Adam

mennovh

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
That does look like a very good PSU. Should i look for one with multiple rails? Will this psu last through numerous upgrades over the years?

rgeist554

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
If you want an absolutely bad@%# PSU that will hold some ground for a while, check out the Silencer 750w Quad. This thing is a beast.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817703009

That does look like a very good PSU. Should i look for one with multiple rails? Will this psu last through numerous upgrades over the years?
That PSU has multiple connectors. The rail just means the wire in the bunch. (Ex. there are several rails and each set connector is composed of a set of these rails: They are as follows - +5V, +12V, -12V, +3.3V, +5VSB) Just think of the +12V rail as the "Powerful Single Rail" that you need to concern your self with to determine if the PSU is strong enough.

I strongly suggest not buying the parts a different times. While it may seem like you may get a better deal, by the time you have got all of the components the prices will have dropped even lower.

-Adam
This is a common theme here. Most people, my self included, recommend you don't buy single parts, but rather everything all at once. The problem is that you may just be disappointed with the performance that only single parts may offer, and by the time you upgrade another part - something else in your case will be outdated.