new 880GT 715/1733/1150 + observations and questions bench

hipflask

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2007
Hi all, im new to the forums so please dont flame me to badly!

I have just purchased a zoltac 8800GT base model and started overclocking it today.
I have a watercooled q600 rig in a thermaltake armor case running at 3.24Ghz (runs higher but i dont like the heat it hits @ 3.6Ghz) with 2gb of ram 2x wd raptor 150Gb in raid 0 and a 500gb wd backend drive for storage.
I got this card Today off novatech and started playing with it.
This card for me is purley a stop gap untill the 9800 series comes out.
I have a p38 Asus p5e mainboard waiting for the new intel cpu out next week at which point im doing the swop-over.
The thing that i have noticed after doing many benchmarks on 3dmark of which i got 14769 3dmarks
(published http://service.futuremark.com/orb/projectdetails.jsp?projectType=14&projectId=3703454) seems to me to be cpu limited.
Having looked through the benchmark results and doing a few compares as well as re overclocking my cpu to 3.4,3.5 (didnt publish) as well as some AMD systems running at much higher speeds (although only recieving 11-12k benches) i was wondering what your opinion is.

1. Are all todays GPU's cpu limited? ie if we all had 6Ghz based pcs would we all be ok to run most games like bioshock and crysis on todays hardware @ high settings?

2. If from my observations these cards are ltd by cpu when the newer dx10.1 cards come out are they going to prolong the lifespan of them because they know the cpu is holding them back

If indeed we are so cpu limited is there even any point in upgrading to the x9800 cards when they come out (bearing in mind the QX6750 will be 40% more efficient and faster in R/L so they say).
To be honest im actually interested in this latest round of hardware - its been along time it seems that theres been no decent overclocking kit out there and now this week we have this great 8800gt (which it appears almost equalls a gtx if you overclock it) as well as a new cpu that should hit 5Ghz on water without any issues!.

Welcome to the forum hipflask.
I have copied this from else where in the forum as it seems that it could answer much of your questions.

TheGreatGrapeApe

Just my two frames' worth.
Profile: Graphic Gorilla
More informations
View his configuration

Posted on 11-09-2007 at 04:12:13 AM
Yeah it's how the 3Dmk06 works, and it's not like a game in that many areas are stressed in a way to simply max out the DX features/support of a system. However unlike 3Dmk05 and 3Dmk03 this iteration is very CPU sensitive once you get to higher scores.

When the GTX first came out it was shown that on older PCs the GTX and the GX2 shared the same score around 8K, but to get beyond that you need to have a very fast CPU, which then allowed the GTX to add a couple of K to it's score. This boost was much larger than that felt in 3Dmk05, which still benifits from a faster CPU, but not as dramatically.

---------------
You need a license to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp (or internet account) - RED GREEN. GA to SK
HD Freedom: 45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B2
The great grape ape is one of our resident Mods and really knows his stuff.
Mactronix :)

JuiceJones

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2006

No, you're confusing 3DMarks with actual game performance. I'm fairly certain 3DMark calculates the CPU score into the overall score, meaning insane CPUs with lesser GPUs will high an artificially high score. As an example, someone had posted a link to an overclocked Yorkfield at 4.8GHz, paired with an overclocked 8800GT hitting nearly 17k. That's higher than most people's Ultra and GTX scores, but the superior cards will still get better game performance with a decent CPU.

Hatman

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2004
8800GT insanely over clocked easily destroys a GTX or Ultra as far as 3dmark06 is concerned though.

Dont bother waiting for "9800" series I doubt they will come within 6months, maybe til next decmeber if ATI dont pull anything out.