Sign in with
Your question

Addation of second harddrive causing stall on POST?

Last response: in Storage
June 6, 2008 11:56:28 PM

So my problem is i installed a second sata hard drive to put all my torrents on and seed off of. i installed the drive booted up no problem moved all my files over was detected in windows good to go. but then whenever i restart my computer it hangs on the post and i cant access bios or go any further i hit the reset button then its fine. i tryed switching around sata ports and cables. i even switched to the other sata controller which i thought i fixed it but no luck. i ran seatools and it said all drives where fine. (They are both sata barracuda drives the main is the new 7200.11 500g and the second is an older 7200.10 model)I have no indication really that its the hard drive but the problems havnt started until i installed it. Any suggestions please im running out of places to ask. let me know if u need more details
a b G Storage
June 11, 2008 8:48:38 PM

Upgrade BIOS to latest is a good step.
June 14, 2008 6:08:50 PM

bios are good.update on the issue though. i reformatted both drives and when i go to install vista from cd it only shows the second smaller drive that i plugged in. doing some digging around i found it changed the other drive to raw storage so when i went to try and format it said the drive was read only. i messed around with some commands in dos on there and finally got that to format. so now both drives off disk( i dont have an operating system installed anymore) show the correct storage amount when i look for drivers or what not the new problem is i still cant see it when i have the option to install vista. i beleive its still as a read only drive and i have no idea how to change using just dos. help?
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
June 14, 2008 9:15:23 PM

What PSU, make/model? It may be struggling to startup extra HD. It would help if you post full system spec.

Mike
June 17, 2008 12:41:47 AM

i dont think thats it but here are my specs:

LIAN LI PC-60BPLUSII Black Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
Rosewill RX950-S-B ATX 12V v2.2 & EPS 12V v2.91 950W Power Supply
4 gig CORSAIR Dominator ddr2 1066
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz processor
EVGA 640-P2-N829-A3 GeForce 8800GTS 640MB 320-bit GDDR3 video card
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty soundcard
GIGABYTE GA-X38-DQ6 motherboard
Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST3500320AS 500GB( main hard drive) my other hard drive is a barracuda aswell but an older 16mb cache model and 320gig
and 2 samsung 20x dvd drives
i also have a zalman cpu cooler

i tryed installing vista on my other harddrive(the 320) but it said the volume was not sutable to install too. when i try access info on my main harddrive it tells me it is a read only drive. could that be why vista wont see it as a harddrive to install to? can i changed this in dos?
June 17, 2008 12:16:25 PM

Rosewill NOT good reputation, is Tier 5 on PSU ratings. Download Seatools and check the drives. Try a Live Linux CD, if that loads OK would suspect drives, cables or motherboard controller.

Mike.
June 17, 2008 5:48:17 PM

seatools all drives passed all the short and long tests. im gonna try switching the sata controllers that my harddrives are connected to if that doesnt work ill try cd and let you know how that goes. thanks for all the sugestions btw
!