CPU fan decision for Q6600/E6600

Nine Ball

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2008
I am going to doing my first system build for myself *stepping away from the pre built* and iam either going to get the E/Q6600. But since i dont plan on doing any form of OC there really wont be too much need for a water cooling system just yet. So my question is which fan do you think would be best for thes processors. the ones ive been eyeballin is the ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm, ZALMAN 9500A 92mm 2 Ball CPU Cooler, and the VIGOR GAMING CLT-M2I 92mm Thermal Electric CPU Cooler *aka Monsoon*.

if there is anyone out there that has used these fans, or has another one to recommend it would be great. Also i dont care about noise.

Thanks

nforce256

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2007
Actually, as far as picking our your CPU, it depends more on what you will be using the system for. If its video editing, go with the C2Q (Q6600). If it is for gaming, go with the C2D. Do not get the E6600. It's old. Pick up one of the new Wolfdales. It's kickass and overclocks amazingly. I got it up from 3GHz to 3.6GHz with the stock cooler without adjusting any voltage. Runs stable! I plan on getting the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro as I've heard lots of good things about it.

Evilonigiri

Splendid
Jun 8, 2007

No, he should get the Freezer Pro 7 regardless of OCing or not. It prolongs the life of the cpu by a lot, and if he decides to OC, he can.

Nine Ball

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2008
Thanks a bunch for the input, since the pc will be used for gameing, ive heard that the e6600 does slightly better even when both are oc'ed overclocked. as far as my cooler goes i guess i will being going with the freezer pro ( the one i was leaning towards getting). but i do have some questions about the Zerotherm Nirvana. is it any good?

Mondoman

Splendid

Seems unlikely, as Intel already guarantees the CPU for 3 years, and the Intel cooler does a good job of cooling the CPU. Do you have any evidence detailing the longer life?
Also, most aftermarket CPU coolers (including the Freezer 7 Pro) lack the secondary cooling function (blowing air over northbridge, PWM, and other adjacent areas) of the Intel "downdraft-style" cooler. Some MBs are more sensitive to the lack of this cooling than others, so you may have to install additional fans/cooling if you go with an aftermarket cooler.
Seems like a stock Intel cooler is the best choice for the OP.

Nine Ball

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2008
I dont think i'll need to worry to much about the north bridge and what not, considering iam getting the evga 780i mobo, it seems to have some decent north and south bridge cooling. and depending on the case i get i might go to water cooling. but i probably will replace the stock cooler. never trusted them even when i was building for other clients

Evilonigiri

Splendid
Jun 8, 2007

What I meant before was, if you had to decide between a Q6600 and a E6600, get the Q6600. The E6600 is outdated, and Intel isn't even producing them anymore. Get the E8400 instead, it does a lot better in gaming.

The Zerotherm Nirvana has been shown that it's the best air cooling without lapping the heatsink. Of course if you want to take the time to lap the Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme (TRUE) and outfit it with a powerful fan, it's still the best. It's just that many of them has a concaved base.

EDIT: I forgot to add that the Zerotherm Nirvana, when set on high speed fan, is noisy.

Evilonigiri

Splendid
Jun 8, 2007

I'm sure it's common knowledge that heat, as well as high voltages, slowly kills not only the cpu, but every electrical component? Getting a better cooler will prolong the life, regardless if he's going to use it for only 3years or not.

As for the Northbridge cooling, simply turn the the Arctic Cooling so that it's exhaust faces the northbridge.

Mondoman

Splendid

Since he's not OCing, perhaps it will prolong the CPU's life from 100 years to 110 years, but I can't see that that's much of a practical advantage. ;)

If only it were so easy! Unfortunately, the Freezer 7 Pro has two problems in that respect:
1) the air is blown in only one direction, so you would have to choose either north bridge OR PWM, but not both.
2) even in that one direction, the fan is elevated, so blows the air parallel to the surface of the board *above the level of most components*. The tiny bends on a few of the lower fins do nothing in practice to solve this problem, as I found out to my chagrin on my NI8-SLI board -- I had to add extra fans to cool the PWM area and the radiator there of the northbridge heatpipe.

So, in the OP's specific case, spending extra money on a non-downdraft-style aftermarket cooler gets him: (a) practically meaningless extension of CPU life and (b) likely cooling problems w/northbridge and/or PWM area.

Evilonigiri

Splendid
Jun 8, 2007

Well my argument is getting the Arctic Cooler will give him a quieter and cooler system. As for the cooling problems with the NB area, it can be easily solved with adequate air flow like a side panel fan.

Also, in order for Intel's stock cooler to be effective in cooling the PWM and NB area, the fan will have to be running to it's fullest, which equates to more noise.

In my opinion, the advantages out weighs the disadvantages, since noise level and cpu coolness are my top priority.

Mondoman

Splendid

The fan does blow air down and out even at its slowest speed -- are there some tests showing ineffective cooling at anything below max speed?

PS - I totally agree that the specific choices often depend on your specific priorities; I certainly tend toward the cheaper side, and "free" is pretty cheap! :D

Evilonigiri

Splendid
Jun 8, 2007

It's just a logical guess that the cooling won't be as efficient when under max speed.

To OP: If you have the money, I'd say go for it. Everyone is different so make whatever decision you feel is best.