bloodandsoil

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2006
Will there be (or is there currently) a Kentsfield Quad Core with a 1333 FBS, in a non-Extreme variety?

I have a P965 chipset motherboard with a Core 2 Duo E6600 in it. As such, I most likely will not be able to upgrade to the newer 45nm based Quad Cores.

So I'm looking at what would be the best upgrade for my current platform. Also, since I don't really care much about overclocking, I am not interested in the Extreme processors with the unlocked multiplier. That's all Extreme is anyway, an unlocked multiplier, right?

chookman

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
No there is not Q6600 and Q6700 are the only quad core non extremes

What is your mobo... there is a hint that some of the P965 range will have 45nm support (unconfirmed)

If you cannot drop in a 45nm when they are out with a BIOS update that i would say your best of sticking with what you have, perhaps OC it to get some more performance. Or just leave it and get Nehalem when they are out as they will be a significant jump on your e6600 whereas the Q6700 isnt a big one.

High clock on Extremes stock and unlocked multiplier are the only real differences.

bloodandsoil

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2006
Here's my system:

NEC 20WMGX2-BK 20.1" 6ms Widescreen LCD
BFG Tech GeForce 8800GTX
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz
ASUS P5B Deluxe
Crucial Ballistix 2 x 1GB PC2 6400 4-4-4-12, 2.2V
SeaSonic S12 Energy Plus SS-650HT 650W
Antec P180B Case
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB
SAMSUNG 18X DVD Burner
Tuniq Tower CPU Cooler
Logitech G15 Gaming Keyboard
Logitech G5 USB Wired Laser Mouse

I'm thinking that, sometime in the future, if I could spend around US$200 for a CPU upgrade to a higher clockspeed Kentsfield Quad Core with a 1333 FSB, it would be worthwhile.

I just pulled my aging ASUS P5B Deluxe and installed the X38 in my signature. Everything I had dropped right in including my DDR2 PC6400. I installed Vista 64 Ultimate while I was it. I now have PCIE 2.0 as well as the ability to drop in a Penryn processor. I can also upgrade to DDR2 PC8500 in the future. The X38 is available with DDR3 installation also.

bloodandsoil

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2006

Yes but you achieved virtually no performance benefit for spending over 200 dollars.

I'm actually looking at a performance upgrade (CPU) for my existing platform.

My computer has a huge performance boost. Vista 64 is sick fast compared to an permapatched, tattered rag XP system. And I have a great upgrade path to penryn. You can't do penryn with what you have. If you could it would be a total waste of the processor's capability with what you have.

chookman

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
I have 2 P5B deluxe wifi ap's and its looking like ASUS is going to realise a bios update in the near future for these to support 45nm...

As i said in last post you cpu is fine as is now... give it some time and see if ASUS release a bios update... OR if you feel you are in desperate need of a better CPU (yours still good ive got the same) then you can look at BADGE's suggestion and just swap all your current components into a P35 or x38 mobo that does support 45nm

chookman...absolutely. Look what I did with my aging P965! I just swaped all my hardware over to the DDR2 model ASUS x38. I'm very happy. Of course I have a new install of my OS, but my system is very fast. This is great. Going form a dual boot VISTA 32/XP pro to VISTA 64 was fabulous. I couldn't be happier. And I'm all set for PCIE 2.0. The only thing I didn't get was DD3. Next time.

The support for the 945GC chipset will be based on the supplier and there will not be official support from Intel for the P965 chipset. However, we do expect to see unofficial support on a few of these boards with MSI already providing BIOS support. Note that there are no guarantees beyond stock performance if the boards operate at all with these processors. We should have further information next week on the P965 and Yorkfield.

http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.aspx?i=3138&p=5

http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.aspx?i=3138&p=2