Memory leak with Vista X64 ??

JackBlack07

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2007
Hey guys when I try to encode a DVD to Divx my RAM usage goes from %40 to %90 and stays there and it requires a reboot to free up that memory again.

Here's my hardware:
MB: GIGABYTE GA-N650SLI-DS4 Rev 1.0 (I think)
CPU: Intel C2D 6420 OC'd @ 3.0 / w Thermaltek 7 CPU fan
RAM: A-DATA 3GIGS (1 Kit of A-DATA 1GB & 1 kit of A-DATA 2GB)

Like I said in the thread i'm running Vista Ultimate X64. Have any of you ran into this problem or know of a possible fix?

jedimasterben

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2007
Whenever it is encoding, it should use lots of RAM. Probably not that much, but it should use a bit.

Once the application exits, it hangs. Just open task manager and kill the process.

The application hangs because it wants to use more RAM, but can't because it has to leave some open for "other processes". I remember having this same sort of trouble in Supreme Commander.

The application probably doesn't have the "Large address aware" header in the coding. Just download this file: http://files.filefront.com/3GB+enabler2zip/;6791818;/fileinfo.html
unzip it, then copy the application's EXE into the folder.

Rename the application "supremecommander" (without quotation marks, of course), and run "Startme.bat"

Press any key, then press 'V'. Scroll back up the command prompt window to the original header, and search for "Application can handle large (<2GB) addresses". If it is there, then I am completely wrong and I give you permission to slap me for making you read all of this.

If it isn't there, then press any key, and press 'A'. Then press any key, and then 'V'. Then look for the Large address thingy. Then try running the app again.

I hope this helps. My fingers are tired.