Open the Explore Window to the folder of my choice.

Tags:
  • Start Menu
  • Microsoft
  • Windows XP
July 13, 2005 7:51:59 PM

When I click on Explore, it opens up at "C:\Documents and Settings\My
Name\Start Menu". What do I do so that it opens up at a different place?

Thanks muchly,
Margaret

More about : open explore window folder choice

Anonymous
July 13, 2005 9:18:13 PM

Instead of using Explore,
Have you tried creating a shortcut to your program ?

The explore default is normal, when it opens C:\Documents....

"Margaret Bartley" <margaretDOTbartley@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> When I click on Explore, it opens up at "C:\Documents and Settings\My
> Name\Start Menu". What do I do so that it opens up at a different place?
>
> Thanks muchly,
> Margaret

Anonymous
July 14, 2005 12:05:17 AM

Margaret Bartley wrote:
> When I click on Explore, it opens up at "C:\Documents and
> Settings\My Name\Start Menu". What do I do so that it opens
> up at a different place?
> Thanks muchly,
> Margaret

Are you're talking about right clicking on the Start button and
selecting Explore near the top of the menu that pops up? If
that's what you're doing then it's opening at your Start menu
because that's the location from which you launched Windows
Explorer.

Go to Start -> All Programs -> Accessories. You should see a
shortcut for Windows Explorer. Click on it. It should open to
the default which is "My Documents".

If you want a shortcut to Windows Explorer that opens to
another location then you need to create a new shortcut. Here's
how:
Right click an open area on your desktop and select New ->
Shortcut from the menu that pops up.
This should launch a box titled Create Shortcut.
Enter Explorer in the location box.
Click Next.
Enter Windows Explorer as the name and click Finish.
Now, right click on the new Explorer shortcut and select
Properties from the menu.
Click on the Shortcut tab.
What's entered in the Target line determines where Explorer
starts from.
Here you can enter the whatever starting point you want as long
as the target line begins with %systemroot%\explorer.exe /e,
(Note the trailing comma must be included).
Here are a few options you can copy and paste into the Target
line:

Open to C drive
%systemroot%\explorer.exe /e, C:

Open to My Computer
%systemroot%\explorer.exe
/e,::{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}

Open to My Documents
%systemroot%\explorer.exe
/e,::{450D8FBA-AD25-11D0-98A8-0800361B1103}

Here's an article with more information:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307856&sd=tech

Good luck

Nepatsfan
Anonymous
July 14, 2005 1:44:48 PM

You sound like you are doing a right-click on the Start button and
selection Explore. That will (and should) start at C:\Documents and
Settings\My Name\Start Menu.

Create a shortcut to Explorer where you want it (perhaps in the Quick
Launch Bar?)

You will have to look up the syntax to get the target right.
I like mine starting in an Explorer window at C with folders open and
I use:
%SystemRoot%\explorer.exe /e,C:\

Change the properties of the shortcut to what suits you.
Command-Line Switches for Windows Explorer

....Alan
--
Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
http://dts-l.org/index.html

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 15:51:59 -0700, "Margaret Bartley"

!