Is the G92 format based on 112 or 128 shader units?

Is the G92 based on 112 or 128 shader units?

• It is based upon 128 with 16 laser-cut for the GT, leaving nVidia "overhead" for a GTS model.

Votes: 9 90.0%
  • It is based on 112, leaving nVidia NO "overhead" for a GTS model.

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters

mitchellvii

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007
One Internet Blogger I read recently claimed that the new G92 platform is actually based upon 112 shader units and NOT 128 like every other 8800 card ever made!. I suppose he thinks this because the GT is just 112 shaders.

He believes that for some reason, nVidia has changed their entire manufacturing model and instead of going 128 and laser-cutting 16 for the GT, thus leaving themselves 16 "overhead" for a Christmas GTS Model, they decided on 112 in 7 groups instead of 8! He claims the G92 GTS, if there even IS one, will just have slightly better vram and a factory OC and that's it - no extra shader units!

Personally, I think this is nuts. What do you think?

lakedude

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Dude, you are in all likelyhood correct about the 128 SPUs, but take a pill and calm down. The big Ape goofed, so what? You never made a mistake before? Like many smart folks he is having trouble computing that he probably made a mistake. Smart folks are accustom to being correct most of the time so when we make a boo boo it can be hard for us to accept. The smarter the person is the more pronounced this effect can be. Fortunately I'm only a little smart so I have no problems admitting when I'm wrong.

Your both wrong, its based off of a newly designed UPC.

The UPC dramatically increases efficiency compared to the dated SPUs and ROPs. This leads to more frames per hour and less heat in your bowels (because of its single slot cooler!).

(UPC=Universal Poop Core.)

mitchellvii

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007
lakedude,

The "big ape" thoroughly abused me, calling me "childish" and my thread a "train wreck" for even suggesting 128 SP. He made out that anyone who payed any attention to "Fudzilla" was a drooling moron. That is why he is paying the price now.

I never pick fights, but if you throw the first punch, you better be ready to bring it.

lakedude

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Right, I get it and I don't disagree on any point. Still, what good does it do to make such a big deal about it? Anyone that cares can read what has been said and judge for themselves. You already have several posts on this same subject. One post to gloat is OK, but you don't need to keep harping on the issue.

SEALBoy

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
First, calm down.

Second, find some sources and give him the links so he can read it himself. If he still doesn't believe you, forget it for now and the when the card is released with 128 SP you can take it up with him again.

Hatman

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2004
Its basically a die shrink of G80 with a few new features added in, but the 128SP's with some disabled still works, it would seem that shaders are also locked with texture units and the bus idth is locked with rops.

So when we have 112SP's on 8800GT we get 28TMU's.
GTX on the other hand has 128SP's to 32TMU's.

Based on those figures, 16SP's is 4TMU's. Funilly enough, that means on GTX tehre are 8 activated and on the GT there are 7.

Same with ROPS and memory bus.
GT has 16rops and 256bit, thats 4x 64bit.
16/4 is 4.

GTX has 24rops and 384bit, thats 6x 64bit.
24/6 is 4.

All this works out exactly right with the old 8800GTS too btw, it simply has one more of the 2nd configuration with rops and bus unlocked and one more tmu/shader conbination locked.

If ya understand that, thats how it works :D

On the fudzilla thing, they have said some whacky things in the past but I find that usually they DO correct their mistakes, so basically they dont tell you something then leave you hanging if they are wrong they will display what htey next heard.

lakedude

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Have you been drinking? Did you edit your post to make it better or worse? :pt1cable:

Hatman

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2004
I dont have the patience to put up with sado's with nothing better to do then point out typos, its pathetic.

Try adding something people may want to read, rather then rubbish.

Paying the price now?
Notice this thread is over 2 weeks old with no participation, and the only people to contribute to it do it after they launched the 112 SPU G80 and then previews trickle in of the G92.

And you lie about why I said your thread was train wreck, I said it because you went all over the place talking about DX10.1 forcing cards to run 4X AA, then including OLEDs and Holodecks as reasons it doesn't matter, etc.

As for childish, that was about your reaction to things, which is exactly what it was.

I never pick fights, but if you throw the first punch, you better be ready to bring it.

I brought it, and you still didn't do anyting to support it, no $300 GTS-128 by Dec 3rd and not even by Xmas would they be in stock/available at that price, that's where I said you were dreaming.

So you've got one more day for part A, and I doubt I'll have to worry about part B either, but you can keep dreaming.

lakedude

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I'll tell you what is pathetic, your spelling/typos but somehow only in the last paragraph. I'm world's worst speller so if I notice that your spelling is off something is pretty serious.

As fas as all that goes I figured you typed the main body of your post sober, got drunk, and edited in the last paragraph after you were totally ripped.

Sorry if I assumed incorrectly. I was hoping for a good story about your fun night out on the town chasing women and getting hammered.

gamebro

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2007
According to X-BIT LABS the new 8800GTS will indeed only have 112 shaders, here is a small quote-

"while the GeForce 8800 GTS will be replaced with an updated version that has 112 active shader processors to fill in the gap"

You can find this in the conclusion their review of the leadtek 8800GT here---
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/leadtek-8800gt-extreme_21.html#sect0
And based on other things I've heard, it does sound like it'll be 112. I hope it is 128, but either way does it matter? Just as long as it performs over an ultra, it'll do what it was supposed to do.

Great grape ape abused you? maybe... I don't know, I would certainly hope not though... However, what you are doing here isn't much better is it? Especially since you might actually be wrong yet! :heink:

When the new 8800GTS comes out and is benched, and I see the editors mention it has 112 shaders.... I will remember you and your claims mitchellvii.. Your story will remind me in my life, why it is never good to shout WOLF unless you know for sure there is a wolf! :D

Now amidst this ridiculous fight, another even more ridiculous fight broke out between 2 other members!!!

HATMAN--- I don't think lakedude meant it in a mean way, I think he was just joking around.

Lakedude--- People don't really like it when others point out grammar or spelling errors.

Now everybody shut the fudge up and go to hell, I am trying to watch TV here! :D :D :D

realibrad

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2007
skittle.....
It was a cold winter night. There was fresh snow on the ground and a crisp smell of Pine in the air. Mitchellvii was on his way home from a long day at the Dildo factory. It was a night like any other, with plans to eat his McDonalds and watch TV. He was sure to be alone, as he was a closet Homosexual, and would not even admit it to himself. You could compair him to Mr. Garrison, before he thought he had molested by his father, when it fact, it was by Kenny G., by I digress. The lonely nights had started to get to him more lately, and no longer wanted to pay for Trany Strett Hookers. He had just unrapped his double quarter pounder, when he heard a sound out side of the door. "whos there" Mitchellvii called out, but there was no answer. Again he heard a noise, but it quickly fled from his ears. He grabbed his gun and a his bottle of Sex-o-lube. He crept cautiously and quietly to the door. When he was just at the entry way, he heard a voice. "Hello, I sell grapes". Michellvii knew this was the man of his dreams. He let the man in and asked if he had a sample of the grapes he sold. "No, but I do have some nuts you could taste". Mitchellvii knew that the man of his dreams had finally come. Mitchellvii riped of his cloths and lubed his self up, and yelled, "take me you Ape, take what you want!!". The winter nights quickly heated up, and just when things were about to come to fruition, Mitchellvii's father came into the room. Mitchellvii had not come out to his father. Not wanting to admitt that he was a Flaming Homosexual, he yelled, "help father, this man is raping me, he is "thoroughly abusing me!!"".

And so is the story of how the "big ape" thoroughly abused Mitchellvii

realibrad

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2007
If there any other back stories that anyone wants to know, let me know and ill tell you a little tale. Youll love the one about when cleeve went to the all girl college "Beaver Tech" as a guest speaker. Its a story for the whole family

M_with_one_M

Distinguished
May 6, 2006

I still don't know how many SP's the gts will have, but he sure was right about you beeing childish.

quantumsheep

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
Can i just reiterate something i heard a couple of years ago:

Arguing over the internet is like running in the special olympics. Even if you win, you're still a retard.