scruff304

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2008
Hi all.

Sorry if this has been raised before. I did have a scan through the forums and couldn't find anything.

I've got a 500 gig seagate drive which was bought in Jan. When I got it I put it straight into a transcend HDD casing and ran it from there, only switching it on when it was in use. Don't run any games from it, but it does store movies, personal pics, images etc etc. . . A couple of nights ago it suddenly started to get real hot. To the point where I couldn't put my hand on the casing for to long and the show I was watching suddenly just froze. Took adrive out and left it overnight.

Last night I tried running it again outside the casing but still as an external drive. Same thing. Got to hot to touch and froze what I was watching.

The actual computer isn't hanging as all other functions work perfectly fine and don't halt at all. Only got the chance to download a monitoring program this morning. And while on the subject, what program can you guys recommend?

Only thing I can think of is returning the thing and asking fir a new one. Any other ideas are welcome. Ta for the help.

SomeJoe7777

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
Ya, you need to RMA the drive. I've seen drives get too hot in poorly designed external cases with insufficient ventilation, but if the drive was outside the casing and getting too hot, there's something wrong with it.

You might try leaving the drive to cool fully to room temperature, then power it up under a fan with high airflow. It may stay online long enough to get your data off of it.