Conned by Crysis

Pigbristle

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2006
Anybody here feel like they have been conned a little bit in believing Crysis would run best on quad core?

It seems to me that a lot of people were led to believe that Crysis was going to be more CPU intensive then most other games. but looking around some reviews, this doesn't seem to be true, they are getting better results on duals rather then quads.

Gotta say, I'd be a bit pi55ed, if I had just ran out & got myself a quad for Crysis.

Makes you wonder if this was all planed , to make people rush out and buy up all the old quads, therefore making way for the new up & coming 45nm quads.

gpippas

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
How can you be conned by a game thats not been released yet.

Why didnt you wait and try it on your original system then decide if a quad is necessary.

Oh and itotallybe lieveyou is right. The demo is not quad core optimised. I assume the final retail version will be. If it isn't then its your fault not a conspiracy.

Ilander

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2007
Demo runs fine on my system...on medium settings at 1280x1024, under Dx9.

Absolutely no frame hitches.

I can play at high settings with a little chopping, at 1280x1024.

I don't really think Crysis was the benchmark to build your computer for.

Any Hellgate: London players?

bruce555

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2006
on my G15 I watch my CPU usage while playing this game and I get usually 40-45% usage and it rarely hits 50%. I don't understand what Crytek was saying at all. I've seen 100% usage lots of times with other games (usually Unreal 3 engine).

All this aside, it's still the best game I've ever played.

Pigbristle

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2006

I don't think my xp2000 cpu & 5 year old onboard graphics will do it justice, do you? ;o)

The crysis demo is not multi core optimized. nor is it 64 bit optimized or sli optimized.

Surly your not telling me your not even a little bit disappointed?

mrmjs

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006

Now how can you say that from a demo that lets you play one level?

G

Demo is supposed to use dual core but not quad. Right now in vista 64 at 1900x1200 in action im sitting at a pretty solid 25fps. Its very playable and i could lower settings but it looks so pretty =( Plus its not even 64 bit yet. dont get all upset about it until its out...then complain about it like everyone is for hellgate! =p

(btw hellgate doesnt scale with more than 1 processor. 28-35fps always, doesnt matter if its one core or four cores)

gpippas

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
don't think my xp2000 cpu & 5 year old onboard graphics will do it justice, do you?

If thats what you upgraded from then why are you moaning? You have a better system than not only you average gamer but 95% of the PC owning population.

Upgrading for a single game is pointless. You should upgrade when your hardware has seen out its useful life cycle. As it appears you have done anyway.

Crysis is just one game. And from the look of it not even that good. If Crysis didn't bring everyones systems to their knees another game will have come along that does. Its just the way technology works.

On the multicore note I will be very surprised if the retail version of the game is not optimised for multiple cores. Crytec claims the game will scale over the next 2 years. Well it won't scale at all if it is not multicore optimised. Seeing as in 2 years quad cores will be the norm and the enthusiasts will have octo cores.

G

its a q6600 at 3.2 with a 8800gtx stock speeds. I just changed a few settings on my vid card no AA and low post processing (motion blur doesnt make sense to me). I can post my exact settings when i get home tonight, but theres also some good threads on crysis boards with good ways to tweak. All i can say, is the MOD maps are freaking amazing, helicopter = awesome.

bydesign

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006
Crysis on Vista 64 does use 64bit code. On my Quad is uses about 25% CPU but most of the work is on one core with other 3 at around 5-10%. Let down no way

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
Crysis run pretty well at all medium setting, remember Cyrtec has design the new game for future hardware. Don't expect being able to set everything to high setting. Optimise the Crysisfor your hardware and you'll have a great gaming exprience.

G

but you cant run crysis64 so T_T

Pigbristle

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2006

Are you joking me? I'd say let down big style!

Thats barely above 1/4 of the total available cpu power! if this game was optimized to use c2d c2q processors, you'd see a good 80% on all cores i reckon. people with machines like yours should be able to play crysis at your resolution, with everything maxed with at least 40fps...

Well suppose we can just wait for the final game and drivers to come out & see what happens?

chookman

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
How about we wait until the game is actually released... and maybe then released for a while. AMD/NVIDIA will have to make driver updates to fix bugs and streamline the process to make it faster. Crytek will make some updates including im sure 64bit and quad core enhancements... and even then when the game is out no-one can tell me they wont have more updates down the line.

BTW i think if the ONLY reason you bought quad core was for crysis than you maybe a little silly to start with, everyone knows not many things are designed for quads yet... but the ones that are (mainly encoding and server tasks) kill the dual cores.

Its that whole early adoption thing that gets people, you buy the latest and greatest and wonder why it doesnt quite work how you want it too... its because it not mature the drivers, coding everything in the process has to be refined to utilise the enhancement.

G

they've already said there is going to be a 15% increase in performance per core in x64. theres no reason to be upset about a demo performance.