Solved

JScript runtime error 800a01a8; is NT4.0 fix also for XP?

When I tried to run McAfee Virtual Technician in AT&T Internet Security Suite, I got a page that was blank except for
Microsoft JScript runtime error 800a01a8
Object required
/mvt/DownloadIndex.asp, line 60.

Microsoft Support Article Q296818 gives the procedure for registering an updated JSCRIPT.DLL, v.4.0.0.2920 (.2405
or higher required). A search revealed thirteen versions of this file in twenty locations, and the earliest is 5.7.0.
5730; the one I would unregister as per their procedure, in Regsvr32, is 5.8.6001.22960. It doesn't seem to
make sense to install a Four-something in place of a Five....

Toward the end of M$' article, they mention that this applies to NT4.0; does it even apply to XP, and should I be
getting that error at all?

The Virtual Technician forces Firefox to open, if that's relevant; I'm not familiar with FF, but it was left on the comput-
er by the previous owner....I just use IE8 as default browser; no preference, and no complaints.
Any and all insight is welcome; Thanks.

GSGregg
4 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about jscript runtime error 800a01a8
  1. Best answer
    wish someone would answer this as i am having the very same problem
  2. To Janie_13:

Never got around to posting, "Looks like we're on our own...."; can't figure out if the Community was stumped (not likely) or just having a good laugh. You may already have remedied the JScript error problem; it sure took me long enough.

Went to mvt.mcafee.com and downloaded the Virtual Technician Installer which then ran, or maybe contained, the diagnostic tool (5.7MB). It runs from Start > Programs > McAfee > McAfee Virtual Technician; turns out that right-clicking the Security Center M icon only opened a link....to who-knows-what, as that error warning was all it gave. The actual tool was not in the Security Center 'package', therefore not in the Start Menu (right-clicking still brings up the error, though, even though the tool is installed and works).

I explored all of the downloaded files, and can find no evidence of the JScript.dll version that is supposed to be so important that the later versions I have can't do the job.

Hope this anecdote helps, rather than hinders.

GSG
  3. Best answer selected by GSGregg.
  4. Hello all, ttom is absolutely correct regarding the McAfee issue.

There is a Malware called Rouge.Multiple attacking Windows and McAfee. I've dealt with some 20 comps or better since April 17th and have managed to save 16. The 4 were beyond saving. The malware deletes and corrupts the Windows and McAfee installations everytime the computer is shut off eventually rendering the system useless.
    I hate to say this but, I am impressed by this malware. It will not allow acess to the USB ports or DVD/CD and causes issues trying to run in Safe mode.

The steps I've been taking, because most systems are too damaged, are: repair the Windows installation, ensure the Windows OS is fully up to date, have a copy of Malwarebytes (malwarebytes.org) and install then run the scan, download and run MCRP2.exe from the McAfee website (solution 2) https://us.mcafee.com/root/productupdate.asp?=35172 This will remove all traces of McAfee, Run, reboot, then re-install McAfee.

I hope this resolves your problem.

PS do not forget to update the Adobe Macromedia and shockwave addons and Java prior to the reinstall
Ask a new question

Read More

Runtime Windows XP