any news on 8xxxx series graphics card replacement?

ginbong46

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2007
most probably he meant the unofficially named 8900's as he said the "replacement" of the 8xxx

most likely a next-gen PCIe2.0 DX10.1 =)

i am curious too hehe

bumping..

harmattan

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2006
If you mean the new "Geforce 9800" chip, not just a refresh, I'd not expect anything for several months. Unfortunately, little competition from AMD over the past year has stagnated new GPU release. My guess is nVidia already has a working model of the chip, but they are sitting on it until next year. My guess is it will be released March - April '08 when there will be better availability/prices of DDR3 memory and PCI-e 2.0 mobos.

All in all, I don't think this is a bad thing for the consumer-gamer. Hardware was beginning to far out-pace software: we're just start to get games that really stretch the legs of the 8800 series (almost a year after being released!). This leway probably gave nV (and ATI to some degree) more time to spend on R&D than in usual cycles. We will probably see some revolutionary stuff in the next GPUs. Also, I for one was getting sick of trying to justify an upgrade every 6 months.

choirbass

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2005
im also looking forward to the 9 series equivalent, that is whether they choose to use the same naming scheme ati had.

the main reason though i would even really be considering an upgrade like that from my current 7800gt 256, is because i may be getting a th2g de after not too much longer, and using it to then drive 3*19" lcds, so my current framerates at a given resolution will be reduced to a third of what they are now, so 60fps is the bare minimum needed at all times, otherwise you get definite choppiness at points. if i wasnt getting a th2g de though, my 7800gt would still suffice for quite awhile longer, easily another year or 2.

if i game at 1280x1024 for a single display native res, then ill need to change my res to 800x600 for 3 displays to get very similar fps... and there arent many current games that allow below 640x480, either (it doesnt support below 640x480 anyhow).

anyhow... thats a real reason i can see to upgrade a still capable gpu, beyond just wanting to stay on the cutting edge... upgrading, just to make it so your games are still even playable, so you dont need to reduce every setting down to the bare minimum, just to avoid stuttering.

aadamszc

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2007

He pretty much hit the nail on the head. Other than that, it has been rumored that the 9800 = 8800GTX2.

No1sFanboy

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=9506

D8M: Eighth generation mainstream, previously named G98
D8P: Eighth generation performance, previously named G92
D9M: Ninth generation mainstream
D9P: Ninth generation performance
D9E: Ninth generation enthusiast
D9E, the enthusiast component slated to replace the GeForce 8800-series, will incorporate all of the features of D9P and add a 512-bit memory bus. NVIDIA is holding its cards close on D9E, and has not provided any other guidance or release date.