New Graphics Card, New Processor, Which PSU??

AC_V3GAS

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2007
OS Name: Microsoft Windows XP Professional
MotherBoard: Asus AV8 Deluxe Rev 1.xx
BIOS Version/Date: American Megatrends Inc. 1017.002, 14/11/2005
PSU: HEC 385AD-PT -> Total Output: 385W -> Intel Ver1.3 ready -> ATX 12v
Graphics: ATI Radeon X1950 GT AGP 256MB (Dual Screen)
Processor: AMD Athon 64 3500+ 2200MHz - Upgrading to AMD Athon 64 X2 4200+
Memory: 1.50 GB

I bought my new graphics card as above a couple of weeks ago and have since decided to upgrade my processor as it seems to be the weak link in my system. This is now on it's way, should be here Friday.

I ran my system in various states with an Energy Monitor in and my PSU never even registered above 185Watts so I'm not sure my 385W Power Supply is a problem. But, I am tempted to upgrade anyway as I realise the importance of a good PSU.

Now, which PSU should I go for?
Ideally I would like to keep the cost under £50 and keep the noise at a reasonable level. My current PSU is pretty good noise wise but after installing the x1950 GT my system has definitely got louder so a bit more sound coming from a new PSU shouldn't be a problem.

Any suggestions? or do you think I'm better sticking with the one I have?

I had a HEC 350W unit in my old Athlon XP system it was a vry good unit with 16 amps on the 12 volt rail. after 2 years use the cooling fan failed and I replaced the unit (could still run it with a desk fan blowing at it while I waited for the new one). When a later built a A64 3200+ gf6800 system for my son for gaming a replaced the broken fan in it and installed it in his system. It ran fine except for random shutdowns during heavy gaming, like mayby ones a week. the shut downs totally stopped after I replaced the power supply with a 500W unit with 26amps on the 12 V rail.
If I had to recommend a unit these days I would say for the value the Corsair 450 watt it has over 30 amps on the 12 V rail.

akhilles

Splendid
http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/image.html?image=MTE3MTMwMDc2M3A5SU5XZ3dBWHhfMV8zX2wuanBn

The package says 450W 30A on +12v combined. You can't go wrong with a 500W. A bigger psu will give you room for future video upgrades. Seasonic & Enermax are rather quiet. 50 quids may be a little low. Go with a Tier 1/2:

http://www.tomswiki.com/page/Tiered+PSU+Listings?t=anon

If money is tight, stick with it. My family pc with e2180 & DS3L uses about 100W at idle, according to the UPS, & up to 213W, according to a psu calculator. What's your max wattage usage under load?

AC_V3GAS

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2007
Well I played BF2 and Call of Duty 2 and could not get it above 185 Watts same as when I ran 3DMark03. I do only have a split molex connector on my X1950 GT but it seems to be quite happy with that. I was wondering if it would take more power if I gave it the 2 separate cable molex connectors?

akhilles

Splendid
I don't know about that. The video card will draw as much power as it needs & available.

Why fix it if ain't broken? Best use 1 power cable from psu to gpu. Use the others for everything else.