W Server 2003 Graphics Card

Ken98045

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2007
I've been looking for a pci xpress16 graphics card with dual monitor support for use on Windows Server 2003. Both NVidia and ATI say that they don't support Server 2003. They say try the XP drivers if you want, but no guarantees. Does anybody out there actually support a good card with good drivers for 2003?

Ken98045

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2007
We need 2003 because we are developing products that require it. However, it is also a development workstation, so dual monitors are a must. I don't care much about speed, but the NVidia Quadra I'm using with XP drivers is very, very flaky.

Ken98045

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2007
The references you gave were for x64 drivers. It is actually easier to find x64 drivers for Server 2003 than it is to find x32. Go figure

emp

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2004
Sorry to say this, but who in their right mind utilizes a 32-bit version of a SERVER OS intended for servers and workstations that benefit greatly from ram? If I were nvidia/ati I wouldn't support that OS either, it's just not worth it programming for an OS like that.

Even enthusiasts are finally starting to see the light and moving to the 64-bit arena, microsoft will stop making 32-bit OS altogether after Vista (which was only made to support legacy hardware). I believe it's time you step up to the 64-bit arena to be quite honest, otherwise you're pretty much screwed.

Ken98045

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2007
I've been arguing for using x64 servers but so far the company is stuck on x32. I would have that that there were 32 bit enough developers out there for at least one or two companies to provide an x32 driver, but maybe not.

carver_g

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2007

The five 2003 servers I support have 4GB of RAM; none of them use more than 3GB, and most are also running exchange 2003, Symantec Antivirus for Exchange, Ninja Server Spam filtering, Microsoft Sharepoint, and Backup Exec 11d, all memory hogs. They all run fast and have been extremely reliable.

Using a 32-bit Server OS is fine unless you will actually need more than 4GB RAM before your next upgrade cycle (or Microsoft discontinues mainstream support for the OS).

stankes

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009

i am looking for an AGP 8x HDTV video card for server 2003, do you have any suggestions? pls email me at rebecca@stankes.com I am looking for a video card that will work...
thanks
Rebecca

G

Was curious whether this straighforward question was ever answered with a straighforward solution.
Whilst I fully appreciate the reasoning concerning MS / ATI / NViDiA eventually discontining support of 2003 x32, I don't need to be made aware of this all nor feel like having to explain such responses?

We too are a development team working in W2K3 x32 (For good reasons we too have not gone up to a 64 bit platform - We use a variety of software that are licensed as x32 - And similarly it runs smoothly without any requirement for using more than 4GB RAM (Not even with VMware virtualization running side-by-side).

Yes, we can install x64 W2K3 (But why if all we need it dual display to work properly without flakiness, and why if it will just result in licensing costs?)

Yes, we can install 2008 (x32 or x64), but these OS's are have heavier RAM requirments, again have licensing costs accociated (not just for the OS, but also apps licensed to work under certain OS). They work stunning as servers for production, but are overkill for development purposes.

Man, we could even go instaling 2008 R2...

Point is NO... Why? Yes, better and faster, more efficient utilization of underlying hardware... I get all that! That's why we have these in production... But not for development servers.

Does someone out there have an answer to this? Can't believe for one second that there is absolutely not ONE SINGLE graphics card out there, whether it be PCI or PCI-e, which will work in W2K3 32bit. It doesn't have to perform at Usain Bolt speeds, it just needs to work properly! It can have DVI or VGA or HDMI output... Not fussed. Just one!?

G

I am building a new server that will be a backup and a development system (and my office computer) running Windows 2003 (32 bit, standard edition). I wanted to drive an LCD having 1920 x 1200 resolution using a GeForce 9800 GTX but I cannot find a driver for 2003. At the moment, I cannot find any graphics card that can support the LCD. Help!!!

BrianOliver

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010
I found this thread because I too have been looking for a graphics card that will support two monitors under Windows Server 2003. I am also using it for development as other on here have said. I also don't wish (cannot afford to) upgrade to the latest all-singing-all-dancing OS.

Anyway, the point of my post is that I have found a card that does what I want. It is a Matrox G550. It is available in two incarnations, one a full height card with two DVI outputs, and one a low profile card with a single output but supplied with a splitter cable.

They are about £100 to £130+ to buy new but I just got one off eBay for £31 and it works fine after downloading and installing the drivers for Win 2003 server off the Matrox website. Have a look on eBay there are quite a few on there but watch out if you need a PCI or PCIe as quite a few are AGP.

I hope this info proves useful to anyone still looking for a solution to this problem.

regards

Brian

TRENDING THREADS