Q6700+GA-P35-DS3L Temps

singingigo

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2007
Here's what I've got:

Q6700 with Intel HSF (Arctic Sliver 5 TC)
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L
2x1GB G.Skill DDR2-800

I wanted to try a little overclock...I know I can't go too high with the stock heatsink, but I figured I might be able to get a 5-10% OC without too much trouble. However, I had a little trouble initially, so I reset to defaults and ran some checks:

CoreTemp shows idle temps around 41C. When I pun Prime95, temps stabilize at 71C, which is the max rated temp for this chip. Are these temps normal? If so, do I have any room to overclock? (I updated to the F8a BIOS, which supposedly improves vdroop)

I tried lowering the voltage from 1.2750 to 1.2625, and my idle temps drop to 39C, but the load temps are the same. I'm planning on messing around with it a bit more, but I want to be careful.

I only have 1 case fan...will adding another fan help get the temps down? Or is it really an issue of getting a better HSF and/or lapping (which I don't want to do)?

Thanks!

Evilonigiri

Splendid
Jun 8, 2007
If you're getting a load of 71C, you should not OC. Get an aftermarket heatsink such as the Zerotherm Nirvana before doing anything. You want to have a load temp of under 65C when running Prime95.

Evilonigiri

Splendid
Jun 8, 2007

What do you mean by undervolting? Like lowering the voltages? You only can lower the voltages to an extent before your cpu becomes unstable.

singingigo

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2007
Yes, that is what I mean. Obviously, if I undervolt too much, the CPU will become unstable. But if people can OC the Q6700 to 3GHZ on stock voltage, it stands to reason that the Q6700 can hit 2.66 stable at a lower voltage than stock. I'm just wondering what that voltage might be...it's one way to get the temps down.

Evilonigiri

Splendid
Jun 8, 2007

Each cpu will be different. What I suggest you to do is lower the voltages by a notch or so, then run Prime95 for 10mins. If it passes, lower it a notch again. Keep doing this until Prime95 (small FFT test) fails within 10mins. Then raise the voltages up by 2 notch and run Prime95 for 8hours. If it fails, raise it again.

althius

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2008
I have the Q6600, and the DS3L. I'm not sure how much of a difference there is between the 66 and the 67, but my Thermalright Ultra Exteme 120 keeps my idle temps at around 26 at the stock of 2.4Ghz. Load under Prime takes it to 38C. I got the TRUE from jab-tech and it only cost around $60. Well worth it. Right now I'm OC'ed to 3.5Ghz and my temps are running around 51C.

My understanding is really want to see how low voltage you can go is to just keep dropping it, and testing it in PRIME. If you can run it its good, if it BSODs or you get an error... take it back up. I'm having to run at 1.475 to get my 3.5Ghz.

Interesting what you say about the Vdroop on 8a, I hadn't heard that.

edt: Evilonigiri beat me to it :)

CompuTronix

Intel Master
singingigo, please read the Sticky's at the top of this Forum:

HOWTO: Overclock C2Q (Quads) and C2D (Duals) - A Guide v1.4; http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/240001-29-howto-overclock-quads-duals-guide

Core 2 Quad and Duo Temperature Guide; http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/221745-29-core-quad-temperature-guide

Like many users, you have confused CPU temperature (Tcase) with Core temperature (Tjunction). From your opening statement:

"CoreTemp shows idle temps around 41C. When I pun Prime95, temps stabilize at 71C, which is the max rated temp for this chip. Are these temps normal?"

71c is not the max rated Core temp (Tjunction), it is instead the max rated CPU temp (Tcase). From the Temperature Guide:

Section 6: Scale

Scale 3: Quad
Q6x00: Tcase Max 71c, G0 Stepping, Tjunction Max 100c, Vcore Default 1.372, TDP 95w, Delta 10c

-Tcase/Tjunction-
--70--/--80--80--80--80-- Hot
--65--/--75--75--75--75-- Warm
--60--/--70--70--70--70-- Safe
--25--/--35--35--35--35-- Cool

If you'd like to learn how to properly test, calibrate and monitor your temps so that you know they're correct, then check out the Temp Guide. Also, it's important to mention your ambient temperature when posting.

Comp :sol:

singingigo

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2007
Thanks for the post. I did read and reread that V1.4 OC guide. I visited the hyperlinks. I guess I just didn't understand that the number displayed by CoreTemp was not the same as the rated...I read elsewhere that is was safe to go a few degrees past that. I realized that coretemp was showing TJunction, I just thought that the 71C rating was what was "safe" but intel wouldn't shut it down until 100C...obviously I was wrong.

At any rate, I'm getting a Tjunction of 71C at stock speed AND undervolted by .0775. My ambient room temp is 68F. My Case temps, I have no idea on...I can check.

CompuTronix

Intel Master
Keep in mind that the term "Case" refers to "CPU Case", and is not to be confused with the term "compouter case".

From the Temp Guide:

Section 1: Introduction

Intel provides separate thermal specifications for 2 different sensor types; a single Case Thermal Diode located within the CPU die between the Cores, and Digital Thermal Sensors located within each Core. The Case Thermal Diode measures Tcase (Temperature Case), which is commonly known as CPU temp, and the Digital Thermal Sensors measure Tjunction (Temperature Junction), which is commonly known as Core temp. Since these sensors measure 2 distinct thermal levels, there is a constant temperature difference between them, which is referred to as Tcase to Junction Delta. C2Q`s have 1 Tcase and 4 Junction sensors, while C2D`s have 1 Tcase and 2 Junction sensors.

The scale in my previous post is referrenced to 22c ambient, which is specified as a standard. Since your ambient is already below this value at 20c (68F), your current Core temp at 71c would adjust to 73c at 22c ambient. This means that you have no headroom for overclocking, except for whatever stable frequency you can achieve without increasing Vcore. As your Core temp is beyond the top of the Safe Scale, the bottom line is that you need a good quality cooler if you want to OC your Q6700.

Mondoman

Splendid
sing, you may indeed have a not-quite-properly installed heatsink on the CPU (the Intel 4-pin mechanism is notorious for this) or insufficient airflow through your case. To check on the latter, take the side panel off the case (thus allowing close-to-ambient-temp air direct access to the CPU cooler); I believe this is described in comp's temp guide. If this substantially lowers the idle temp, that would suggest that your case would benefit by adding another 12cm exhaust fan and/or replacing a current one with a higher-airflow model.
Regarding the heatsink mounting, here's a post with some details on proper mounting: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/194385-31-part-assembly#t1184072
The two most common problems are (1) installing the hsf *after* the MB is already mounted in the case, thus making it very difficult to get the hsf pins all the way through their holes and (2) not turning each plastic pin completely *opposite* the arrow on top before mounting. The arrow indicates how to *release* the hsf, not how to mount it.

CompuTronix

Intel Master
bildo123, you must be thinking of graysky. He wrote the OC Guide, and before him it was wusy. There's also the P4 and A64 OC Guides, as well as many other excellent Guides. I think the most recent contributions are the Video Card OC Guide written by our friend cnumarytr, and the CPU Buyers' Guide, written by one of our very helpful moderators, turpit.

Whether having written a Guide or not, there are so many experienced and highly knowledgable GuRu's here on Tom's Forums, who are always ready to provide guidance for those struggling to solve problems. I'm continually amazed and grateful to find myself in such good company. Mondoman is a perfect example of one of the very sharp and excellent mainstays among the Forums, as are so many talented others that come to mind.

Your many contributions are also appreciated, bildo123. I always read your posts with interest, and look forward to seeing you here as a permanent Forum fixture. As far as overclocking is concerned, the topic certainly overlaps with my Temp Guide, however, I have no ambitions for attempting to become the resident OC wizard. I'm quite content to keep my efforts focused on temperatures, which often exceeds the time I have available to devote to it.

I can't possibly respond to all the threads scattered around the assorted Forums which are asking for help with Core 2 processor temperatures, nor do I correctly analyze the problems 100% of the time. I need all the assistance I can get from those who "get it".

Thank you again for your efforts,