Major RAM issues, please help!!!!

Zorn

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
Hi guys, I sincerely hope someone can help me. I have a p5k-e/wifi-ap mainboard and 4gb of ram. However, when I install more than 2gb of ram it starts to play up slightly. The most common problem is when I go to extract an archive, I get a corrupted rar error message, but if I do the same extraction with only 2gb of ram in, it works fine. Even if I do it with 3gb in it errors out again. I have tried the /3gb & /pae switches, but to no joy. Please help guys, I really want to know if it is fixable ot if it is the motherboard.

DrMaV

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
like badge says, increase the voltage in bios

or step 2, slow the timings on the memory.

2 sticks require less voltage then 4 sticks.

Is your memory overclocked?
Is your memory on the QVL?

Does your board support 4 sticks of the memory your putting it.

Try separate slots with 2 gigs kits,

run this program to test memory, memtest 3.6

http://www.neowin.net/news/software/07/11/10/memtest-36

This should give you a good start.

Zorn

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
I have run memtest86+ and no errors, also changed the voltages in the ai suite in xp and no joy either ;(

You need to set the memory voltage in BIOS, not AI suite. Try using one DIMM in slot one only. If the system still crashes when you run applications, try the other stick of RAM as a single.

Zorn

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
there are settings for +0.1v, 0.2v, etc, are these the settings and if so, how do I know what the ram is running at?

If you have PC6400, 2.0-2.1v would put it at Mfg. specs. I'm not familiar with your specific MB BIOS features. Try using one DIMM only in slot one and run the system and some apps. If it still crashes, try the other DIMM as a single.

old_man

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2004
I have the same mobo and I hope you are running 64 bit with that much ram. and that is right about setting the voltage and you'll waste your time to go to Asus for help on timing (or any thing), the best thing is go to the Ram manufacturing web sight and find out what they suggest. your motherboard defaults at 1.85v, I am running 4gb of OCZ Alpha VX2 at 2.3v per manufacturing suggestion. If you are running a 32 bit system Asus says to run less than 3gb

Zorn

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
ok, I changed the voltage to 2.1v, seemed to work but then tried agian 10 mins later and it is still corrupting data, even corrupted my crysis install when I saved at these voltages, maybe push it to 2.3?

Which RAM do you have. 2.3v could possibly damage the RAM. Also be sure you have the latest system drivers and BIOS. many times the Mfg. will release a new BIOS version that fixes issues like you are having with the 4 GB RAM not cooperating. If you are using a 32 bit OS, 4 GB RAM will not be recognized and utalized properly. You need a 64 bit OS for 4GB and more RAM.

Zorn

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
I'm using geil ultra low latency, I also just found something interesteing which makes me think it's the board more, i was playing crysis (after having put the voltages to 2.1) and when I hit the console key, I noticed it was showing memory leaks, I'm assuming this would be a board issue then?

The MB works fine when 2 GB are installed, works with no problems right? Works error free right? Then you installed two additional DIMMs and try 4 GB's and the system becomes unstable? And only then? Have you updated the BIOS? There are some MB's that require a BIOS update or a patch to run 4 GB's. I read a review and a user used 4 GBs in the board you are using without issue. It's hard to say, but I'd bet if the MB works fine with 2GB's it's a good board. Will each Dimm (all four) run seperately and not cause system crashes? Is the BIOS up to date? What changes have you made in the BIOS you are using? Geil Ultra Low latency? Have you set the timings in BIOS?