Sign in with
Your question

Asus P5K-E Wifi/App Edition OnBoard Audio Stuttering

Last response: in Motherboards
November 19, 2007 2:28:58 PM

Hello there, i recently had an older motherboard until i upgraded my computer, i now have the asus p5k-3 wifi app edition motherboard and i am using onboard sound and im noticing audio skipping in my tracks in media player, playing games and in general use. They are just simply audio stutters where the song may repeat the same word a few times and then carry on, this is not the MP3 doing this, its random. Sometimes when loading things on the pc sometimes songs really suffer and they jump and stutter like crazy. Anyone help me? Ive installed the newest soundmax from the site!
a b V Motherboard
November 19, 2007 3:01:54 PM

If you are running Windows XP, run Windows update through the browser. There should be a high def audio update listed. After updating, install the hi def audio drivers that came with the board. This should not be necessary with Windows Vista.
November 20, 2007 8:38:15 AM

Hmm,, ive just visited windows update and viewed all available ones (about 7 so far) and installed them, but none where a high def update. Ran the updater a few times and still cant find it. Ill try the high def from the board CD later on. But thanks for the help!
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
November 20, 2007 11:45:34 AM

Try turning off Wi-Fi and play the song. See if the problem goes away.
November 22, 2007 8:18:20 AM

I dont have wifi on my board, i disabled the connections in device manager, the only one i have is the ethernet controller.
December 17, 2007 5:42:10 AM

I have this SAME problem, and it's getting old...quick.
Is it my board, or could it be Vista?

I am get-get-get-getting tired of thi-thi-th-th-this skipping! =)

I have a slightly different model, but very close!
Asus P5K-V

H-H-H-HELP!
December 17, 2007 10:58:07 AM

I ran into a similar problem with an Audigy ZS card and had to replace it. Suggest you try another sound card and see if it fixes it.
January 15, 2008 4:20:07 PM

Yep, also the same on my P5K-E Wireless edition running vista - anyone found a solution yet?
January 24, 2008 3:22:03 PM

Same problem here with my P5K-E/WIFI-AP.
I have tried changing just about every hardware in my pc in hopes of correcting the issue, hdd/vga/memory etc.
But to no avail.
Asus have released 3 bios updates since I bought it, so im worried this something they cannot fix, as it looks like many users have the same problem.
January 24, 2008 3:41:41 PM

Found the solution for me on another board, but can't remember just which one.

Audio stuttering on my system was apparently caused by the Jmicron hard drive controller device driver incorrectly identifying an IDE drive as SCSI. I replaced the Jmicron controller device driver with the Microsoft standard device driver and audio problems went away.
January 24, 2008 3:55:35 PM

hm, thats a pci-e controler isnt it? My ta770 uses that chip, with the standard (MS) drivers only time it uses other is in RAID. Odd. I have only sata hdds and my audio is HD Realtek 888 or something.

Im on xp but mine has TWO audio drivers.

The MS one is "High Definition Audio Driver Package-KB888111"

The second listed in add/remove control panel "RealTek High Definition Audio Driver"

I have no skip but diff board-Im just thinking you need both drivers regardless.

Do all of you have IDE hard drives- lets get a list of hardware configs so it can be figured out.
January 24, 2008 4:57:57 PM

I have the jmicron controller disabled as I dont have any IDE or esata drives.
Have 2 sata drives in raid0 on the intel controller.
Tried without raid and every possible software(vista32/64/XP)/driver scenario, same story.

However I only get skipping in games, not when playing audio in windows.

specs:

p5k-e
q6600
corsair hx 520 psu

Memory, hdd and vga are not the problem in my case, as Ive tried changing them
January 24, 2008 5:02:30 PM

Have any of you asked asus? I know IF they reply even right....maybe if you ALL emailed asus the same day hahahaha. For a board of that cost to not do something as simple as good audio is unacceptable in my opinion.
a b V Motherboard
January 24, 2008 5:06:38 PM

I think aquasapien is on the right track. Set your JMicron controller up as IDE instead of SCSI. That way you can ensure that DMA is being used. Sound stuttering is a common symptom of DMA not being enabled.

Go to device manager, right click on the JMicron SCSI devices, select update driver, select let me choose driver, manually install the standard Microsoft IDE driver for the controller.

Post back if this stops the stuttering.
January 24, 2008 5:19:35 PM

he has it disabled so how could that stop DMA? Worth a try though. Enable it in bios and give it a go I would. What do you have to loose?
a b V Motherboard
January 24, 2008 5:28:06 PM

Xtreeme said:
he has it disabled so how could that stop DMA? Worth a try though. Enable it in bios and give it a go I would. What do you have to loose?

Cafu obviously posted his message while I was still typing mine. Perhaps it isn't the JMicron. The P5B's had a similar problem with sound, usually accompanied with mouse skipping/lag, and in most cases it was the JMicron at fault. What about the Intel SATA ports, are they using IDE emulation? Anyone try different sound drivers?
January 24, 2008 5:56:35 PM

Thanks for the feedback.
Yes, I have tried many different sound drivers.

I almost had an orgasm yesterday when I noticed Asus posted a new WHQL sound drivers for vista32/64, the first vista sound drivers update since I got my board.
No help in that driver though..
February 4, 2008 6:20:03 PM

Well.. I think I just might have solved the problem (in my case a least).
It had nothing to do with audio codec/drivers.

Like I said earlier, I only had audio problems in games, not in windows.
I have my computer hooked up to a 26" LG LCD TV through a dvi to vga cable.

It seems like it was the refresh rate of the monitor that was the problem.
Default option was 60 hz in windows and any games.
However, If I changed it manually to the maximum 75 hz, all lags/audio glitches seems to have disappeared!

So, a tip for gamers with lags, audio probs, try turning your screen refresh rate to the max, in the GAME(any game) options, not windows.

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=57821&mode...

March 1, 2008 4:19:20 PM

I had the exact same problem. But what rwpritchett said helped me out and now i have no more problems. It worked like a charm.
March 1, 2008 4:43:21 PM

I have a similar problem and it hasn't worked itself out. Still working on it. :\
March 3, 2008 1:32:53 AM

I have restored my audio on my P5K deluxe WiFi board by downloading SoundMax audio driver. My OS is windows XP pro, and I downloaded a 32bit file 2K_XP, unzipped it, and it installed the driver and my sound returned. I hope this will help.
March 7, 2008 9:24:25 PM

I can confirm after wasting half a day that rwpritchett's fix is correct for my setup on an ASUS P5K

I have no idea what effect this has if you want to have an IDE dive and a SATA drive - but I don't so I'm happy.

I'm going to email Jmicron
March 24, 2008 11:19:17 PM

I can confirm this also happens on a P5K motherboard, so nothing to do with Wi-Fi.

Also it's not the hardware itself, it would seem to be the drivers. I can play movies or mp3s when booted into Linux on the exact same hardware without any problems at all. For now I'm stuck with using the JMicron EIDE/PATA interface as I only have a PATA HD (being fixed very soon with the arrival of a SATA HD this week).

The whole thing 'sounds' like a _very_ short buffer for audio, which I was hoping would be tunable, but I can't find anysuch.
May 28, 2008 7:39:26 AM

Hi. Seems like this problem can be triggered by a few different things. It sent me mad for a couple of weeks, changing drivers for everything, removing my Audigy2 ZS and using onboard sound, installing new codecs sound etc etc. Some of these things seemed to fix the problem but not permanently. To cut a very long story short, it turned out those things weren't fixing it at all. It was just that the problem goes away whenever my e-Sata drive is turned on, so now it is turned on whenever i listen to music or play a game. Seems to be a bit related to some of the solutions above - just thought I'd throw it into the mix in case it helps anyone else. BTW, I didn't bother to go back to the Audigy 2 ZS and given the track record of Creative with Vista support I think it'll be onboard sound all the way now.

Brett
June 5, 2008 8:36:20 PM

At last I found this forum, thanks. I have been having this problem since I bought my P5K MB. And I do have 1 SATA and 1 IDE HDD. XP on the SATA and my dowload library on the IDE. I've been suspicious about this board cause I never got UDMA on my IDE DVDburner, and every time I downloaded something from the net I got this stupid stuttering if I played music at the same time. Now at last after changing the Jmicron to standard MS driver I not only got rid of the stuttering, but also got UDMA4 on my DVD burner. Thanks again rwpritchett. One happy Swede here.
February 8, 2009 4:49:38 PM

Maybe I'm late to the party but none the less I think I can save someone pulling their hair out. Above solutions are good but I bet anyone in the predicament caused by stuttering sound on an ASUS board wants a simple one liner so here we go, I did it to cure the problem.

1-RE-INSTALL THE OS (clean install),
2-When installing the ASUS drivers DON'T INSTALL JMICRON

SOLVED

Go enjoy the music, I am.

Specs:
ASUS P5K
Intel E6230 Core 2 Duo
Corsair Dominator 2X1024 MB RAM
ATI Sapphire HD2600XT
Maxtor 40 gig IDE
WD 500 gig SATA
LG IDE DVD Drive
Generic 450W PSU
All nicely wrapped in a Thermaltake DH102 case
February 18, 2009 8:40:27 AM

rwpritchett said:
I think aquasapien is on the right track. Set your JMicron controller up as IDE instead of SCSI. That way you can ensure that DMA is being used. Sound stuttering is a common symptom of DMA not being enabled.

Go to device manager, right click on the JMicron SCSI devices, select update driver, select let me choose driver, manually install the standard Microsoft IDE driver for the controller.

Post back if this stops the stuttering.

hey , i have this same problem and is driving me insane. this seems to correct it for some guys , but i'm not too great on Pcs and i don't know where to find the standard Microsoft ide driver, could u explain where the driver will be in what folder , or does it need to be downloaded ? thanks.
March 2, 2009 8:03:08 AM

ok sorted , it fixed the problem for me , just thought i would let you know :) 
April 14, 2011 8:24:36 PM

I have the same question Jasev originally had where can I find the standard microsoft IDE driver.
i've been putting up with this for months and ended up using a different PC for my music but now I want to use the one I was having problems on
!