cah027

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007
I think they are going to work on the AM2's but wont support all of the new features unless you have AM2+. Not sure but it might be the auto core clock feature that will need the AM2+.

kidgonesmall

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2007
if you use an am2 motherboard on the phenom will is cut down the performance by alot?

monsterrocks

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2007
No one knows, but it will work in AM2 motherboards. But as cah027 said, it will not have all the feature available unless you get an AM2+ board. I don't think it would cut performance by much or else they would probably not go to the trouble of making it AM2 compatable. Of course it could just be that AMD is doing that because they are struggling and want people to upgrade so that they stick with AMD. Either way I trust that AMD knows what it is doing and is getting their act together. Whoops, sorry, got a little off-topic there....

bitrate

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2007
It's about time we saw some real AM2+ motherboards on the market instead of those fake Biostar AM2+ "compatible" ones.

ira176

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2006

From all of the reading about AM2 and AM2+ that I've done, I don't think that it's not a performance issue that will be seen between the two different socket specifications. I think the issue will be the power planes for the integrated memory controller and the cores on the upcomming Phenom processors. AM2 will not be able to independently reduce or raise voltage to the controller and the core, the voltage adjustments will have to be the same. AM2+ will be able to take advantage of independently reducing and raising the voltage to cores and the memory controller.