Sign in with
Your question

Newbie, My New HTPC, Suggestions and Comments Please

Last response: in Systems
October 27, 2007 10:39:26 PM

Hello,
i have been asked to make a low spec HTPC for someone. They wish to use it to record 1 or more TV programs (Not a huge amount) and View TV at the same time. Also Music Streaming from the Server is important for parties. They were on a budget of around £300 to £360 and asked that the box blended in like an AV or DVD player.

Hauppage WINTV HVR 1100 Digital + Analogue with Remote Hybrid
Western Digital WD1600JS Caviar 160GB 8Mb Cache 7200Rpm
Antec NSK2480 MATX Desktop Case Black & Silver - With 380W EarthWatts PSU
MSI K9VGM-V K8M890 Socket AM2 onboard VGA 8 channel audio mATX
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ (2.3 GHz) Socket AM2 Energy Efficient L2 1MB (2x512KB) Cache
OCZ (OCZ2G8001GK) 1GB (2x512) DDR2-800 PC2-6400 CL 5-5-5-12 Gold XTC Dual Channel
LG GSA-H55NBAL 20x DVD?RW/DL/RAM IDE Black Bare Drive - OEM
Sapphire HD 2400 Pro 256MB VGA DVI TVO PCI-E Graphics Card
D-Link AirPlus G DWL-G510 Wireless PCI Adapter
Hauppauge WinTV Nova-TD Diversity USB Stick with Dual DVB-T Tuner
Vista Media Centre (Home Premium)

I was hoping for comments if there are any known issues with the setup, and if it is up to the job.

Any comments are much Appreciated.

Regards, and thanks in advance

Liirge!!
October 27, 2007 11:04:28 PM

Never built one of these myself, but I will try to lend some advice.

I just don't know about that PSU. 380W could very well be enough, but I would get a larger one..and maybe from a better brand. Not too many people here like the Earthwatts. Ideally, get one Tier 3 or up. http://www.tomswiki.com/page/Tiered+PSU+Listings?t=anon

Micro board and case, good.

What is the plan going to be for the recorded movies? Delete them after they watch them, burn them to dvd(I see the dvd burner)? If they plan on keeping them on the HDD, you might need to consider a larger one.

I would consider atleast 2GB ram for vista.

Otherwise, looks pretty good.
-Adam
October 27, 2007 11:09:35 PM

Cheers for that.
yer just delete or burn after watch!
So The Earthwatts have developed a tainted reputation, hmmm its a critical component specially as they live in an old house with dirty electricity.
I'm gonna give the 1 gig a Shot, and see if it desperately needs updating at a later stage, my desktop is running Vista on a Gig, and its reasonable performance, if i change the startup to the bare minimum (No Side bar etc no aero) and just the media center application then im hoping ill get away with it!!!
October 27, 2007 11:38:15 PM

Use a 690G board, they're just about perfect for HTPC. For example Asus M2A-VM HDMI. HDMI and HDCP capabilities without buying an additional graphics card.

Use a BE-2400, low-power, again just about perfect for HTPC.

Use a Seasonic, even the 330W has more than enough juice for that app. Very low-noise.
!