TV Guide Onscreen//Cablecards

Last response: in Home Theatre
Share
April 30, 2005 6:50:14 PM

Hi there,
Anyone own a recent TV that has TV Guide Onscreen?? How do you like it? Does
it work flawlessly? It is supposed to give today's programming plus 7
further days beyond that. I have my eyes on a Sharp LCD TV for my daughter,
the model LC-32D5U, a 2005 model, which does have this feature. Sounds
grand. I say so because I've got so accustomed to Time-Warner's digital
cable program guide I think I'll probably never go back to analog cable
without an onscreen program guide. But I have no idea how the TV Guide one
is say compared to Tivo. Nice thing about TV Guide onscreen is that it is
built in into the TV and you don't need a box. And if you install a
Cablecard, then you have full digital cable and don't need a box to get an
onscreen guide. But...I hear Cable cards are one-way, you can't use them for
pay-per-view and on-demand TV.....even with a TV Guide Onscreen. Two-way
cable cards are coming, though, I hear. I wonder if TVs being made now for
cablecard can accommodate the 2-way cablecards of the future.
Roger
p.s. anyone know of any Plasma TVs which have TV Guide onscreen??
Anonymous
April 30, 2005 7:56:43 PM

The Sony TV we have, a KDF-60XS955, has an onscreen "guide" that,
theoretically, provides channel number, channel name & program information.
But it is dependent on getting that information as part of the signal,
either OTA or from the cable company. We only occasionally watch OTA (e.g.,
"Smallville" since the local WB station is not carried in HD on TW Cable
here) and it is my recollection that only occasionally is there any more
information OTA for the guide than the channel # and name. When we had
CableCard, TW sent down no guide information so, again, the TV set's guide
showed only # and (usually, but not always) channel name. I don't know
anything about a "TV Guide onscreen", other than what I just described.

mack
austin

"Roger" <nospam@world.com> wrote in message
> Hi there,
> Anyone own a recent TV that has TV Guide Onscreen?? How do you like it?
> Does it work flawlessly? It is supposed to give today's programming plus 7
> further days beyond that. I have my eyes on a Sharp LCD TV for my
> daughter, the model LC-32D5U, a 2005 model, which does have this feature.
> Sounds grand. I say so because I've got so accustomed to Time-Warner's
> digital cable program guide I think I'll probably never go back to analog
> cable without an onscreen program guide. But I have no idea how the TV
> Guide one is say compared to Tivo. Nice thing about TV Guide onscreen is
> that it is built in into the TV and you don't need a box. And if you
> install a Cablecard, then you have full digital cable and don't need a box
> to get an onscreen guide. But...I hear Cable cards are one-way, you can't
> use them for pay-per-view and on-demand TV.....even with a TV Guide
> Onscreen. Two-way cable cards are coming, though, I hear. I wonder if TVs
> being made now for cablecard can accommodate the 2-way cablecards of the
> future.
> Roger
> p.s. anyone know of any Plasma TVs which have TV Guide onscreen??

Anonymous
April 30, 2005 10:41:06 PM

Roger <nospam@world.com> wrote:
> Hi there,
> Anyone own a recent TV that has TV Guide Onscreen?? How do you like it? Does
> it work flawlessly? It is supposed to give today's programming plus 7

I don't have it, but have read part of a long thread of complaints
about it on avsforum. Here's the link:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&thread...

--
Greg Lee <greg@ling.lll.hawaii.edu>