Sign in with
Your question
Closed

HOw to open .Pi2 (Portrait Innovations Photo) file?

Tags:
  • Photo
  • Format
  • Mac OS X
  • Product
Last response: in Mac Os X
June 17, 2010 10:10:07 PM

How do I open a .Pi2 (Portrait Innovations Photo) image file?
Description of file: High-resolution digital photo format used by Portrait Innovations studios; saved in a proprietary image format that can only be viewed using Portrait Innovations software.PI2 files may be included on photo CDs along with low-res .JPG images; the Portrait Innovations (PI2) files are high-res versions of the images that are encrypted for copyright purposes.

Description at: http://www.fileinfo.com/extension/pi2

P.S. GraphicConverter does NOT work.

More about : open pi2 portrait innovations photo file

June 18, 2010 10:38:01 AM

You have written it right there...

you need 'Portrait Innovations' software.
Score
June 18, 2010 2:52:36 PM

Have you tried XnView? I can't attest that it will work, but a bit of Googling implies it may do the trick. Good luck!
Score
June 19, 2010 4:57:48 PM

1st: No, XnView does not work.
2nd: Were can I download "Portrait Innovations' software" ? ( you could also just give me a link to download the file if it is a t0rr3nt )

Thanks,
Ben
Score
June 22, 2010 2:26:00 AM

Are you trying to open the files from the "Portrait Innovations" chain of stores? If so, good luck. I am sure they use VERY proprietary products and like "proofs" of the past, you have to go to them for anything.

You might convince someone at a store to convert them for you. Sorry to not provide better help, but I think you are stuck on this one.
Score
June 22, 2010 11:36:18 PM

Unfortunately, when I got these pictures put (and paid quite a bit for it) on a cd, I had no idea that the high quality pictures would be in an encrypted format. Now, unless someone can give me a solution, I have to go back to the store to get my pictures printed, and that is so much more expensive than using Walmart.

Thanks for the help so far,
Ben
Score
June 23, 2010 12:17:31 AM

That is how they hook you into coming back and paying them. I really don't see any way around that store imposed limitation.
Score
June 23, 2010 2:24:20 PM

Okay. Maybe somebody out there knows how to open this file.

Thanks,
Ben
Score
July 29, 2010 10:02:58 PM

We just had pictures done there a week ago and bought about $250 worth from them and as part of the package got the cd's too. When I first put it in I couldn't figure out how to open the .pi2 files either, which is why I ended up here looking for solutions too. I tried the XnViewer-but no luck. After messing with it for a while, I realized there was a folder on the CD titled Images- and it contained JPEGs of the photo session. My photo software was just looking at the D:\ drive and was saying no images were present. But, when I browsed for a folder on the drive and selected the Images folder it pulled them all over.
If your CD definitely does not contain the Image folder, I would take it back to Portrait Innovations and see if they can convert them to JPEG for you-since getting the CD is one of the reasons you probably spent more money buying a package with them like we did.
Score
July 30, 2010 1:22:30 AM

This is quite quick and simple. You cannot open them. They are written with proprietary software, it is just that simple. The reason they do that is so you have to come back to them, it is like copyright protection. If you want to open them and use them with anything else, you will have to have them convert the files for you, which I am sure they will do for a price.
Score
August 6, 2010 2:40:14 AM

Quote:
We just had pictures done there a week ago and bought about $250 worth from them and as part of the package got the cd's too. When I first put it in I couldn't figure out how to open the .pi2 files either, which is why I ended up here looking for solutions too. I tried the XnViewer-but no luck. After messing with it for a while, I realized there was a folder on the CD titled Images- and it contained JPEGs of the photo session. My photo software was just looking at the D:\ drive and was saying no images were present. But, when I browsed for a folder on the drive and selected the Images folder it pulled them all over.
If your CD definitely does not contain the Image folder, I would take it back to Portrait Innovations and see if they can convert them to JPEG for you-since getting the CD is one of the reasons you probably spent more money buying a package with them like we did.

Yes, I know about that. Unfortunately, these images are low quality.

Quote:
This is quite quick and simple. You cannot open them. They are written with proprietary software, it is just that simple. The reason they do that is so you have to come back to them, it is like copyright protection. If you want to open them and use them with anything else, you will have to have them convert the files for you, which I am sure they will do for a price.

Yes, I know...
I am hoping maybe somebody has figured out how to open them.

Anybody???

---
Ben
Score
June 9, 2011 2:19:16 AM

I work for Portrait Innovations. You can not open the files because of the fact that we encrypt the photos and burn them on to the cd as thumbnails. The photos are copy-written and we own them. They DO NOT belong to you. You agreed to this at the time of purchase. Before we can even process you photos for print, you have to agree to the waiver that the photographer showed you on the TV screen. This waves your rights to the photos & it also states that we own your photos. If you need more prints please bring the CD back to the studio and we will be happy to reprint new sheets for 15.00(one color no special effect) or 30.00(with special effect) per 10x13 sheet. We DO NOT convert files, that will never happen. Sorry. :( 
Score
August 28, 2011 2:27:22 AM

No one forced anyone to use the company in question. Name calling will not solve the problem. Based on the agreement signed by the OP (and others) you really only have 2 options. Go back to PI for additional pix (and costs) or get a current employee to "steal" from his/her company and do for free. The second option is just plain silly.

So, go back and deal with the devil or go elsewhere. Tirades will not solve the problem.

Score
August 28, 2011 2:56:23 AM

This topic has been closed by Hunter315
Score
!