Sign in with
Your question

Computer Freezing problem please help!!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 10, 2007 7:43:15 AM

I've been having a problem with my computer, and I don't really know which part goes wrong. when I first bought my computer (like 6 months ago), everything went fine except the VGA card (GeForce 7600GS) and one of the memory stick (1GB), so I decided to go buy a new VGA card and new memory stick. now, I have 1 VGA card, GeForce 8600GTS and 1 GB memory stick (Corsair). I was pretty sure that this time everything would go fine. alas, my computer froze again after I had installed the driver =(. this time is even worse, I can't even start my windows. so I decided to take off my VGA card and use onboard VGA card. with on board VGA card I can run any application as much and as long as I want, but as soon as I run any other heavy game application, such as Warcraft, it will freeze =(.

I really have no idea what's going on with my computer,
- is it because the VGA card not compatible with the motherboard (GA-VM900M, chipset: VIA P4M900)??
- is it because the driver itself(NVidia GeForce 8600GTS driver) clashes with the motherboard??
- could the problem is probably caused by the power supply (not enough power or something)??

As a note here, Motherboard GA-VM900M support PCI-E, and I bet you guys have already known that GeForce 8 series are mostly available for PCI-E.

Does anyone know how to solve my problem?? or has anyone encountered the same problem as mine before and has got it solved?? I completely stuck here please help, any feedback will be appreciated!

the following actions have been done in order to detect the problem:
1. Memory testing, result: ok
2. updating motherboard driver
3. downloading the latest VGA driver from the site
November 10, 2007 8:11:56 AM

id say either a heat issue under load or your psu - what spec psu you got? make and rating? whats you cpu temps in the bios after 10 mins?
November 10, 2007 8:24:12 AM

hipflask said:
id say either a heat issue under load or your psu - what spec psu you got? make and rating? whats you cpu temps in the bios after 10 mins?

heat is not an issue here, as I have mentioned in my first post that my computer works fine for normal application using onboard VGA card or GeForce 7600GS and will begin to freeze if heavy game application is run such as Warcraft. As for my current VGA card 8600 GTS, my computer won't even boot up after the driver has been installed.

my PSU spec is:

AC Input: 230V 50HZ 4A
DC Output:+33V +5V +12V -12V -5V -5VSB
22A 39A 21A 1.2A 0.9A 2.3A

I don't really know about the manufacturer of my PSU since I couldn't find it anywhere on my PSU =(.

Related resources
a b U Graphics card
November 10, 2007 9:18:57 AM

Did you disable your on-board video in the BIOS and set the VGA controller to PCI-e first?
November 10, 2007 9:41:04 AM

Just a few things:

Can you boot into Safe Mode?

All specs on your system would be helpful.

Especially CPU / Memory specs/ timings ect. OS being used I am guessing XP.

Your Motherboard -Note 1) Use of a 1066/ 800 MHz FSB CPU is required if you wish to install DDR2 667 MHz memory.

-Do you get any errors when installing the driver, like from your OS? Any at all or does it just FREEZE with nothing else/ Heat is usually that cause.
Are your drivers when installed -Digitally Certified?

Man it sucks when the ole rig goes down. Using that 7600 or that 8600 you should have a program called Ntune downloaded. Adjusting Gpu fan speed might help it work longer. Also a temp monitor for the GPU. If the card is getting hot you can run stability checks while Tuning and Monitoring at the same time. That PSU is minimal at best here read this.

http://forums.nvidia.com/lofiversion/index.php?t34723.h...

not sure if that came up there, but a lot of people have the same type issues. XFX 8600GTS Extreme (720MHz) It needs at least 26A on the +12V rail(s) besides the minimal 400watts. Does yours have a 6 pin connector with that?

I have a oc'd 8800gts with a 750w powersupply. To run it smooth with heavy loads my fan has to be up because a sound card underneath it is warming it up a lot.

Have you ran Prime 95 and or Memtest 86?

Have you gotten rid of all previous drivers? CCleaner in safe mode will unistall all that for you. Then Reinstall, Like I said to proceed, all other info is essential, the vendor drivers suck most of the time. I always go to chipset Nvidia for drivers. Going directly through Hardware Install then Nvidia should be fine. Your not gonna need a lot of power for the 7600..but the 8600 is going to require some. Also Nvidia Dx10 capable cards conflict with WindowsXP untill the drivers are situated.
November 10, 2007 9:45:34 AM

jitpublisher said:
Did you disable your on-board video in the BIOS and set the VGA controller to PCI-e first?

WOW I REALLY HOPE SO :kaola: 
November 10, 2007 10:07:52 AM

This sounds like a bad PSU or a bad card.
November 10, 2007 4:00:55 PM

jitpublisher said:

Thanks for your advised jitpublisher, I am sorry that I didn't mention in my first post that checking the BIOS was also one of the step that I had done before posting my problem here. Before I had my VGA inserted into the slot on my mobo, I tried to check the BIOS first whether the video display in BIOS is set to on-board or not and it was selected to PEG. after I had my VGA inserted without changing any BIOS setting, I tried to install the driver and it froze =(.
November 10, 2007 4:16:55 PM

Gambit said:
Just a few things:

Can you boot into Safe Mode?

Your Motherboard -Note 1) Use of a 1066/ 800 MHz FSB CPU is required if you wish to install DDR2 667 MHz memory.

-Do you get any errors when installing the driver, like from your OS? Any at all or does it just FREEZE with nothing else/ Heat is usually that cause.

Man it sucks when the ole rig goes down. Using that 7600 or that 8600 you should have a program called Ntune downloaded. Adjusting Gpu fan speed might help it work longer. Also a temp monitor for the GPU. If the card is getting hot you can run stability checks while Tuning and Monitoring at the same time. That PSU is minimal at best here read this.

not sure if that came up there, but a lot of people have the same type issues. XFX 8600GTS Extreme (720MHz) It needs at least 26A on the +12V rail(s) besides the minimal 400watts. Does yours have a 6 pin connector with that?

I have a oc'd 8800gts with a 750w powersupply. To run it smooth with heavy loads my fan has to be up because a sound card underneath it is warming it up a lot.

Have you ran Prime 95 and or Memtest 86?

Have you gotten rid of all previous drivers? CCleaner in safe mode will unistall all that for you. Then Reinstall, Like I said to proceed, all other info is essential, the vendor drivers suck most of the time. I always go to chipset Nvidia for drivers. Going directly through Hardware Install then Nvidia should be fine. Your not gonna need a lot of power for the 7600..but the 8600 is going to require some. Also Nvidia Dx10 capable cards conflict with WindowsXP untill the drivers are situated.

"Do you get any errors when installing the driver, like from your OS? Any at all or does it just FREEZE with nothing else/ Heat is usually that cause.
Are your drivers when installed -Digitally Certified?"
<- no, I didn't get any error when installing the driver. I am not really sure with what you mean by digitally certified, but for sure my Driver didn't pass microsoft something can't remember, then there were two options given: "continue installation" and "cancel", I chose the first one and went on with the installation progress. the problem occured after I had my computer restarted.

Additionally, I can't even boot my computer in safe mode =(, when the computer was loading the required dlls it froze =(, or at best it reached to the windows XP safe mode screen then after a couple of seconds (3 secs) it froze again =(.

Have you ran Prime 95 and or Memtest 86? <- yes, I did, and not only just one memtest program, I ran like 2 or 3 different memtest programs and the result for all 3 was ok.

I am pretty aware that when I first encountered this problem, it might be caused by the driver, so I decided to download the latest mobo and VGA drivers online. for mobo, I got the latest driver from gigabyte.com and for VGA I didn't get it from nvidia but from EVGA.com, since EVGA got the latest one (nvidia = 163 something while EVGA.com provided me with version 169!)

I am not really sure how you know about your PSU's watt. I'll try to calculate it using simple formula P=VI as taught during high school, I don't know whether it will be the correct one or not. so my PSU's watt will be:

V = 230V
I = 4A
P = 230 * 4 = 920 Watt <- is this correct??

I used those V and I from AC input spec not that of DC input.

Your Motherboard -Note 1) Use of a 1066/ 800 MHz FSB CPU is required if you wish to install DDR2 667 MHz memory <- could you please explain more to me about this, Gambit?

XFX 8600GTS Extreme (720MHz) It needs at least 26A on the +12V rail(s) <- are you sure about this?, because I've got 21A on the +12V rail(s) instead of 26A
November 10, 2007 4:24:34 PM

systemlord said:
This sounds like a bad PSU or a bad card.

I am pretty sure that the card is not at fault, since I have tested my computer using 2 different cards. first I used 7600GS and it worked fine unless I ran heavy game application. second, I used on-board card, that is, no VGA card inserted onto the slot, it worked fine even I had it run for like 24/7 without turning it off, BUT it began to freeze whenever I ran a heavy game application such as Warcraft. However, as for me it's pretty weird to know that when I ran Warcraft game, the graphic was so smooth and excellent, but I couldn't run it for more than 5 mins (i.e. froze) =(

do you reckon I should:
1. reinstall my windows?? (note: I am currently using windows XP SP2)
2. upgrading my BIOS?? (if yes, will upgrading the BIOS solve this problem? is outdated BIOS the cause for this problem? if no, I won't be bothered upgrading my BIOS since I only want to get my computer working in any application (including heavy game app) without enhancing the VGA capabilities through BIOS setting or such)
November 11, 2007 7:56:29 AM

nicksname7 said:
I am pretty sure that the card is not at fault, since I have tested my computer using 2 different cards. first I used 7600GS and it worked fine unless I ran heavy game application. second, I used on-board card, that is, no VGA card inserted onto the slot, it worked fine even I had it run for like 24/7 without turning it off, BUT it began to freeze whenever I ran a heavy game application such as Warcraft. However, as for me it's pretty weird to know that when I ran Warcraft game, the graphic was so smooth and excellent, but I couldn't run it for more than 5 mins (i.e. froze) =(

do you reckon I should:
1. reinstall my windows?? (note: I am currently using windows XP SP2)
2. upgrading my BIOS?? (if yes, will upgrading the BIOS solve this problem? is outdated BIOS the cause for this problem? if no, I won't be bothered upgrading my BIOS since I only want to get my computer working in any application (including heavy game app) without enhancing the VGA capabilities through BIOS setting or such)

Your solution is here.>> www.passmark.com Run Burn-in 5.3 and be sure to disable any device your not using or don't have. This program will show which device is giving errors. Let us know.
November 11, 2007 9:18:45 AM

First of all,these days the onboard video usualy disables by default when a video card is installed.Not always,but usually.Second thing you need to look at is what other software you have installed such as ANTI-VIRUS,NTUNE,etc....I have found that quite often the anti-virus drivers can and do interfere with video drivers.Now 1st,did you disable your antivirus before installing drivers.This is a big issue with video cards.They won't configure correctly if the anti-virus is not disabled first.Second,look at all the software you have installed and google it to see if there are any known issues with it.Your PSU should be fine for what you have so I would not consider that till last.Also try lowering your hardware acceleration as this can ocassionaly cause issues.I have also found that NTUNE will cause conflicts with other drivers.If you don't overclock your machine,particularily the video card,you really don't need NTUNE at all.Goodluck.

Dahak

M2N32-SLI DELUXE WE
X2 5600+ STOCK (2.8GHZ)
2X1GIG DDR2 800 IN DC MODE
TOUGHPOWER 850WATT PSU
EVGA 7950 GX2 550/1400
SMILIDON RAIDMAX GAMING CASE
ACER 22IN WS LCD 1680X1050
250GIG HD/320GIG HD
G5 GAMING MOUSE
LOGITECH Z-5500 5.1 SURROUND SYSTEM
500WATS CONTINUOUS,1000 PEAK
WIN XP MCE SP2
November 11, 2007 2:56:28 PM

Your Motherboard -Note 1) Use of a 1 0667/ 800 MHz FSB CPU isrequired if you wish to install DDR2 667 MHz memory <- could you please explain more to me about this, Gambit?

http://www.gigabyte.sg/Products/Motherboard/Products_Ov...

If I am way off on the board let me know....

In your manual there is a NOTE on this. Not sure if this excatly your board but am sure you can find it. It will be like yours anyways.

This is what your motherboard reads. Your CPU and Memory have to be this way when using that ( type) memory. If using a lower setting other than 667 it should be ok. Sorry for the late replys too, Has this issue been resolved. I am curious as to what the latest is.

Oh and by Digitally Certified I mean that from past builds with newer cards that come out. Let me explain.. When Unistalling a card and replacing it sometimes Microsoft and all their wisdom want the hardware vendor to be certified by them. When you look at your drivers in Control Panel > Computer > Properties > Display Adapters > Then your card should be there, then look at DRIVER DETAILS under driver tab. You should have a Green Check. If not then there is a conflicting issue with Nvidia/XP or whatever OS YOU have.

I am leaning too in the direction of a hardware conflict. Running Prime 95 torture test will tell you.

http://files.extremeoverclocking.com/file.php?f=103

It is easy fast and effective, but also safe. I have used it numerous times. PSU should be last yes I agree with that, would not hurt to slave a bigger one in. If you have a friend who is willing to let you stretch it out or just have one lying around. Replacing both Memory AND Video Card 2 times leads me to believe it is something else. Run Memtest 86, if you want stictly tests all aspects of memory. If your Memory is good when installed with the old video card then you can elminate that right there. When you throw your new card in something is conflicting: your temps are good so eliminate that. Your bios seem to be in order.... What does that leave. Voltage/ Power, maybe.

Get back and GL...
November 11, 2007 3:26:56 PM

Sounds like a PSU issue to me, and even though it might be rated to be powerful enough to power that card (8600GTS), I've seen cheap PSUs rated at 650W with a 12V+ rail of 35A dying to a measly 184W load. I say try to test your computer with another PSU (From a friend or something) and see if it works properly.
!