I have a brand spanking new lap top. And I have noticed over the last few
years that when I buy a computer I am getting less and less in the way of
CDs.

Now I got a card with a blue circle on it saying there is no driver disk or
OS disk. And tells me how I can restore my system to new condition.

Liked it the old way better when we got a full OS disk with a new system.

My question is, I have XP Pro, I want an OS disk. Can I buy an upgrade or do
I have to shell out for the full OS disk? From a reputable source I see it
for 250 USD. That's a bit steep just for pieces parts to update/fix problems
or to reinstall.

Any assistance appreciated.

Many computers have an option to create the necessary CDs.
Check your manual and/or contact the seller of the computer for the options
of getting the CDs.

If you have to go to Microsoft, you will pay full price.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

"Skiph" <Skiph@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a brand spanking new lap top. And I have noticed over the last few
> years that when I buy a computer I am getting less and less in the way of
> CDs.
>
> Now I got a card with a blue circle on it saying there is no driver disk
> or
> OS disk. And tells me how I can restore my system to new condition.
>
> Liked it the old way better when we got a full OS disk with a new system.
>
> My question is, I have XP Pro, I want an OS disk. Can I buy an upgrade or
> do
> I have to shell out for the full OS disk? From a reputable source I see it
> for 250 USD. That's a bit steep just for pieces parts to update/fix
> problems
> or to reinstall.
>
> Any assistance appreciated.

"Skiph" <Skiph@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have a brand spanking new lap top. And I have noticed over the last few
> years that when I buy a computer I am getting less and less in the way of
> CDs.
>
> Now I got a card with a blue circle on it saying there is no driver disk
or
> OS disk. And tells me how I can restore my system to new condition.
>
> Liked it the old way better when we got a full OS disk with a new system.

So do I. If you buy a computer from a small retail outlet you can usually
specify exactly what you want although it may cost you slightly more. You
also get the discs if you build your own PC obviously. It's slightly harder
to find a laptop supplied with all the discs (not forgetting the vendor
specific drivers a portable might need) but perhaps not impossible?

> My question is, I have XP Pro, I want an OS disk. Can I buy an upgrade or
do
> I have to shell out for the full OS disk? From a reputable source I see it
> for 250 USD. That's a bit steep just for pieces parts to update/fix
problems
> or to reinstall.

Perhaps..
http://www.easydesksoftware.com/news/news1.htm
http://www.easydesksoftware.com/recovery.htm

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 22:55:01 -0700, "Skiph"
<Skiph@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have a brand spanking new lap top. And I have noticed over the last few
>years that when I buy a computer I am getting less and less in the way of
>CDs.
>
>Now I got a card with a blue circle on it saying there is no driver disk or
>OS disk. And tells me how I can restore my system to new condition.
>
>Liked it the old way better when we got a full OS disk with a new system.
>
>My question is, I have XP Pro, I want an OS disk. Can I buy an upgrade or do
>I have to shell out for the full OS disk? From a reputable source I see it
>for 250 USD. That's a bit steep just for pieces parts to update/fix problems
>or to reinstall.
>
>Any assistance appreciated.

You can purchase and use the "Retail Upgrade" CD IF:
1) You have a current installation of Windows 98/98SE/ME/NT
4.1+/Windows 2000/WindowsXP Home/Pro on your HD when you install XP.
This is the way to go if you do not have the OS installation CD for a
previous version of Windows.
2) You possess the OS installation CD from a previous version of
Windows. This OS install CD MUST be a FULL RETAIL CD,or so-called
"FULL OEM" CD. This is the best situation, and you will pay at least
$100 less than the "FULL RETAIL" version of the XP install CD. The
"Retail Upgrade" CD can do either a clean install, which will entail
the destruction of all programs and data on your HD, and will wind up
with the most stable installation of XP, or an upgrade, which will
keep your current file system intact, but may be unstable.

Current XP "Full Retail" prices:
From Microsoft
XP Pro -- $299 XP Home -- $199. The COAs for these products will be
printed directly on the distribution packaging, while the Product Key
will be printed on a piece of orange paper, and stuck to the back of
the product sleeve.

From third-party distributors
XP Pro -- $250 and up XP Home -- $125 and up
The COA and Product Keys for these packages will be the same as the
packages from Microsoft, since the distribution packages are
manufactured by Microsoft.

Current XP "Full OEM" prices:
Around $125
This package contains all the code as a "Full Retail", but will not be
able to perform an "Upgrade" install and will necessitate the
destruction of all programs and data on your HD(although some "Full
OEM" packages will allow you to perform a "Repair Install", which will
keep your file system structure mostly intact.) "Full OEM" packages
contain the COA and Product key printed on specially-printed stickers
containing Microsoft holograms.

These stickers are almost always found attached to the shrink-wrap of
the package containing the CD and introduction booklet. Be very
careful when disposing of this shrink wrap, since most distributors of
"Full OEM" software seldom record the CD keys distributed with each
package they sell, and you will have to purchase a completely new
license for XP if the COA is lost.

Microsoft has recently changed its policy concerning Internet
Activation of some OEM software: They now no longer allow automatic
Activation of the newly-installed software via the Internet. For the
affected copies of OEM software, an activation via telephone is
required. While Microsoft has not announced this change for ALL OEM
copies of XP, they MAY change their activation policy at any time for
ALL OEM copies of XP.

I personally advise people to purchase the XP "Retail Upgrade"
installation media, since they will save at least $100 on their
purchase, and they will always be guaranteed an Internet Activation of
their software, and they can be assured that they have genuine
Microsoft software, which will be fully supported by Microsoft.

Although, if you really need to save money, purchase the "Full OEM"
distribution package. But make sure it is not a "Pull" (a
manufacturer's OEM which was originally produced for distribution with
a new computer, but never used. The COAs of packages like these will
contain a string on the COA containing the name of the manufacturer
the CD was manufactured for. If the distributor of these packages is
on Microsoft's list of manufacturers of computers for which Microsoft
has disallowed Internet Activations, you will be at the mercy of
Microsoft for activation of your software.

I also advise EVERYONE to NOT purchase XP software via auction
services such as eBay. XP software sold on eBay is notorious for
being pirated. Purchasing pirated software will only ensure no
updates from Microsoft. While it MAY save you a few bucks, it will
almost always result in eventually having to purchase a legitimate
license for XP at your own expense, and will make you a law-breaker if
you use it.

Donald L McDaniel
Please reply to the original thread.
If you must reply via email, remove the obvious
from my email address before sending.

br549

Instead of wasting the money on the XP cd, use it to purchase one of the
many imaging applications out there and create an image of your XP partition
to cd, dvd or an external disk. It will cost you a whole lot less money and
give you the ability to restore your laptop to exactly where it was when you
imaged it. I built my own pc and have XP Home. The only time I've needed
that cd was when I installed it, haven't taken it out of the pkg it came in
since.

"BR549" <sirspamalot@spammer.com> wrote in message
> Instead of wasting the money on the XP cd, use it to purchase one of the
> many imaging applications out there and create an image of your XP
> partition
> to cd, dvd or an external disk. It will cost you a whole lot less money
> and
> give you the ability to restore your laptop to exactly where it was when
> you
> imaged it. I built my own pc and have XP Home. The only time I've needed
> that cd was when I installed it, haven't taken it out of the pkg it came
> in
> since.

Unfortunately, this approach doesn't help if you need to run the recovery
console or a repair install (for which you need a bootable CD).

There is always a data difference between an image and the current state of
a system. Simply re-installing an image can guarantee data loss, unless
you've carefully set up the system so that every bit of user data is on a
non-system partition. But even then, there will be registry differences.

Many systems that come without OS disks do come with instructions to make
one. It's a very good idea to follow these directions. One needs to wind
up with a bootable OS install disk, with the recovery console available.

Alternately, contact the system supplier and request a bootable OS disk.
Some charges may apply - this scheme is intended to save money for the
manufacturer and customer.

Manufacturers who will only provide the ability to restore a system to
factory specs, with no care for data loss, should not be patronized.

HTH
-pk

Skiph wrote:
> I have a brand spanking new lap top. And I have noticed over the last few
> years that when I buy a computer I am getting less and less in the way of
> CDs.

Are you not also, in general, paying less and less for each subsequent
computer? So is it really any surprise that you're also getting less?

> Now I got a card with a blue circle on it saying there is no driver disk or
> OS disk. And tells me how I can restore my system to new condition.

Legally, the OEM has met it's contractual obligation to Microsoft by
providing a means of returning the PC to its ex-factory state, whether
it's a Recovery CD or a Recovery Partition. Sadly, they are not legally
obliged to provide a true installation CD as part of the sale.
Reputable, customer-service aware OEMs, like Dell, MPC, and Gateway,
(there may well be others, but these spring to mind immediately) do
provide a full OEM installation CD, that does permit custom
installations and repairs. Many uncaring OEMs, especially those who
sell their computers through department stores and chain outlets, such
as Compaq, HP, eMachines, and Sony, however, in an effort to save
pennies and reduce their support costs by having to hire support people
that can only say "Boot from the Recovery CD to return your PC to its
original condition," provide only a CD bearing a disk image of the hard
drive as it left the factory. These Recovery/Restore CDs cannot perform
normal installations, nor can they be used to do any sort of customizations.

Essentially, it boils down to "You get what you pay for."

> Liked it the old way better when we got a full OS disk with a new system.

The "old way" still exists. One can still get a full set of OS,
application, and driver CDs with a new computer, but one must be
somewhat selective in choosing computer brands, and be willing to pay a
bit more.

> My question is, I have XP Pro, I want an OS disk. Can I buy an upgrade or do
> I have to shell out for the full OS disk?

Before buying an unnecessary retail license, you should first contact
the laptop's manufacturer to see if they are willing to provide you (at
a nominal cost) with an installation or recovery CD.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

"Skiph" <Skiph@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have a brand spanking new lap top. And I have noticed over the last few
>years that when I buy a computer I am getting less and less in the way of
>CDs.
>
>Now I got a card with a blue circle on it saying there is no driver disk or
>OS disk. And tells me how I can restore my system to new condition.
>
>Liked it the old way better when we got a full OS disk with a new system.
>
>My question is, I have XP Pro, I want an OS disk. Can I buy an upgrade or do
>I have to shell out for the full OS disk? From a reputable source I see it
>for 250 USD. That's a bit steep just for pieces parts to update/fix problems
>or to reinstall.
>
>Any assistance appreciated.

Check with your laptop manufacturer's customer service dept. They may
be willing to provide you with the installation CDs, but there may be
a charge for this.

Also inquire about the type of CD that they provide - is it just a
"system recovery" disk image of the factory install or is it an
installation CD that includes the ability to boot to Recovery Console
and to do a Repair Install.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

http://aumha.org/alex.htm

It's difficult to survive w/o an XP CD these days. You can buy an old
qualifing OS for a few bucks and then the upgrade version of XP - saves you
some; alternatively, ask the vendor of the laptop for a solution to make
your own XP CD.

Michael

"Skiph" <Skiph@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a brand spanking new lap top. And I have noticed over the last few
> years that when I buy a computer I am getting less and less in the way of
> CDs.
>
> Now I got a card with a blue circle on it saying there is no driver disk
> or
> OS disk. And tells me how I can restore my system to new condition.
>
> Liked it the old way better when we got a full OS disk with a new system.
>
> My question is, I have XP Pro, I want an OS disk. Can I buy an upgrade or
> do
> I have to shell out for the full OS disk? From a reputable source I see it
> for 250 USD. That's a bit steep just for pieces parts to update/fix
> problems
> or to reinstall.
>
> Any assistance appreciated.

Someone earlier suggested using a image and I have to agree that it is
one of the better solutions. While you do have to be careful about
backing your files onto a non-system partition, it restores everything
quickly.

Second option is to just burn one, I am almost positive you can copy
a XP installation CD, and as long as you have a cd key you are good to
go. At the HelpDesk I was working at we had many copies of the install
cd which seemed to work flawlessly.

-Matt

--
matt_fleming

You can do lots of things - even create your own XP Cd using your XP
installation (the I386 folder) on hard drive and all type of tools available
on the web; however, it's tedious and not always successful. In other words,
it's not worth the time (unless you make a hobby out of it :) if you can get
a genuine XP Pro CD.

Imaging also might save you at least to some retrievable files - restoring
the boot partition is not always completly successful either. Acronis True
Image 8.0, or BootIt NG would do for that.
No matter what you do, save whatever precious files you have on some media
asap.
Michael

"matt_fleming" <matt_fleming.1s81po@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

> Someone earlier suggested using a image and I have to agree that it is
> one of the better solutions. While you do have to be careful about
> backing your files onto a non-system partition, it restores everything
> quickly.
>
> Second option is to just burn one, I am almost positive you can copy
> a XP installation CD, and as long as you have a cd key you are good to
> go. At the HelpDesk I was working at we had many copies of the install
> cd which seemed to work flawlessly.
>
> -Matt
>
> Phillips Wrote:
>> It's difficult to survive w/o an XP CD these days. You can buy an old
>> qualifing OS for a few bucks and then the upgrade version of XP -
>> saves you
>> some; alternatively, ask the vendor of the laptop for a solution to
>> make
>> your own XP CD.
>>
>> Michael
>>
>> "Skiph" Skiph@discussions.microsoft.com wrote in message
>> I have a brand spanking new lap top. And I have noticed over the last
>> few
>> years that when I buy a computer I am getting less and less in the way
>> of
>> CDs.
>>
>> Now I got a card with a blue circle on it saying there is no driver
>> disk
>> or
>> OS disk. And tells me how I can restore my system to new condition.
>>
>> Liked it the old way better when we got a full OS disk with a new
>> system.
>>
>> My question is, I have XP Pro, I want an OS disk. Can I buy an upgrade
>> or
>> do
>> I have to shell out for the full OS disk? From a reputable source I
>> see it
>> for 250 USD. That's a bit steep just for pieces parts to update/fix
>> problems
>> or to reinstall.
>>
>> Any assistance appreciated.
>>
>> -
>

> --
> matt_fleming

matt_fleming <matt_fleming.1s81po@pcbanter.net> wrote:

>Second option is to just burn one, I am almost positive you can copy
>a XP installation CD, and as long as you have a cd key you are good to
>go. At the HelpDesk I was working at we had many copies of the install
>cd which seemed to work flawlessly.

That is not likely to work. In order to do so it would require that
the CD be for the same version and type of Windows XP as is the CD
key.

There are 4 versions of Windows XP:
Home, Pro, Media Center, and Tablet PC

There are (at least) 6 different types of Windows XP:
Retail Full Install, Retail Upgrade, OEM SLP, OEM Generic, Volume
License, and Value Pack.

Product keys are coded specifically for both the version and type of
Windows XP and will not work with a CD that is not of the same version
and type.

Hope this clarifies the situation.