IBM's Watson vs. Trivia Geniuses

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have a look at the link below and head to the first video to see IBM's supercomputer Watson open a can on a few past Jeopardy champions. Well, it was pretty close, but Watson looks like a tough competitor. No doubt I'll be checking those episodes out when they air (in Feb I think?).

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/13/ibms-watson-supercomputer-destroys-all-humans-in-jeopardy-pract/

stingstang

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
I can't understand why they needed a super computer to do this. The whole process is about programming, not computing speed. All Watson is is an expensive search engine.

akula2

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2009

And, how those well written super programs are supposed to get executed to get the best results in minimum time ;)
So, your statement has a big hole in it because Software enables the Hardware and vice-versa.
It's roughly something like saying that a Ferrari 458 Italia car is all about Petrol, not its Engine!

Indeed, Watson is not connected to the Internet. Instead, it uses a database full of info from encyclopedias, dictionaries, various literature books, math, etc... Wonder how much storage it has on board?

wanamingo

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2011
"Watson, a supercomputer, will be using DeepQA technology to procure Jeopardy! answers. It is armed with a Linux system that is powered by 10 refrigerator-sized racks of IBM POWER 750, with 15 terabytes of RAM and a 2,880 processor core."

Watson can scan 2 million pages in about 3 seconds.

But will it understand Trebeks sly wit? I think not.

It absolutely killed Jennings and Rutter today! Watson ended up with $35K or so, while Rutter had 10K and Jennings 5K. Watson did miss the the final jeopardy question though, which I and the human players knew, so I don't feel that stupid. ;)

wanamingo

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2011
ken-jennings-overlords.jpg

Good News Everyone! I now read Buwish's post in Dr. Farnsworth's voice!

:D

Everything is good news to Farnsworth!

Overall though, I was very impressed with Watson and what IBM did. Give it a few more years-decades and we'll have robots just like in Futurama running around talking/acting/understanding like humans.

GunBladeType-T

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2010

Is that the button that leads to the mind-melder ending from Fallout 1? or Beginning of Fallout 2 where the Advanced Power Armor teams guns down the family fresh out of the vault! :eek: Cool conan o brian vaultek icon!

GunBladeType-T

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2010
Well Dr. Watson is an important feature on Microsoft OS's and does some good scanning and identifies problems hardware-software-I/O! I remeber IBM's Big Blue knocked out the Chess Champion! I'm wondering what Quantum 3D does in terms of Super Computer functions! Lots of competitiors on the market, who ever has the most chips out usually wins, unless you bring out obne of those Alienware Dudes with the Big Cranium Orb to compete! Have them compete against super computers and the public!

GunBladeType-T

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2010
Are those Robotic Overlords the Dudes with the Chain Guns in the seats unloading the ammo at those mutants! or Google Android Phones Commercials or forever expanding Werewolf Technology from MG IV Guns of the patriots! It would be cool to get some people like you guys at the YMCA tek dudes and sci-fi people! Should almost open up here a SCi-FI team! Great topic guys i'm out with this last remark! Dude that looks like that mad scientist from animanics with wacko-jacko-warner sister is comical too, reminds me of Area-51 by midway games where the guy makes a remark the Cray Betrayed US! and goes nutz haha!

Status
Not open for further replies.