Sign in with
Your question

BIOS Changes for new CPU? Automatic??

Last response: in CPUs
November 2, 2007 4:16:39 PM

My new CPU has arrived and just want to check before I install it.
A8V Deluxe motherboard (939) AMD Athlon 64 3500+ upgrading to the AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+

1) My BIOS is up-to-date but do I need the latest CPU Driver before I install the processor or can I do it once its installed?
1.1) Do I need to install anything before I put the chip in?
2) Will the CPU BIOS settings change automatically when I turn on after installing the chip (voltages, multipliers etc)?
3) When do I install the X2 Hot fix if i need it?
4) Will my current stock heatsink be fine for the new CPU?

Has anyone else done this upgrade or similar?

Thanks for any help you can offer. Hopefully I can get it up and running by tomorrow night.

More about : bios cpu automatic

November 2, 2007 4:32:32 PM

This might get abit complicated. If memory serves, your going from a single core to a dual core?

It might be wise to backup your stuff, and do a fresh install. I've read in the past that there is a way to fix the HAL, but it seems a fresh install seems to have less headaches.

Might want to look for threads that talk about the patch you need from MS as well as from AMD. It's been quite awhile since I read about those.
November 2, 2007 4:33:48 PM

I did something like this, changed my 3200+ 939 for a 4800+ X2

The advice I was given is it's just...

.backup ect
.power down and unplug PC
.earth your self
.swap CPUs round
.power up

Mine worked fine. Mobo just picked up the X2 upgrade on 1st post, but I'd listen to Grimmy.

As for your HS, I used my stock one for a bit while I got some better compound and then changed for a new one. System was fine with stock HS but I would add, the temp drop with the aftermarket was well worth the extra few quid.
Related resources
November 2, 2007 4:41:53 PM

Well.. hopefully things will go smoothly if thats the case.

Bring up your task manager, and click the performance tab to see if the history is drawing 2 graphs for 2 cores. It may be setup as a single graphs for both cores.

But if it doesn't show 2 cores there, then its a HAL problem. I recall doing something in the device manager, on computer, uninstalling the ACPI, and redecting to install ACPI multi processor. But I think my memory starting to fade on that stuff. :lol: 

Edit:

did a quick google:

Switching to AMD Dual Core CPU without re-installing Windows

Can't guarantee it will work right. :oops: 
November 3, 2007 7:07:25 AM

I think mine reports as being a 'ACPI Uniprocessor PC' so I should be ok. Shouldn't I?
November 3, 2007 7:29:21 AM

As long as ACPI management is enabled in the bios, I believe you should be okay. That was one of my brain farts, to where I couldn't remember. XP installs the wrong HAL when ACPI is disabled, so when you do switch CPU's then you have the problem I was remembering.

So ya seeing ACPI Uniprocessor should be correct for your 3500+. When you install the other, it should see, I believe new hardware, and should change to ACPI Multiporessor PC.... hopefully.
November 3, 2007 7:45:37 AM

Reset your bios to default,then install the new cpu.You may or may not have to install a driver for your cpu.The bios should identify the cpu correctly,but you may need to install cpu drivers in windows so that programs and windows itself operates correctly.Goodluck.
P.S.This does depend on what version of windows you have.Now I've heard that a simple registry hack will work on XP HOME EDITION,but if not then a full re-install of home is required to get the OS to operate with a dual core correctly.

Dahak

M2N32-SLI DELUXE WE
X2 5600+ STOCK (2.8GHZ)
2X1GIG DDR2 800 IN DUAL CHANNEL
TOUGHPOWER 850WATT PSU
EVGA 7950 GX2 550/1400
SMILIDON RAIDMAX GAMING CASE
ACER 22IN WS LCD 1680X1050
250GIG HD/320GIG HD
G5 GAMING MOUSE
WIN XP MCE SP2
!