Weird problem please help

lllco2lll

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2007
I just noticed that Newer games don't work for my system. Which is Oddly strange

At first when certain games didn't work I didn't mind, but as more and more seem to appear I thought it was strange.

When I would launch a game, it wouldn't load it would just say "so and so.exe has encountered a problem...."

older games that were purely dx9 I have no problems, but i noticed it first happening with Lost Planet Demo, then the Tabula Rasa Beta, and I thought to myself "hmm... these games are new and seem to run on dx10 also"

So when I got The Witcher and the same problem occured, I had to find something to really confirm it. So I downloaded Bioshock demo, and ding same problem.

I have no idea why I'm unable to run these new games, my specs are optimal:
Amd Athlon 64 X2 6000+
2gig ddr2 800 ram
8800 GTX with latest drivers

I tried to do everything to fix the problem, but it doesn't seem like anyone else has this problem, so when all else failed I ended up rebooting completely.

Still the problem persist.

I'm wondering why these newer games don't work what so ever, but the older ones do "bf2142, city of villains, guildwars, cs, rf online etc..."

Does anyone know what might be the problem? Thanks anyone greatly if they can help

aadamszc

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2007
Hmm...I can't really think of anything besides the fact that you may be trying to run DX10 in windows xp...which, frankly -- won't work.

lllco2lll

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2007
hmmm is there a way to check that its trying to run as dx10? is there a way to make sure that it won't run as dx10, because i thought with winxp it would automatically run as dx9

aadamszc

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2007
To be honest with you, I can't think of anyway off the top of my head. I mean, on the off chance you have a copy of vista just lying around, you could install it on a partition.

If, when you run it with vista and the problem persists, then it must be the hardware.

If not, then problem solved.