SC4 won't play with SP2

Archived from groups: alt.games.simcity (More info?)

Since I had some computer problems and reinstalled Windows
XP, and then SP1 and then SP2, when I click on the icon for
SC4RushHour I get:

the splash screen for a couple of seconds.

then it disappears.

My normal desktop just sits there. The game doesn't
continue to load and run.

Any ideas how to fix this?

Alan

The only reason some people get lost in thought
is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Paul Fix

=================================

Archived from groups: alt.games.simcity (More info?)

Since I posted that, I've uninstalled and reinstalled SC3
and SC4.

I couldn't delete the SC4 exe file -- it wouldn't let me, so
I did the new installations in a different directory.

I can play SC3, OK, but SC4 won't run, and if I try to
install the SC4 Rush Hour Expansion Pack, it says it can't
fine a legit copy of SC4.

It's totally legit, so I don't know what's happening!

Any ideas?

Alan

The only reason some people get lost in thought
is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Paul Fix

=================================

Archived from groups: alt.games.simcity (More info?)

When SP2 was released we were warned that Sim City 4 wouldn't work with it.
There is a workaround - I think there's a list of programmes that have
problems with SP2 and how to fix them on the Microsoft site. There are
quite a few common ones on the list including Norton and Macafee antivirus
programmes, not to mention Corel WordPerfect which I use in preference to
Microsoft Word (much better). The solution basically involves changing the
security settings for your programmes, I think. I haven't downloaded SP2 -
it causes problems with a large number of the programmes I use on a daily
basis.

Best wishes
Maxon

"Alan Moorman" <amoorman@visi.com> wrote in message
> Since I had some computer problems and reinstalled Windows
> XP, and then SP1 and then SP2, when I click on the icon for
> SC4RushHour I get:
>
> the splash screen for a couple of seconds.
>
> then it disappears.
>
> My normal desktop just sits there. The game doesn't
> continue to load and run.
>
> Any ideas how to fix this?
>

> Alan
>
> The only reason some people get lost in thought
> is because it's unfamiliar territory.
>
> Paul Fix
>
> =================================

Archived from groups: alt.games.simcity (More info?)

On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 16:07:20 GMT, Maxon put finger to keyboard and
typed:

>When SP2 was released we were warned that Sim City 4 wouldn't work with it.

SC4 works fine on my PC with SP2 installed. Contrary to the scare
stories, it hasn't broken anything on any of the three PCs that I've
installed it on.

Some people do have problems, but these are usually pretty easy to fix
with some configuration changes.

Mark
--
--> http://photos.markshouse.net - see my world! <--
"When you lose control, you'll reap the harvest you have sown"

Archived from groups: alt.games.simcity (More info?)

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 15:37:46 GMT, "AJ"
<wanink@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>Are you using the play disk, disk 2?

NO, I"m using disc #1.

Isn't that the one?

Alan

__________________________________

Question: What did one paradigm say to the other paradigm?

Answer: Shift happens.

___________________________________

AJ

> On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 15:37:46 GMT, "AJ"
> <wanink@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>
> >Are you using the play disk, disk 2?
> >

> NO, I"m using disc #1.
>
> Isn't that the one?

Are you serious? try the other one ;P I thought 1 was the install disc and 2
was the play disc.

P.S. Make sure it's installed first

Archived from groups: alt.games.simcity (More info?)

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 15:38:20 GMT, AJ put finger to keyboard and typed:

>"Alan Moorman" <amoorman@visi.com> wrote in message
>> On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 15:37:46 GMT, "AJ"
>> <wanink@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>>
>> >Are you using the play disk, disk 2?
>> >

>> NO, I"m using disc #1.
>>
>> Isn't that the one?
>>

>Are you serious? try the other one ;P I thought 1 was the install disc and 2
>was the play disc.

Rush Hour only has one disk. Which could be the problem - if RH is
installed, it won't play from either of the original game disks!

Mark
--
--> http://photos.markshouse.net - see my world! <--
"Shake off your golden shackles, children of time no more"

Archived from groups: alt.games.simcity (More info?)

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 15:38:20 GMT, "AJ"
<wanink@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>"Alan Moorman" <amoorman@visi.com> wrote in message
>> On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 15:37:46 GMT, "AJ"
>> <wanink@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>>
>> >Are you using the play disk, disk 2?
>> >

>> NO, I"m using disc #1.
>>
>> Isn't that the one?
>>

>Are you serious? try the other one ;P I thought 1 was the install disc and 2
>was the play disc.
>
>P.S. Make sure it's installed first

I'm just trying to get SC4 -- no Rush Hour -- to run. It
uses TWO discs to install the software.

I've tried with one and then the other disc in the CDrom,
but nothing happens when I try to start the game. The CDrom
spins for :15 - :20 and then spins down. Nothing else
happens.

Alan

__________________________________

Question: What did one paradigm say to the other paradigm?

Answer: Shift happens.

___________________________________

Archived from groups: alt.games.simcity (More info?)

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 19:30:05 +0100, Mark Goodge
<usenet@listmail.good-stuff.co.uk> wrote:

>On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 15:38:20 GMT, AJ put finger to keyboard and typed:
>

>>"Alan Moorman" <amoorman@visi.com> wrote in message

>>> NO, I"m using disc #1.
>>>
>>> Isn't that the one?
>>>

>>Are you serious? try the other one ;P I thought 1 was the install disc and 2
>>was the play disc.
>
>Rush Hour only has one disk. Which could be the problem - if RH is
>installed, it won't play from either of the original game disks!
>
>Mark

Rush Hour is not installed.

I uninstalled all Sim City software, and installed the plain
vanilla SC4.

That's what I'm having a problem with, even though the
installation SEEMED to be good!

Alan

__________________________________

> On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 15:38:20 GMT, "AJ"
> <wanink@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>

> >"Alan Moorman" <amoorman@visi.com> wrote in message

> >> NO, I"m using disc #1.
> >>
> >> Isn't that the one?
> >>

> >Are you serious? try the other one ;P I thought 1 was the install disc
and 2
> >was the play disc.
> >
> >P.S. Make sure it's installed first
> >
> I'm just trying to get SC4 -- no Rush Hour -- to run. It
> uses TWO discs to install the software.
>
> I've tried with one and then the other disc in the CDrom,
> but nothing happens when I try to start the game. The CDrom
> spins for :15 - :20 and then spins down. Nothing else
> happens.

Before you start the game, have both CD roms in the drive and go to My
Computer, right click and click Refresh. This should inform your computer
that you have cdroms in your drive. If it still doesn't show then rightclick
the cd rom drive (E:, for example) and click Eject. When you push the cd
back in it should recognize it. If you can, try loading the game from the CD
Rom drive. I tried this and it won't work for me but hey it might for you.
Also it could help if you go to the directory("C:\Program
Files\Maxis\SimCity 4 Deluxe\Apps\SimCity 4.exe") and execute the game with
no shortcut. Good luck man hope this helps.

Archived from groups: alt.games.simcity (More info?)

On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 21:04:49 +0100, Mark Goodge
<usenet@listmail.good-stuff.co.uk> wrote:

>On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 16:07:20 GMT, Maxon put finger to keyboard and
>typed:
>
>>When SP2 was released we were warned that Sim City 4 wouldn't work with it.
>
>SC4 works fine on my PC with SP2 installed. Contrary to the scare
>stories, it hasn't broken anything on any of the three PCs that I've
>installed it on.
>
>Some people do have problems, but these are usually pretty easy to fix
>with some configuration changes.
>
>Mark

Well, I after getting Norton Internet Security 2005 up and
running, I un-installed and re-installed SC4.

It worked just fine, for whatever reason.

So, I installed Rush Hour, and that worked, too!

Whatever caused the problem is gone, now.

> On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 21:04:49 +0100, Mark Goodge
> <usenet@listmail.good-stuff.co.uk> wrote:
>
> >On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 16:07:20 GMT, Maxon put finger to keyboard and
> >typed:
> >
> >>When SP2 was released we were warned that Sim City 4 wouldn't work with
it.

> >SC4 works fine on my PC with SP2 installed. Contrary to the scare
> >stories, it hasn't broken anything on any of the three PCs that I've
> >installed it on.
> >
> >Some people do have problems, but these are usually pretty easy to fix
> >with some configuration changes.
> >
> >Mark
>

> Well, I after getting Norton Internet Security 2005 up and
> running, I un-installed and re-installed SC4.
>
> It worked just fine, for whatever reason.
>
> So, I installed Rush Hour, and that worked, too!
>
> Whatever caused the problem is gone, now.

Woot. good to hear ;)

Archived from groups: alt.games.simcity (More info?)

uninstalled sp2 the game works again
"Alan Moorman" <amoorman@visi.com> wrote in message
> Since I had some computer problems and reinstalled Windows
> XP, and then SP1 and then SP2, when I click on the icon for
> SC4RushHour I get:
>
> the splash screen for a couple of seconds.
>
> then it disappears.
>
> My normal desktop just sits there. The game doesn't
> continue to load and run.
>
> Any ideas how to fix this?
>

> Alan
>
> The only reason some people get lost in thought
> is because it's unfamiliar territory.
>
> Paul Fix
>
> =================================

Archived from groups: alt.games.simcity (More info?)

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 14:13:35 +0930, "dmacka"
<dmacka@slmember.on.net> wrote:

>uninstalled sp2 the game works again

I uninstalled SC4 and reinstalled it. That worked.

(Kept SP2)

Alan

The Bible contains six admonishments to homosexuals
and 362 admonishments to heterosexuals.
That doesn't mean that God doesn't love heterosexuals.
It's just that they need more supervision.

Lynn Lavner - as published in PFLAG