Sign in with
Your question

Changing hard drives how ???

Last response: in Storage
June 10, 2008 11:48:59 AM

Hi,

i'm purchasing a new PC in the next week and i need to find out how to transfare all the data from my old PCs hard drive to my new PCs hard drive. My current PC has two separate hard drives each of 120Gigs = 240Gigs, my new PCs hard drive will also have two separate hard drives this time of 250Gigs x 2 = 500Gigs. i'm assuming i would just burn all the HDD data to disc and then rip that data to the new hard drive, i could be wrong???

This is new for me as this is my first time in the process, could anyone comment on how this is done???

Thanks
Musicmad

More about : changing hard drives

a b G Storage
June 10, 2008 12:03:20 PM

Download a trial of Acronis True Image and clone the drives.
Hook up the new drive and clone it with True Image. Then shutdown, remove the old hard drive and boot up with the new hard drive in place.
a c 357 G Storage
June 10, 2008 2:16:27 PM

Cloning with Acronis may not be right in this case. Firstly, it assumes that OP is confortable with installing HDD's from his old machine in the new machine temporarily for the cloning process. Is that right, musicmad, can you do this OK?

Then we have to face it - he / she does NOT want to clone completely. This is a new machine, presumably with its new OS already installed. OP does not want to clone everything from the old mahine's drives to the new one - that would wipe out the new OS with all its drivers, etc. What is really desired is to copy "all the files".

HOWEVER, "all the files" is not true. Musicmad, exactly what is it you want to copy over? Just the music files themselves (mp3's, etc.)? Are there software applications you want to move to the new machine, too? What about your collection of old e-mails, and address lists? Anything else?

Burning DVD's would take a lot of disks (use -RW's, of course) and a lot of time. It certainly will be much simpler and faster if you can temporarily install old HDD's in the new machine for copying, etc.
Related resources
June 10, 2008 2:49:43 PM

If the op, everything to run the same without reinstalling os, just with new hardware. You can use acronis true image echo universal restore.
June 11, 2008 11:14:25 PM

Paperdoc said:
Cloning with Acronis may not be right in this case. Firstly, it assumes that OP is confortable with installing HDD's from his old machine in the new machine temporarily for the cloning process. Is that right, musicmad, can you do this OK?

Then we have to face it - he / she does NOT want to clone completely. This is a new machine, presumably with its new OS already installed. OP does not want to clone everything from the old mahine's drives to the new one - that would wipe out the new OS with all its drivers, etc. What is really desired is to copy "all the files".

HOWEVER, "all the files" is not true. Musicmad, exactly what is it you want to copy over? Just the music files themselves (mp3's, etc.)? Are there software applications you want to move to the new machine, too? What about your collection of old e-mails, and address lists? Anything else?

Burning DVD's would take a lot of disks (use -RW's, of course) and a lot of time. It certainly will be much simpler and faster if you can temporarily install old HDD's in the new machine for copying, etc.

Hi,

Yes basically its all my sub folders inside the my documents folder that contain all the data that i wish to transfer, 18.9Gb only! How do i go about software programs, is it possible to transfer these as data, or do thay need to be newly installed from disc???

I'm assuming from my 18.9Gb that it would be better to burn the data to DVD, how is this done???

June 12, 2008 5:36:07 PM

Thanks guys for all your feedback..

Cheers
Musicmad
!