I am currently running 98SE with:
400mhz celeron
150mb memory
60gb disk

I would like to upgrade to winXP. The reason is to
increase security, and be able to run stuff I cannot
run on 98SE. My current computer is plenty fast for me.
And, I think my existing hardware may be adequately fast
for winXP. A typical day for me would be to read news,
read mail, search medical sites. No games, no mp3,
occasionally flash player. So, I have very little
demand on my computer resources. The following plan
allows me to try out winXP on my existing computer
to see if my hardware is adequate. If not, then
it allows me to put that winXP on new hardware.
Any comments?

A. purchase winXP home edition OEM ($86 newegg.com)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16837102151
B. backup existing 98SE files.
C. install winXP
D. Try it out for 30 days, to see if my existing hardware
is adequately fast (as I understand the XP licensing
implementation, I have 30 days before needing to register).
If it is adequate, then register it with MS.
If memory seems to be a bottleneck, buy more memory
and register. If my existing hardware is not sufficiently
fast, then goto step E.
E. Purchase/build a new system (probably 2-3Ghz celeron),
and install winXP on it. If I get to this point,
I have not registered the winXP. So, register it with
this new hardware.

this is what MS says you need.....bare minimum
Here's What You Need to Use Windows XP Home Edition
. PC with 300 megahertz (MHz) or higher processor clock speed
recommended; 233-MHz minimum required;* Intel Pentium/Celeron family, AMD
K6/Athlon/Duron family, or compatible processor recommended

. 128 megabytes (MB) of RAM or higher recommended (64 MB minimum
supported; may limit performance and some features)

. 1.5 gigabyte (GB) of available hard disk space.*

. Super VGA (800 × 600) or higher resolution video adapter and monitor

. CD-ROM or DVD drive

. Keyboard and Microsoft Mouse or compatible pointing device

What you really need to run quickly and smoothly is double that
especially the RAM..

I would not purchase an OEM version of XP I would buy a full retail
version unless you have the 98SE installation disk in which case an upgrade
version will do nicely.The upgrade version needs to see the installation CD
or a 98 installation on the hard drive.

Install that on the old machine and see how you like its
speed........When you are disatisfied and decide to buy a newer computer it
would be less troublesome to install on the new machine (after removing from
the old machine)

You have 30 days to activate before is stops functioning.....but even
with activation on the old you can still move it and activate it on the new
machine if you remove it from the old.The 2nd Activation will be most likely
a phone call one.

hope this helps...................peterk

the problem
<williams12345@excite.com> wrote in message
>I am currently running 98SE with:
> 400mhz celeron
> 150mb memory
> 60gb disk
>

> I would like to upgrade to winXP. The reason is to
> increase security, and be able to run stuff I cannot
> run on 98SE. My current computer is plenty fast for me.
> And, I think my existing hardware may be adequately fast
> for winXP. A typical day for me would be to read news,
> read mail, search medical sites. No games, no mp3,
> occasionally flash player. So, I have very little
> demand on my computer resources. The following plan
> allows me to try out winXP on my existing computer
> to see if my hardware is adequate. If not, then
> it allows me to put that winXP on new hardware.
> Any comments?
>

> A. purchase winXP home edition OEM ($86 newegg.com)
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16837102151
> B. backup existing 98SE files.
> C. install winXP
> D. Try it out for 30 days, to see if my existing hardware
> is adequately fast (as I understand the XP licensing
> implementation, I have 30 days before needing to register).
> If it is adequate, then register it with MS.
> If memory seems to be a bottleneck, buy more memory
> and register. If my existing hardware is not sufficiently
> fast, then goto step E.
> E. Purchase/build a new system (probably 2-3Ghz celeron),
> and install winXP on it. If I get to this point,
> I have not registered the winXP. So, register it with
> this new hardware.

I' ve run XP on similar systems. Just turn off the eye candy after you
install and it will be not bad. I'd bump the RAM up to 256 if I could
though.
Here are upgrade tips http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/upgrade_tips.htm

To help speed the system up for you do the following after you have
installed XP
- Right click the My Computer icon and go to Properties->Advanced
Tab->Performance Settings button->and select the option to "Adjust for best
performance". Then OK out and OK out again.

- Right click the Desktop and select Properties->Appearance Tab->Effects
button->Uncheck "Use the following transition effect....."

- If you do an upgrade over Windows 98 the FAT32 format will be retained.
But if you clean install you can choose the NTFS format. After which you
will want to turn off Indexing services. To do that open My Computer and
right click the C drive. Select Properties->Uncheck "Allow Indexing....."
and on the box that pops open select for all folders and subfolders."

BTW your plan to purchase or build a new system is a good move. I'd pick
that option.
--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell\\User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

In news:1121311830.133340.175250@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com,
williams12345@excite.com <williams12345@excite.com> typed:

> I am currently running 98SE with:
> 400mhz celeron
> 150mb memory
> 60gb disk
>

> I would like to upgrade to winXP. The reason is to
> increase security, and be able to run stuff I cannot
> run on 98SE. My current computer is plenty fast for me.
> And, I think my existing hardware may be adequately fast
> for winXP. A typical day for me would be to read news,
> read mail, search medical sites. No games, no mp3,
> occasionally flash player. So, I have very little
> demand on my computer resources. The following plan
> allows me to try out winXP on my existing computer
> to see if my hardware is adequate. If not, then
> it allows me to put that winXP on new hardware.
> Any comments?

What you suggest sounds fine, *if* you upgrade your RAM to 256MB.
Other than that, your system will be far from a speed demon, but
it should be adeqate. One of my system running XP here is a
400MHZ PII-400 with 256MB and its speed is acceptable. Since your
demands on the hardware don't seem high, it should be OK if you
upgrade the RAM.

Please reply to the newsgroup

I upgraded a 450MHz PC, and XP ran quite well on it. I did invest in more
memory (384 Meg total to be precise). I recommend at least 256 Meg for XP,
even though it can run on less.

As for the OEM license, that is tied to one PC, meaning one motherboad. If
you activate it on the old PC, you will NOT be allowed to move it to a new
PC or upgrade the motherboard. The OEM version may not support a "repair"
install of XP, which is required for some hardware chnages, especially for
motherboard changes. I suggest that you consider the retail version,
instead of the OEM version. Note that you might be able to use a retail
upgrade version, if you have a CD with 98 or ME as proof of ownership of a
prior qualifying system.

I highly recommend that you run the free Microsoft Upgrade Advisor, and pay
attention to anything it finds. I had to remove my anti-virus and CD
writing software, then re-install after upgrading to XP. I also had to
patch the CD writing software for XP (Easy CD version 6). And, I needed to
buy a new software DVD player for XP.

If you use Office 97, you will need SP-2 for Office 97. Later version of
Office may not need patches for XP, although they do have patches for errors
and security flaws. Alternatively, Open Office 1.4 works fine under XP, and
is free.

<williams12345@excite.com> wrote in message
>I am currently running 98SE with:
> 400mhz celeron
> 150mb memory
> 60gb disk
>

> I would like to upgrade to winXP. The reason is to
> increase security, and be able to run stuff I cannot
> run on 98SE. My current computer is plenty fast for me.
> And, I think my existing hardware may be adequately fast
> for winXP. A typical day for me would be to read news,
> read mail, search medical sites. No games, no mp3,
> occasionally flash player. So, I have very little
> demand on my computer resources. The following plan
> allows me to try out winXP on my existing computer
> to see if my hardware is adequate. If not, then
> it allows me to put that winXP on new hardware.
> Any comments?
>

> A. purchase winXP home edition OEM ($86 newegg.com)
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16837102151
> B. backup existing 98SE files.
> C. install winXP
> D. Try it out for 30 days, to see if my existing hardware
> is adequately fast (as I understand the XP licensing
> implementation, I have 30 days before needing to register).
> If it is adequate, then register it with MS.
> If memory seems to be a bottleneck, buy more memory
> and register. If my existing hardware is not sufficiently
> fast, then goto step E.
> E. Purchase/build a new system (probably 2-3Ghz celeron),
> and install winXP on it. If I get to this point,
> I have not registered the winXP. So, register it with
> this new hardware.

You could probably get away with this system configuration *if* you
bumped the ram up to 256 and you turned off all the snazzy xp
functions/services. I do understand your wanting to save money by not
building/buying a new system... but it really does look like it's time
to bump up. Then again, it's your decision to make. Good Luck.

-Matt

--
matt_fleming

Thanks for the advice.
Since I see that a low end computer can be bought for
$300-$400, including windows XP, that seems like the
best choice. When you buy a new computer, is the
XP license a retail or OEM?

In news:1121555377.613067.287140@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com,
williams12345@excite.com <williams12345@excite.com> typed:

> Thanks for the advice.
> Since I see that a low end computer can be bought for
> $300-$400, including windows XP, that seems like the
> best choice. When you buy a new computer, is the
> XP license a retail or OEM?

If you're talking about a computer that comes with Windows XP
installed, that's almost invariably an OEM license.

Please reply to the newsgroup