Sign in with
Your question

q6600 overclocked but with 4Gb ram

Last response: in Overclocking
February 11, 2008 11:31:43 AM

Hi
I read the article "Sibling Rivalry - Intel E6750 and Q6600 Overclocking Duel" back in november.( http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/Intel-E6750-Q6600-MSI-Gig... ) I have bought all of the parts required to build this system however I have purchased 4Gb of ram instead of 2Gb as I want the option of running a 64bit operating system. I then read somewhere that if the memory is increased when overclocked the system will become unstable. Has anyone any experience of this system and if so will the setup discussed in the article need to be changed if I use 4Gb of ram?

Many thanks
February 11, 2008 4:36:01 PM

I can't speak to the exact system used in the article, but I am running a Q6600, with 4 GB (2x2) of RAM in the GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L.

I am in the process of OC'ing now, but I can say I've gotten to 3.3Ghz with no stability problems whatsoever.

I had read there might be some issues installing Vista 64 with 4GB installed, so I only put in one stick for the install, and added the other after I knew Vista was up-to-date.

Reading these forums for the last month, it seems to me that MANY of the problems people run into end up being memory related. I think the moral of the story is DON'T BUY CHEAP RAM.

I've still got my timing loosened to 5-5-5-15, but once I find my MAX OC, I will tighten back up to the rated 4-4-4-12.

Good Luck.
!