CRYSIS Video problem. HELP!

mgtech

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2007
I downloaded the CRYSIS DEMO the other day and it looked amazing even on my pny 7900gs on medium settings. Then I went to play the next day and the graphics don't exist. There is picture, but whether or not you can call it graphics or not is debatable. People are invisible, mountains are everywhere, but can be seen through top left corner of screen is dark etc. WTF? This doesn't happen during normal usage, just when I try to play CRYSIS, so I figured it must be the DEMO, which I reinstalled to no avail. Any help or advice, thanks.

spoonboy

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2007
Have you got the latest drivers??

Check some other games you like, play them through a bit make sure you havent got a hardware problem. Try altering the res, bring it down to something low like 800x600. If that fails try latest nvidia drivers. Then I'd say check youve got correct monitor drivers. Make sure you havent got any sh't running in the background before you try to load up.

rayzor

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2004
don't be running things like a virus scan, web browser, windows media player, etc... don't really worry about all the small background tasks in task manager, unless they are taking up too much of your memory or cpu, in which case you need to tweak some options using the msconfig tool. Sounds to me like you should try getting the latest drivers for your card at the nvidia website. If you already have the latest drivers, reinstall them. If that doesn't work, reinstall the game. If that doesn't work, google search for the latest direct x updates from microsoft and install those. If all of those things don't work, let us know and we'll take it from there.

also, tell us more about what you have. vista or xp? 64 or 32 bit? Latest drivers? Also, make sure you are not running any programs while installing the game. This could potentially mess up the installation so just let your comp. sit while it installs games, if you haven't been doing this already.

rogerdandy

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2007
Turn off AA in your driver settings and make sure the AA is off in the in game settings. I upgraded drivers too select the beta option from the nvidia site. That fixed all my probs. I had the same thing on 7800GTXs.

mgtech

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2007
Thanks for the drivers ideas, I just downloaded them off of nvidia's website. I'll restart and see if it helps. Be back in a minute.

Alex The PC Gamer

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007
I've seen graphic anomalities when people are overclocking...if so, turn back your normal configuration.

If you're not overclocking, your hardware may be running hot (or faulty)...you can find out by downloading programs that monitor temperatures...such as NTune for your 7900GS.

If its a software issue then try reinstalling your videocard drivers with the latest NVidia drivers.

Hope this helps.

mgtech

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2007
This is what I am running:
AMD X2 5200+
GIGABYTE 590 SLI bios s5_f7
PNY 7900 GS (NO OC) -Latest drivers off of nvidia- 163.75_forceware_winxp_32bit_english_whql
2 250gb seagate hard drives

Windows XP Pro 32 bit

CRYSIS DEMO- reinstalled once

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006

Turn back your overclocking!!!!!....., Blasphemer. :D NEVER!!!!, when you pry my smoking fried video card outta my cold dead fingers....hehehehe!!

mgtech

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2007
Currently redownloading drivers, then I will close firefox and re-install CRYSIS AGAIN.
YES, IHAVE TRIED IT ON LOW SETTINGS.

ssmaniac

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2007
I'm not sure if your still having this problem, but I have a evga 7900gt ko and was also having this problem. I actually turned AA on 2x and that fixed it....give it a shot I guess.

Anoobis

Splendid
Feb 4, 2006
OK, I'm going to be real nice.

According to your post you are running the 163.75. The current Beta Drivers for Crysis are 169.04 which are what you get when you download them from the link I just gave you.

You do not need to re-install the demo, just the drivers.

Alex The PC Gamer

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007

Can you hear the sarcasm lol!!!

Anoobis

Splendid
Feb 4, 2006
You say:
This is what I am running:
AMD X2 5200+
GIGABYTE 590 SLI bios s5_f7
PNY 7900 GS (NO OC) -Latest drivers off of nvidia- 163.75_forceware_winxp_32bit_english_whql
2 250gb seagate hard drives

Windows XP Pro 32 bit
I replied:
You've got the wrong drivers. Go here:

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/betadrivers.aspx
You reply:
Currently redownloading drivers
I don't have the wrong drivers, those are the ones I just downloaded!!!!

I reply:
OK, I'm going to be real nice.

According to your post you are running the 163.75. The current Beta Drivers for Crysis are 169.04 which are what you get when you download them from the link I just gave you.

You do not need to re-install the demo, just the drivers.

You reply:
was the one on my computer.
What do you think is some sort of chat room where things take place in real-time?

If you're running the 169.04 Betas then you've got the right ones. Re-install them and see if it helps. You do not need to re-install the demo.

warpete

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2007
I am a system's builder and I have built two systems specifically for Crysis. These are 100% CLEAN- FULL installs of windows Vista Ultimate (32bit). My main system is using Nvidia's 680i chipset on an EVGA board and I have two 8800GTX EVGA cards running in SLI. My processor is an Intel EE X6800. Memory is Corsair 8888C4 (2GB) which is on EVGA's QVL approved list. Power supply is MORE then enough. I installed Vista on ONE 150GB WD Raptor hard drive so as not to have RAID problems with Vista. All I did was install Vista (full version), all updates from Microsoft (and of course all motherboard drivers) and then I installed Crysis, Bioshock, the new Call of Duty 4 Demo and Stalker. The video drivers I installed were 169.04 downloaded from EVGA's web Site. Active X is the latest. All games installed pay at the very HIGHEST settings with absolutely no problems whatsoever----EXCEPT Crysis. On my 1920 x 1200 monitor, I have to drop to Medium settings to get Crysis to run at all. This is even after I perform the Crysis system check and it recommends the settings to be VERY HIGH. If I turn on AA, the game will not even start. I then removed the 169.04 drivers the proper way in Vista---and then I always use driver sweeper in safe mode to clean up. My next step was to install the 169.02 drivers---same thing, all games work very well EXCEPT Crysis. Next step was to try older drivers. The current drivers on Nvidia's site are the 163.75 for Vista 32bit. With these drivers I could actually play the game in HIGH settings, but if I turned on AA to ANY setting, I could not even start the game. There is absolutely nothing on this system that is overclocked or tweaked in any way. My PC-Pitstop score is 4785 with no problems detected. Defragmentation was performed after each driver install. Every game worked on the very highest settings---except for Crysis. My second system is not as powerful, but fully capable of playing Crysis. Same thing---all games play very well except Crysis. The 163.75 drivers work much better then the 169.** drivers, and I can't turn on AA AT ALL and even start the game. All I am presenting here are the facts. I can not stress enough that I built these systems with Crysis in mind and I wanted a complete, compatible and uncorrupted setup. Considering the other games worked very, very well but Crysis would not, I can only make the assumption that there is a massive problem with this game. One last thing--I built a system for my Fiance'e who is not into gaming, but does quite a lot of video editing----so the system can handle that. No SLI, just a quad-core Intel, very fast memory (4 Gigs) and an ATI very high-end video card. RAID 1 also. I didn't bother installing the other games, but I installed the Crysis demo, and I downloaded and installed the very latest ATI drivers. SAME THING. I could play Crysis in high settings (but the game ran choppy) and could not even start the game with AA set. Medium quality setting worked best and smoothed out the game. By the way, Crysis recommended--even for this system, very high settings. NADA I don't know what else to say or do. After everything else, I installed 3DMark06 on my main system. On a totally untweaked system---my scores rocked! Crysis will not work for me--that's all I can tell you and I am getting too old to try to find solutions. If it doesn't work "out of the box" I no longer want to fool with it. I am tired of this.

Alex The PC Gamer

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007

I am afraid there is no miracle answers to your question. Not that I can confirm that but I don't think the demo of Crysis enables you to use SLI. Regardless, you may not be able to play this game at very high settings although you should play this game at higher settings than most of us given you have 8800gtx in SLI (WOW!).

You may want to see what people get in FPS when the actual game comes out as only then will people be able to put their benchmarks with SLI system configurations.

Alex

PCD

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
My PC:
Striker Extreme
E6600
2GB Corsair DDR2 800 at 4.4.4.12
8800 GTX
SoundBlaster X-Fi Fatal1ty XtremeGamer
5.1 Sound
WinXP SP2 with all patches.
Latest version of DirectX9c
Nvidia 169.04
Antivirus disabled.
Game set at Highest setting.
Benchmark_GPU.bat in Crysis gives an average of ~30 frames/sec.
When using the DX10 hack I get ~20 frames/sec

I wouldn't wonder if Alex is correct in that the Crysis demo is not SLI enabled. Crysis requires lots of RAM and Vista is wasting lots of RAM when playing games. If you don't believe me check this article at Anandtech: A Messy Transition (Part 2): Windows XP, Vista, and the 2GB Barrier
Link: http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=3044

Hopefully MS fixes this in SP1 for Vista as they says it fixes performance issues.