rthuey

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2008
Is this ideal for this software?

Looking at purchasing 5
Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST3500320NS 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

and 1
ICY DOCK MB123IK-1B SAS & SATA 3.5" Aluminum Internal Removable HDD Rack

3 will be run in a Raid 5 configuration. The fourth and fifth would provide data backup using software, at any one time only one of these two hard drives would be on location in the machine.

It is my understanding the Icy Dock would allow me to swap out the drives without restarting the machine.

I had planned on using a
ASUS P5E WS Professional LGA 775 Intel X38 ATX Intel Motherboard

which says it can handle Raid 5. Is this the software version that i am seeing you guys warn of?

If two additional partitions on the raid were created for music and pictures, how does that affect performance say while playing iTunes and working in Photoshop?

Any thing else you could point out is appreciated.

Streaming 192kb/s off the same drive as your work drive wont affect performance in any negligable way.

What will affect performance is having the scratch data on the same drive as your workspace. If you need the extra performance, install another hard drive just for scratch information that adobe uses.

rthuey

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2008
and partitioning the raid is not going to have the same effect as another drive for the scratch disk?

am i wrong in thinking there will be a performance gain with a 5 config?