Sign in with
Your question

Here it is: the new 112sp 8800GTS 640

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 8, 2007 2:38:55 PM

RTFA:G80…..NOT G92

"Since our first teaser post was put live, the forums have been afire with speculation that this is the new G92-based 8800GTS and it will be on sale “in a few weeks time”. Nothing could be further from the truth since this is a G80-based card with a few unlocked Stream Processors and it is already being sold by various online retailers. The 112 SPs do put it neck and neck with the 8800GT in this department but it is still the “older” G80-A2 GPU core powering this card."
November 8, 2007 2:39:41 PM

Man, it is so close depending on the benchmark it makes it hard to really determine which card is truly better overall imo. I have a 20" widescreen lcd with a 1680x1050 res so I suppose I would go with the GTS over the GT, but man those numbers are close. lol...ah the predicaments!

Best,

3Ball
Related resources
November 8, 2007 2:45:36 PM

So does this mean that the up-and-coming G92 GTS was a myth? Or is this simply a stop-gap for the future real 'refresh'?
November 8, 2007 2:48:54 PM

Yeah, this is G80 and not G92. While it does give slightly better performance at the higher resolutions vs the GT, the buyer must decide if the price difference percentage is worth the perfomance difference percentage. I'd prolly pass on this card and wait to see what happens with the mid-November cards, since those GTS are likely to out perform this one.
November 8, 2007 3:03:24 PM

3Ball said:
Man, it is so close depending on the benchmark it makes it hard to really determine which card is truly better overall imo. I have a 20" widescreen lcd with a 1680x1050 res so I suppose I would go with the GTS over the GT, but man those numbers are close. lol...ah the predicaments!

Best,

3Ball

Looks like our recommendations will be about the same except we replace the GTS 320 with the GT since the GTS 640 still does better at the higher resolutions. I don't think a whole hell of a lot has changed, just the names of the cards. lol.
November 8, 2007 3:33:45 PM

lostandwandering said:
Looks like our recommendations will be about the same except we replace the GTS 320 with the GT since the GTS 640 still does better at the higher resolutions. I don't think a whole hell of a lot has changed, just the names of the cards. lol.

Thats a pretty good way to evaluate the situation. Though I never did like the 320mb 8800gts...since I play quake 4 and on Ultra quality you would need more than 320mb of vram on almost all res lol. So the 8800GT will be much easier for me to recommend people looking in that price range.

Best,

3Ball
November 8, 2007 4:48:48 PM

Strange how in all the previous benchies the GT was "dead close" (like a bit less than 10% behind) to the GTX - where as in this one the GT seems to have lost a lot of it's shine - to the point of leaving a constant (20 - 30% from the GTX) margin for the new GTS. I want to see another set of benchies with GTX GT and new GTS.. (ideally an OCed GTS this time..)
Rubber Rod
!