Sign in with
Your question

Firefox suddenly starts slow

Last response: in Windows XP
March 26, 2010 10:12:31 AM

In the past week or 2, I've noticed that it is taking longer and longer for Firefox (always the most up-to-date version) to start. Today, it was about 3 minutes. The usual time has been 30 seconds. Today, it took about 2 minutes before the Firefox frame showed up, otherwise I was looking at my desktop the whole time. Nothing else turned on, computer completely turned on and running (not in any startup operation).

NEC Lavie C laptop
Japanese OS, Japanese Windows XP Home edition
about 7 years old
Pentium 4 1.50 GHz
768 MB RAM (maxed out)
Service Pack2

I'm running Avast shareware, updated constantly, and do a virus scan every 2 weeks (usually find zero viruses, when I do find anything it is only 1 virus).
I'm running Malwarebytes and upgrade and scan every 2 weeks, too. Never finds anything.

I've noticed that even when I'm doing nothing except type this message, the hard drive light is quite active, although Task Manager shows nothing out of the ordinary is being accessed.

Suggestions?
March 26, 2010 2:52:03 PM

Hi:my advice to you & to everybody is to use Opera Especially Version 10.00
it run really Fast
Anyhow in regards to your problem you do not mention about cleaning your registry!!!!

oh well give the following URL a Spin for some useful hint :

Firefox version 3.0 Operating system: Windows XP

http://support.mozilla.com/tiki-view_forum_thread.php?l...

Workaround for Firefox 3.5 slow startups on Windows?

http://mozillalinks.org/wp/2009/07/workaround-for-firef...

Firefox startup slow?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/alternative-computing/m...

later,G
m
l
March 26, 2010 2:55:40 PM

How does one clean a registry?

BTW, I have a more recent version of Firefox (3.6.2) than your suggestions show. Will look at the notes anyway. Thank you.
m
l
Related resources
March 26, 2010 3:26:47 PM

Glenski said:

BTW, I have a more recent version of Firefox (3.6.2) than your suggestions show. Will look at the notes anyway. Thank you.

Regcure:

http://www.regcure.com/

Or:

TuneUp Utilities 2010

http://www.tune-up.com/products/tuneup-utilities/

I have a more recent version of Firefox (3.6.2) than your suggestions show!!!!

I know, but I refer you to a URL for some hint

later,G

m
l
March 27, 2010 5:30:00 AM

Re: the first set of 3 links you gave me

1. I can't do this. I do not have the browser.sessionstore.enabled to access.

2. I cleared out my History (although Firefox is already set to do that upon shutdown), Temp Internet Files (a gazillion dating back to 2003!), Temp files (230), but I could not locate a folder called Recent.

I shut down Firefox, waited 10 seconds, then restarted it. Took 20 seconds instead of 3 minutes. I was still hesitant, so I rebooted, and it took about 40-45 seconds. Better, but still not optimal.

3. One thing that seemed to work for people was to edit their profile. I don't even know where mine is!

I may go with one of the registry cleaners next. Any advice on the above will still be appreciated.
m
l
March 27, 2010 6:15:16 AM

I just downloaded and ran a scan with RegCure. You might have told me that in order to actually clean / fix the problems it found, I'd have to buy the software! That's what it said after I waited for the scan to complete.

Not sure if I should even look up the other link you provided now.

BTW,
I've been getting messages like this a lot recently, too. I have no idea what they mean. I have the option of Stop Script or Continue. I just stop script.

A script on this page may be busy, or it may have stopped responding. You can stop the script now, or you can continue to see if the script will complete.

Script: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Mozilla%20Firefox/components/nsBlocklistService.js:648
m
l
March 27, 2010 5:02:29 PM

"Not sure if I should even look up the other link you provided now"

Well It's up to you if you want to try the other link or not!!!!

on the Other hand I bought Regcure /TuneUp Utilities 2010 & I never Install them as a Trial.
(TuneUp Utilities probably have a 30-day trial)

in respect to your Script your not the only one who is getting it:

Script: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Mozilla%20Firefox/components/nsBlocklistService.js:648

http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/forum/1/595817

Finally:If you really having a trouble with Firefox
why you don't give Opera a go, it's a freeware & work really well & fast

best of luck
later,G

Glenski said:
I just downloaded and ran a scan with RegCure. You might have told me that in order to actually clean / fix the problems it found, I'd have to buy the software! That's what it said after I waited for the scan to complete.

Not sure if I should even look up the other link you provided now.

BTW,
I've been getting messages like this a lot recently, too. I have no idea what they mean. I have the option of Stop Script or Continue. I just stop script.

A script on this page may be busy, or it may have stopped responding. You can stop the script now, or you can continue to see if the script will complete.

m
l
March 27, 2010 10:25:54 PM

This is only making things more frustrating.

I followed your link to what other people suffered with that script error. Tried to delete older versions of Java as they recommended using JavaRa (it seemed to remove 2 of them), but could not install the newest version. I don't know why it didn't work. Too many acronyms and "go here" messages to explain why.

I looked at my Java folder in Programs, but could not see any multiple listings before I used JavaRa, so I have no idea where it found them.

UPDATE:
I went back to that Java link, and instead of using the downloading window they provide (but say that is not needed!), I clicked directly on the link I needed for the latest 6.18 update. It downloaded all right. We'll see if this fixes anything. The script error is random.
m
l
March 27, 2010 10:56:46 PM

Hi:If you still having problem with that Browser
give Opera a go
It's Free of charge
Remember life too short to wasted on Trouble shooting a browser
later,G
m
l
March 28, 2010 8:38:40 AM

Does anyone else have something to offer other than changing a browser?
m
l
March 28, 2010 6:06:23 PM

I still use Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.16 beside IE and it works really fast. Of course I set it before I went on line for the first time .... no updates , no cache... first homepage.... it's important to fix these... Youtube said my browser is not supported anymore , but I am still able to see the videos, starting with the second video I choose. And it is quite easy to clean it registry , not like the newer versions .
m
l
June 23, 2010 1:06:00 AM

Hi Glenski, feel your frustration.... some really inspiring Opra pushing.... anyhoo...
You may want to try the following:
1] download and install CCleaner(free) from the following site:
http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

2] In the LHS pane - click on Cleaner - under 'Windows' tab - following 4 headings are listed: a)Internet b) Windoes Explorer c)System d)Advanced
- click on the little icons next to their respective heading to select/unsellect items listed that you would like cleaned
- except the last item 'Wipe Free Space'... because time needed is directly proportional to the size of your Hard drive

3] Clicl on Analyze if you want to review files to be deleted... if you are unsure of your item sellections above.. otherwise click on 'Run Cleaner' directly.....After the system is cleaned...

4] In LHS pane click on 'Registry'.. then in middle pane.. click on icon beside ' Registry Integrity' heading to sellect or unsellect all items..then unless you have speciallized 'AxtiveX andClasses or Type Libraries' installed sellect items and click on 'Scan for Issues' button..
Problems found can be rectified by following the message prompts..
Be sure to say yes when prompted to backup registry... open a new folder for these backups... Ccleaner will remember the path nectime you run it and save the backup automatically... with your permisson ..of-course.

[Most Safest and most efficient System and Registry Ccleaner I have used thus far]

5] Close Cleaner and in Control Panel double click 'Java' icon to open "java Control Panel"

-- In General Tab-->TemporaryInternet Files-->Click on 'Settings'
-- In Temporary Files Settings dialog-box click on 'Delete Files' button
-- sellect the files you would like to keep and sellect to delete the rest.

6] Then navigate to www.java.com and click on 'Do I have Jave?' button.
-- follow the prompts to update your Java.

7] Now Reboot the system

8] Navigate to FireFox website Using IE and update your Firefox
-- Run Cleaner's Cleaner one more time[It will be quick .. as already cleaned]
-- Rebooting the System

And you should be good to go.... or better than before

m
l
June 23, 2010 1:16:09 AM

I already use CCleaner once a week or twice a month.

I automatically update Firefox.

It's not better. I have noticed that Malwarebytes picked up a Registry bug the last 2 times, despite my telling it to remove it. It's called a Rootkit Agent. Don't think it's the primary cause of problems, but it's still an unwanted agent and I don't know how to specifically remove it.

I also noticed something called CDK Players, which has been mentioned elsewhere on the Internet as a cause of slowness, but nobody seems to have a fix for it. Trying to delete it from Programs doesn't work.

Have uninstalled Avast, and it speeds startup a lot, but now I'm without an antivirus program. Was thinking of using the latest Comodo for firewall AND antivirus, but it's a HUGE file!
m
l
June 23, 2010 1:52:28 AM

Dont worry Glenski
Download & Install the following 3 freewares. It forms a free complete security suite for your system!
1. Avira Anvivir - http://www.free-av.com/en/download/index.html .
Avira is best & light solution for excellent overall system protection & internet security with real time updates, .

2. Malwarebytes - http://www.malwarebytes.org/ .
Malwarebytes is one of the best & effective antimalware tool out there.

3. Ccleaner - http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download .
CCleaner is a system optimization, privacy and cleaning tool with an efficient & most useful registry cleaner.

The Best Security & System Optimization combo for all types of systems.
m
l
June 23, 2010 5:46:58 AM

Glenski said:
I already use CCleaner once a week or twice a month.

I automatically update Firefox.

It's not better. I have noticed that Malwarebytes picked up a Registry bug the last 2 times, despite my telling it to remove it. It's called a Rootkit Agent. Don't think it's the primary cause of problems, but it's still an unwanted agent and I don't know how to specifically remove it.

[#0005ff]Rootkits are a serious threat. For statrers, go to http://www.kaspersky.com and download their TDSSKiller and run that. If it finds nothing, it just means your rootkit isn't of the DSS nature so you need something different so post back if MBAM still finds the threat. You may need GMER or ComboFix.[/#000ff]
m
l
June 23, 2010 6:11:19 AM

Rootkits are a big problem.Can you post an exact path in the Registry where it shows up.
m
l
June 30, 2010 12:03:16 AM

saran008,
I already have Malwarebytes and CCleaner and use them weekly (after updating, of course). Not so sure I want to use Avira. Have tried 2-3 free antivirus software packages lately, and they all create an enormous slowdown upon start-up.

Saga Lout,
Thanks for reminding me about Kaspersky. I'd forgotten and will get right on it.

Tamz_msc,
No, I have no idea how to even locate the exact path. Malwarebytes just reports that it found the Rootkit Agent. How might I get the info you asked for?
m
l
June 30, 2010 12:45:07 AM

Glenski said:
Does anyone else have something to offer other than changing a browser?

Here is the dumbest sounding one of all, but it does work... I need to do it about every 2 months, and it's beond me why it has anything to do with anything. One of the great mysteries of my computer it is....

In Firefox, click "Tools" then "Add-ons."

"Disable" (not uninstall) every single add-on you have. Close Firefox and wait 20 seconds or so to insure it really is gone.
Re-Start Firefox and go back to your add-ons and "Enable" them all again.

Told you it would sound dumb, but it does something and the great delay is over... for a couple months.

I now use Firefox 3.6.6 but this has been ongoing for over a year.

Maybe it will do some good for you too.
m
l
June 30, 2010 6:45:19 AM

tigsounds said:
Here is the dumbest sounding one of all, but it does work... I need to do it about every 2 months, and it's beond me why it has anything to do with anything. One of the great mysteries of my computer it is....

In Firefox, click "Tools" then "Add-ons."

"Disable" (not uninstall) every single add-on you have. Close Firefox and wait 20 seconds or so to insure it really is gone.
Re-Start Firefox and go back to your add-ons and "Enable" them all again.

Told you it would sound dumb, but it does something and the great delay is over... for a couple months.

I now use Firefox 3.6.6 but this has been ongoing for over a year.

Maybe it will do some good for you too.

[#0005ff]I agree - I retain XMarks and AdBlock but when I did this exercise about a month ago, I found about six Java add-ons - each clearly superceding the last but without having uninstalled or disabled it. Firefox is becoming overblown IMHO.[/#000ff]
m
l
July 11, 2010 7:41:22 AM

Sorry this has taken so long. I downloaded the TDSSKiller from Kaspersky. It found nothing.

I have used ComboFix in the past, but can't recall how it works. Do you recommend that first or GMER (whatever that is)?

Thanks for advice so far. Will think about the Firefox tweak mentioned recently, but I need to clean this computer first!
m
l
July 11, 2010 10:42:44 AM

Glenski said:
Sorry this has taken so long. I downloaded the TDSSKiller from Kaspersky. It found nothing.

I have used ComboFix in the past, but can't recall how it works. Do you recommend that first or GMER (whatever that is)?

Thanks for advice so far. Will think about the Firefox tweak mentioned recently, but I need to clean this computer first!

Go for ComboFix but first visit http://www.bleepingcomputer.com to read up on it before downloading it from there as well. It can cause serious damage if misused but follow the instructions and it can also be extremely beneficial in a screwed-up system.

m
l
!