USB devices not detectable.

Moteb

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2007
Hello,

I have a problem with my USB and hope you can find me a solution.

When I insert any device in my USB port (iPod, let's say) the power goes fine and the iPod starts charging, but the PC could not detect that I got something in.

I read somewhere that it could be 'USB suspend,' maybe because I didn't use the USB ports long time ago. If so, or not, can it works back again?

I'm using LG LS50 laptop with Windows XP (SP2) Home Edition.

Regards,

Moteb.

altazi

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2007
When you connect a USB device, do you notice a brief bit of HDD activity? (As would occur when the USB subsystem enumerates the vendor ID and product ID of the connected hardware, and checks the registry for matching entries in order to load the correct drivers)

Under "Device Manager", do you see anything with the yellow question mark icon? Likewise, when you connect a USB device, does it show up in Device Manager? Does it have a yellow question mark?

Do no USB devices work at all? Even a flash drive?

Regards,

Altazi

xunicronx

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2007
Try going to the iPod website and see if there are any drivers you can download and maybe see if others have this issue. If the issue is new, device drivers may not be available yet. The good thing is that the iPod is charging. May also be software issues with Windows XP. The iPod may not be under the Windows Hardware Compatibility List just yet. I understand that there are many versions of the iPod. If you have a newer iPod with more or different features, Windows may have some trouble communicating fully with the iPod.

Moteb

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2007
Altazi

The status of system before inserting the device and after that remains the same, nothing show up! No new devices in Device Manager, no question marks, as if nothing in.

:(

Moteb

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2007
[edited]

Altazi

The status of system before inserting the device and after that remains the same, nothing show up! No new devices in Device Manager, no question marks, as if nothing in.

The same problem, unfortunately, applies to all devices, including mouse, card reader, and even flash drives.

:(

Moteb

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2007
xunicronx

This problem with iPod applies to all other devices like mouse. Well, my iPod is the touch, which is newly introduced, and my OS is Windows XP. I don't think it's a problem because I'm not using Win95 for example :), although, I'll check about that.

Thank you.

night_wolf_in

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2007

happened to me once, the pc will detect my ipod for 5 seconds, then boom it dissappears. well i cant remember how i fixed it. but i have practically played with every sittings about USB devices in my pc.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
I'm guessing the ipod must need power off the port. If the port doesn't supply enough voltage, it will not work correctly. So, you might want to use a powered USB hub (has it own power adaptor), or if your bios has settings for USB power, check to see if it set to low, which I've seen settings for voltage of low-med-high.

Also usually you need to install the drivers for it 1st before plugging it in, while in windows.