Sign in with
Your question

Can't wait til the dust settles to get an 8800 gt

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 9, 2007 1:16:57 PM

I've been without a computer (not counting the kitchen computer which is just for internetting)
since March, and I'm finally gathering the cash to do a total upgrade on the dead one.

So what a boon, having the 8800gt come out right now. I have to wait til about the middle of
Dec. so that I have all the cash together, so I can buy the parts all at once and do the build,
then be able to return anything that might have come out bad.

So I'm noticing people mention things like bad batches of 8800gt's, too high prices on it,
companies selling nvidia ones instead of their own, and etc.

So I'm wondering if all this stuff could be worked out by about Dec.15, or might it
take longer?? I guess this is the stuff that could make one nervous about buying
a new model of graphics card.

November 9, 2007 2:52:06 PM

I would imagine that everything will be settled be then. From what I hear, there should be ~200,000-300,000 GTs out by the end of the year. That means:

-Prices should go down.
-Errors should be fixed.

You probably won't be seeing many companies making their own so soon, but maybe a few months from now.
November 9, 2007 2:59:47 PM

aadamszc said:
I would imagine that everything will be settled be then. From what I hear, there should be ~200,000-300,000 GTs out by the end of the year. That means:

-Prices should go down.
-Errors should be fixed.

well that's good thank you!

aadamszc said:
You probably won't be seeing many companies making their own so soon, but maybe a few months from now.

Bummer. Oh well, maybe an evga that's really a stock nvidia will still be good with evga warranty policies.

Thanks very much!
Related resources
November 9, 2007 3:18:09 PM

may be worth checking out the HD3870. 10% faster than a 2900XT (apparently), runs cooler and takes less power than 8800GTs and will be cheaper.
a c 130 U Graphics card
November 9, 2007 6:06:33 PM

abigsmurf said:
may be worth checking out the HD3870. 10% faster than a 2900XT (apparently), runs cooler and takes less power than 8800GTs and will be cheaper.

Do you have any performance benchmarks for that 10% or is it just what ATI are claiming ?
Can you post the links if you have any.
Thanks
Mactronix
!