Hm. It appears I need a new motherboard.

Plyro109

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2007
Well, my old motherboard died. My fault. (Tried changing out the backplate in near-dark while under the infulence of high levels of caffiene. Glue under the backplate didn't raise a few red flags in the brain for some reason. Didn't go over well. :( )

Anyway, here's the problem I pose to you all.

I cannot just rebuild my computer with new tech. (I have a $100 budget. You find me a dual-core processor, 2GB of RAM, and a good motherboard for that price and kudos to you).

Instead, I'd rather just replace the motherboard. I've been looking around, but I don't know what's any good for overclocking that's still available.

I have a socket 939 X2 4200+
2 GB of Kingston DDR400 HyperX RAM (2x 1GB sticks)
An x1900xt (PCIe)
A Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS
2 IDE-based HDDs and
1 IDE-Based DVD+/-RW

Oh, I might as well throw in the cooler. The Vantec Monsoon II. Won it at the LAN. Decided to try and implant it onto the motherboard then and there! But it's still good. Just needs room on the Motherboard.

I have a couple ideas, one is to just replace my motherboard with the exact same model. (MSI Neo4-F), and that'll set me back about $85. I'll be more careful with the backplate next time....

I've also been looking around a few of my favorite online sites, and have found...

Foxconn NF4UK8AA-8EKRS
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813186037

and

Foxconn NF4SKAA-8EKRS
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3289215&CatId=1569

Past that, most other things are probobly too small for everything I intend to shove in there, or are running the nForce2 or a Via Chipset. :/

Crossfire/SLI not necessary, so anything'll work as long as it's got a PCIx16 slot.

Any help/opinions on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

The foxconn nforce4 will work fine. Newegg also has an open box ecs kn1 lite for around $42 shipped with no accessories. Etech4sale has an asus AN8-V nforce4 board for $93 if you prefer asus.

tlmck

Distinguished
No experience with Foxconn, but based on the choices at Newegg and other sites, it seems to be the best bet. The Via chipsets on the ASUS boards are fine for stock, but are not generally good overclockers.

Plyro109

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2007
Hm. Okay, well, thanks, guys. I'll make sure to keep my eyes open when I head to Fry's this weekend, too. I won't buy until then, just to check on prices.

utaka95

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2006
I've got a Foxconn 6150-939 board, and it's a little slow on boot up but otherwise it's very reliable. Foxconn was Apple's biggest iPod manufacturer/supplier, so if Steve Jobs trusts them.....

Good choice to avoid VIA; slow-moving pieces of pooh...

nForce4 chipsets tend to run a little warm. While you're buying and modding, you might want to pick up a better and/or silent chipset cooler.