Sign in with
Your question

gigabyte ga-965p-ds3 bios woes.

Last response: in Motherboards
November 20, 2007 2:19:23 AM

I'm about to lose my mind here, so i decided to upgrade my ram because Vista isn't running as well as i think it should i have CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 675 (PC2 5400) ram installed and it runs fine, so i get G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) hoping to boast my performance and ive ran into nothing but problems. My pc wont even boot up with this new ram installed.

Ive looked around the net and i heard bios updates should fix the problem(i have never updated the bios since i built this rig 1 year ago). Here comes the problem when i try to run the latest bios update here: http://www.gigabyte.us/Support/Motherboard/BIOS_Downloa...

Im getting an error saying that im using the wrong version of the update, im running the 64 bit version of vista and im guessing that the update only works with the 32 bit version. Am i missing something because theres not an option to dl different versions on the web page.

Any advice or input will be greatly appreciated im going nuts here thanks in advance.

More about : gigabyte 965p ds3 bios woes

November 20, 2007 3:01:38 AM

Don't they have a update utility that you can use in DOS mode? That will work much better in my opinion.
November 20, 2007 3:17:05 AM

^ I have no idea ive never attempted to update a bios until today, i dont understand why it's saying im running the wrong version of windows for the program. If thats the case were can i get the 64 bit version of the program.
Related resources
November 20, 2007 3:34:41 AM

2 possible causes i can think of. I would never mix brands of ram and especially ram with different speeds and timings.
Also you might find the new ram requires a higher voltage than the original installed ram. It might need more than 1.8v to boot up. Remove the new ram and boot into bios and up the volts and then install new ram and reboot. Good luck
November 20, 2007 3:46:43 AM

I second the "don't mix RAM speeds/timings" poster. Take the Corsair RAM out, its the slower RAM anyway - that should give you a starting point. You might have to increase the voltage to 2.0 or 2.1v - check the specs on the RAM, you can do that from inside BIOS

I have the same board, the latest BIOS version is F12. If your board is something different (it says on the POST screen), download it from Gigabyte's website, put it on a flash drive. On the POST screen, there is a prompt for QFlash - this is the Gigabyte BIOS flash utility. It will let you update the BIOS using what you put on the flash drive. If your BIOS version is already F12, then don't try to fiddle with it - if you've never done it before, you can cause more harm than good.
!