Asus P5K Deluxe RAID setup

BMS

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2004
Hi guys,

I currently have a setup involving an ASUS P5K Deluxe WiFi app mobo and a Samsung 500MB SATA2 Hdd. With Vista x64 (ducks) installed

I would like to make a nice RAID 0 setup and would like to know if it is possible to retain all my current settings and spread it accross both disks when I plug it in.

Not sure if this is very clearly worded, basically, I want all the files currently on my system to be spread accross the 2nd disk in a RAID array when I plug it in.

Is this possible?

mr2smokinu

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2007
A RAID 0 setup is going to be used when you have 2 HDs and you want to have them act as one super fast hard drive. The computer basically writes and reads with both of them at the same time. So, a RAID 0 setup is not used for what you want to do.

A RAID 1 setup will allow you to use 2 hard drives that mirror each other. Basically, the computer writes the same information to both hard drives. This is used so that if one hard drive fails, you have the second one to go off of. So, for what you want to do, you will want to use a RAID 1 setup.

Now you stated that you have A (1) Samsung 500MB SATA2 Hard Drive. Because it seems you only have 1 hard drive, you will not be using RAID 0 or RAID 1, as it is REQUIRED to have 2 physical hard drives for any RAID configuration.

1haplo

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
If you want to use RAID 0 then you would have to reinstall.

Cause if you install the second hard drive and change the BIOS to RAID and enter the Intel Matrix Storage Manager by pressing CTRL+I, when you take the 2 Non RAID drives and add them to a RAID you will distroy all data on both drives.

The sad thing is you need to reinstall Vista to go from a non-RAID to RAID setup as you bootable drive.

Just remember if you use a RAID0 and one of the drives craps out you will loose all data on both drives......So Backup important data.

1Haplo