Hiper Type-R 480w - will it cope?

tomdrum

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2007
Sorry for another PSU question...but im going to buy an 8800GT in the near future, and am wondering if my power supply will be able to handle it.

Im running a 480w Hiper Type-R currently for my oc'd e6400, 2 gigs of pc8500 and an nvidea 6600 :)P) And it runs perfectly.

When i upgrade to the 8800 gt will it cope? Im sorry PSU are one of the things i dont know anything about. If i do need a new one, are there better makes of power supplies to try? I have found hiper very good so far.

Thanks for all your kind help :D

Hiper is pretty good. Check the 12v rails. They should total about 32 amps or higher for the 8800gts. But it won't hurt to try your old ps first. If you get random reboots or artifacts, then you might want to change to something better.

Hey akhilles, do you have stock HSF on your 5000+?
Getting back to topic, I'd think your Hiper should be fine. I'd start at stock settings and see how things go first. All PSU's degrade during time, so things can get interesting later, if your pushing your limits today.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
Based on looking at the Official XS Tiered PSU Manufacturer Brand Listing Phase III That PSU is probably a tier4. That is one tier above complete junk. You might want to look for a new PSU, or you could just wait for it to fry your system, then you will know that you need to get a new one.

Check the PSU forum for good choices, but be careful, not all advice is sound. Corsair VX series are good and relatively cheap. Try to get one OEMed from Seasonic, they make solid PSUs. You can also check the reviews at jonnyguru.com

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
The problem with the Hiper is that since the quality is questionable, if it does have load problems, the result may not be pretty much. With cheapo PSUs, I would prefer there are lots of headroom and not "well it should be ok".

That being said, I think if you run your GPU at 8800GT stock values you should be OK. Mind you, I don't mean Factory OC'd Stock, I mean reference stock. Reference it's power usage is relatively low. When OC'd, it definately uses more power.

Check his sig, GeminII is a cooler :lol:

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006

Well I sorta am.
But if you are poor you are poor.
I remember the days when I had to budget whether I could afford to supersize my fries :>

I'm just saying if you currently have a cheap PSU and don't have money to replace it,
My concern grows the closer to full load the PSU gets.

Cheap PSUs will cost you more over time because they are less efficient.
Cheap PSUs tend to be loader.
Cheap PSUs tend to die than just shutdown or provide just provide insufficient power when overloaded.
Cheap PSUs are more likely to take other parts with them when they go.
Cheap PSUs are more likely to go in the 1st place.

So, no, I don't recommend cheap PSUs.
But this guy clearly does not have spare funds.

I would much prefer a good 450w PSU such as the Corsair than a 600w no-name brand.

Beats me. It's probably best to invest in a cooler if you're into OCing, especially with AMDs. The chart below is for a X6800, not the X2 5000+, but I'm guessing it's still useful.
http://www.anandtech.com/casecoolingpsus/showdoc.aspx?i=3068&p=7

@OP: if you decide to play it safe and get a new PSU, I'd recommend the PC Power & Cooling Silencer 610W. That is a top quality PSU and it will have plenty of juice. Your current PSU will probably be fine too, as long as you don't add a lot of disks or fans or lights.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
Excellent PSU but I think he may have to go cheaper like a Corsair 450VX or equivalent. He probably should look to change it though.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
I can see where you are coming from on your post except what does the above comment mean? Loader than what? What am I saying? Ok ok, let me rephrase that.

loader?

He meant "louder", and he's right. And yes, that Hiper PSU would work very close to its limit, which means lower efficiency and increased heat/noise/electricity bills/risk of blowing up. I have no clue about the OP's budget, but he bought PC8500 RAM so he can't be doing that badly. :)

killer_roach

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2006
I don't see the hierarchies being that big of a deal on power supplies unless you are intending to push the PSU near its load limit, not to mention the top couple of tiers on that list are nearly all exorbitantly expensive (although the OCZs aren't too bad, depending on where you look).

I have a 580W HiPer (Type-R), and it handles everything I throw at it, even with grossly overclocked CPU/GPU, two hard drives, and a Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum (with front panel). Again, YMMV, but I've had good stability even with Foxconn PSUs, even if Xtreme Systems tells you to avoid them at all costs.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
Oh, louder. Trust me I wasn't trying to be a prick, I honestly didn't know what he was talking about. As for the junking of that PSU, you don't have to sell me on it, check my earlier posts.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
I'm surprised to hear that from you, but whatever floats your boat.

The Silencer® 610 EPS12V Power Supply is an excellent PSU and is not IMO exorbitantly expensive. Is $119.00 too much for a tier 1 PSU that is single rail with 49A.

tomdrum

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2007
Ok well alot of info around here. Im going to check out some of the mentioned PSU's and think i will play safe and buy a new one.

Yes i bought pc8500 but they were used from as friend :D (but expensive enough) hence some of my gear isnt top stuff (graphics card lol) I want to spend around £80-£100

But yes i shall put this PSU in my AMD system and buy a nice new one i think. Along with my GPU. And external hdd.......and maybe thrown in a new mobo soon.

Ahh the troubles of keeping up to date.

At least you have some $ to keep up to date :( <depression set in>

tomdrum

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2007
Im interested in the 520HX, is there a difference between VX and HX?

Unfortunately for me they cost £68 :(
Maybe shipping from america would be cheaper, but then i get all that stupid tax and things.

But anyway, good price saving me some money for later.

I checked the Hiper website for specifications. They didn't specify the temperature at which the full output is rated. So it's probably 25 deg. C.

Based on data that I have seen from various PSU manufacturers (at least those who do publish data), you need to derate the output by about 1% per deg. C. over the rated operating temperature. That basically means that at 40 - 50 deg. C (a more likely operating temp.), your 480 watt PSU turns into about a 400 watt PSU or less.

Your first sign of problems would probably be random reboots under heavy graphics load. What happens is you lose a control signal from the PSU called something like "PSGood". This forces a CPU reset and reboot. PSU load drops. PC runs for awhile until next time.

A lot of the "better" PSU's specify full rated output at 50 deg. C.