Sign in with
Your question

Question about wireless adapters

Last response: in Wireless Networking
February 21, 2009 6:50:25 PM

Alright, so i have done some research about the pros and cons of an internal and a usb wireless adapter. I have a wireless network setup in my house and my computer is the farthest from the router. I am currently using a usb adapter and it works, but I only have half the possible signal. My girlfriend recently got a laptop that came with an internal adapter ,as they normally do, and when I connected it to the network while being in the same room as my computer it had 4 out of the 5 bars. It had a much better signal then my computer which uses the usb adapter, now I have read that usb are better and pick up signals better, but what could be the problem. Could it be my usb adapter, should I try another or try an internal? Thanks in advance for the answers :) 
Anonymous
February 22, 2009 7:16:39 AM

Wish it were so simple.

Laptop's wireless technology is probably newer than the USB stick -- or has newer driver.

On the other hand, the USB can be re-orientated more easily (with extension lead).

Personally I would usually avoid USB as the only real advantage is that it can be moved from desktop to laptop as needed.

For desktops I would always go with PCI -- for laptop use a card for whatever slot you have (PCMCIA or newer).

In the meantime, update your USB wirless adapter's driver and try using the extension lead.
February 22, 2009 5:41:20 PM

Alright so just to make sure I understand lol since im slow, you think I should drop the usb and get a pci for the desktop instead? Thats what I was thinking but I wanted a second opinion lol.
Related resources
Anonymous
February 22, 2009 6:37:59 PM

Does your USB adapter have an extension cable? If yes, have you tried moving the adapter to different locations?

Grumpy
Anonymous
February 22, 2009 7:14:32 PM

Quote:
Does your USB adapter have an extension cable? If yes, have you tried moving the adapter to different locations?

Grumpy

Exactly -- before spending money try also changing channels, relocating cordless phone base or video sender away from computer or router, try raising the router above furniture level.

!