After changing CMOS battery, computer won't start..

Lathander

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2003
I just changed my cmos battery because it was running out, however, now the computer won't start. No signal on the monitor and no "beep" sounds, just a blank screen. what should I do?

Lathander

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2003

well, it worked perfectly yesterday. I just changed the battery that's all. I didn't touch anything else. Anyway I tried re-seating all of the cards, no change.. :(

sailer

Splendid
Check every wire connection on the motherboard. I had something similar happen years ago. Turned out I had accidently brushed a power lead and pulled it loose. It doesn't take much and then computer just sits there, dead.

Lathander

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2003

yea, it's been 4.5 years.
the thing is I would just go and buy the same motherboard, if they still had it. but unfortunately they don't, actually, there's no motherboard same as this one. it's an asus p4p800. it has 4 ddr ram slots, all occupied in my case. the closest i could find had 2 slots only, which is not enough for me.

rdb

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2007
Do you mean the power suppy does not start and no fans or lights come on? If so check the power cable and make sure the switch on the PS is on. If the power is on , but no monitor, check the Vid card , unplug and reinstall.

Lathander

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2003

fans are working, power is ok, just no monitor and no beep sound. i tried reinstalling the vid card btw, no good.

rdb

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2007
If you have a old vid card, try that to see if that fixes it, If so Then you have eliminated bad cables or trouble with the monitor. If it still doesnt work , I would try old monitor so you can eliminate that. Vid card is about all that's left.