Tags:
  • Configuration
  • Windows 7
  • Dual Boot
  • HD
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Windows 7
December 6, 2009 10:42:02 AM

:bounce:  I'm looking for the steps involved in creating a dual boot system with Windows Xp & Windows 7.
I have Windows Xp Pro 32bits installed on a 100GB partition and want to add Windows 7 Home Premium 64bits as a secondary OS on the same partition.

The System I have is as follows
Phenom II X4 955
4GB Ram
XFX Radeon HD 5750
1 - 500GB HD SATA
1 - 160GB HD PATA
1 - DVD Burner SATA
1 - DVD Burner PATA

More about : dual boot win win home premium

December 6, 2009 2:59:38 PM

The problem with this solution is that it requires that one have a beta release of Windows 7 1) to be able to use Diskpart and 2) to able to access the System Recovery Option. On the OEM version of Window 7 Home Premium that have the file Diskpart can not be found in any directory of the disk
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 6, 2009 5:22:30 PM

You can't dual boot XP & W7 on the same partition. You need to create a new partition for W7.
You need to use a partitioning program like Partition Magic or Gparted (free) to create a new partition on the drive containing XP.
I see you have 2 drives, so you could install W7 on the second drive.
m
l
December 13, 2009 6:58:46 AM

Thanks For The Help Folks, what I decided to do was install Win 7 on a fresh hard drive with a large partition then using the partition shrink app in the administrative tools --> computer management --> disk management I created a new partition for Win Xp.

I installed Xp on the new partition (Both partitions are primary partitions with Win 7 set to active). After Win Xp is installed and I'm logged in a then ran EasyBCD (Free Application) to configure the boot loader that I can dual boot from both OS'es.

But of course this approach requires a fresh install, but it doesn't require using a partition manager, and once all the drivers/updates for Win 7 become available for my hardware and software I can then go into Win 7 reformat the Xp partition and use the partition shrink app to extend the partition to cover the Xp partition or use that partition for something else.

Note: You can use the following link to see a full step by step method on how this is done at http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/8057-dual-boot-ins...; step two is what I replicated since step one requires a beta release of Win 7.

Again thanks for the assistance.
m
l
December 15, 2009 6:48:54 PM

i had windows xp and vista on my computer and i formatted the vista partition and installed w7 ,no problems at all.i didn't need any programs to configure the booting...
m
l
December 15, 2009 8:10:12 PM

The reason most likely is because you already had two partitions. One for Vista and One for Xp and when you then loaded Win 7 into the Vista partition, Win 7 searched for other OS'es and add Xp to the Boot Loader.

Back when I use to have Win98, Win NT & Win 2k I setup one machine to boot all 3 Os'es on one machine starting with Win98 since it would overwrite the boot sector.

Then I would install Win NT & Win2k for a Triple Boot System. Of course Win98 since it was only Fat32 could not read the NT partitions unless I installed specialized software for this purpose.
m
l
December 28, 2009 12:43:55 AM

Another option I would like to suggest is to use Sun's VirtualBox with Windows 7 and then run Windows 2000 or Windows Xp in a Virtual Machine. The Sun VirtualBox is a Free Download!
m
l
!