Question about wireless adapters

Alright, so i have done some research about the pros and cons of an internal and a usb wireless adapter. I have a wireless network setup in my house and my computer is the farthest from the router. I am currently using a usb adapter and it works, but I only have half the possible signal. My girlfriend recently got a laptop that came with an internal adapter ,as they normally do, and when I connected it to the network while being in the same room as my computer it had 4 out of the 5 bars. It had a much better signal then my computer which uses the usb adapter, now I have read that usb are better and pick up signals better, but what could be the problem. Could it be my usb adapter, should I try another or try an internal? Thanks in advance for the answers :)
4 answers Last reply
More about question wireless adapters
  1. Wish it were so simple.

Laptop's wireless technology is probably newer than the USB stick -- or has newer driver.

On the other hand, the USB can be re-orientated more easily (with extension lead).

Personally I would usually avoid USB as the only real advantage is that it can be moved from desktop to laptop as needed.

For desktops I would always go with PCI -- for laptop use a card for whatever slot you have (PCMCIA or newer).

In the meantime, update your USB wirless adapter's driver and try using the extension lead.
  2. Alright so just to make sure I understand lol since im slow, you think I should drop the usb and get a pci for the desktop instead? Thats what I was thinking but I wanted a second opinion lol.
  3. Does your USB adapter have an extension cable? If yes, have you tried moving the adapter to different locations?

Grumpy
  4. Quote:
    Does your USB adapter have an extension cable? If yes, have you tried moving the adapter to different locations?

Grumpy

Exactly -- before spending money try also changing channels, relocating cordless phone base or video sender away from computer or router, try raising the router above furniture level.
Ask a new question

Read More

Connectivity Computers USB Adapter Wireless Networking