Sign in with
Your question

8800GT SLI +q6600+evga 680i- new system help

Last response: in Systems
October 30, 2007 3:45:03 PM

So i am buying my new gamming rig this week ; let me know what you think :

Q6600 2,4 @ 3ghz- my store do the overclock for me....

Evga 680i sli

2x Evga 8800gt ssc (700/2000)

4gb Ram corsair xms2

Lc Arkengel 850w

MOnitor lg226wa-wn

2x 250gb Western digital in raid0

Antec nine hundred

Tuniq Tower 120

x-fi xtremgamer

Will this rig play crysis at full detail in my 1600x1050 monitor? full aa ?
what is the weakest link in this rig? Thanks in advance
October 30, 2007 4:00:51 PM

Change the PSU , get OCZ 850W or THERMALTAKE TOUGHPOWER 850
October 30, 2007 4:30:18 PM

If you need real power got to check the psu list here. I got a silverstone 750 watts and I have plenty of space even with 2 8800 gts 640 meg in sli, 2X12 volt rail with lots of amps on each. I add watercooling to my rig and the psu his not yet full.
If your not sure take a look at the list of psu please.

sorry english is not my first langage...
Related resources
October 30, 2007 4:47:17 PM

knucles said:
Lc Arkengel 850w
what is the weakest link in this rig?
Can you find any reviews on that PSU?
Otherwise you will probably better off looking for a quality PSU from well known names like Seasonic, Corsair, Silverstone, etc. You can easily step down to a high quality 650/600/550/520 model to run your new system.

If you list the online stores you like to use to compare prices we can suggest a few models for you.
EVGA suggests 450W 24Amp minimum for its Superclocked models in SLI.

October 30, 2007 6:28:30 PM

OK, "minimum" doesn't mean "overclocked quad CPU and RAID", so add a bit for that. Maybe a Corsair 620HX or Silencer 610W...

I really like this rig, except for the mysterious PSU. No "weakest link", it's well balanced. If this doesn't play Crysis properly I'd like to know what will... :D 
October 30, 2007 8:31:50 PM

thanks a lot; i was tempted to buy 1 8800 gtx and i had a really bad idea of sli but; at this price range i am pretty sure that 2x 8800gt>8800gtx by a quite a bit.

i am european ; so here, lc power is a well known brand; but i will take your suggestion and i will pick the corsair 620hx
October 30, 2007 8:34:24 PM

oh, by the way ; should i wait for the new nvidia chip7? and pick a 780i from evga

here in Portugal i manage to buy an evga 680i for 199$ ; so i guess is a good deal isn't?
October 30, 2007 11:06:02 PM

The RAM is the weakest link I think. 2 gigs? That was enough to play some XP games, but Vista is a different beast and if you want DX10's beauty for Crysis, you need more RAM. 4 gigs. Does not even matter if its a little worse memory, get 4 gigs.

I also, to some degree, do think waiting for a 780i might be important. Building this PC right now means that its obsolete by Q1 2008 when Penryn drops in full force with its non-Extreme version. IF you use a 680i, then you can probably get the Penryn in there (it supports 1333 FSB), but afterwards your screwed. You won't have PCIe 2.0 (which I consider a must for new PCs now, even if PCIe 2.0 does not have a benefit yet), and you are limited to DDR2 memory forever.

DDR3 support is a must. These motherboards should be able to run processors all the way up until LGA775 expires, which won't be until after Nehalem, and DDR3 is not going anyway in 5 years. FSB speeds aren't high enough to require it yet, but will, and when it does you'll need it. Besides, even if we do not get FSB speeds above 400FSB before the next socket, you'll be able to overclock Nehalem to hell and back I bet.

The reason to wait for 780i is so that you can use SLI: remember, only Nvidia motherboards officially support SLI. There are probably a few ways to get it to work on Intel Motherboards, but all would probably require soldering on new parts to the boards and does anyone here have the skill to do that, or the money to replace a board you wasted so easily?

The Q6600 is going to be obsolete next quarter anyway.

What I recommend is getting an E2180 and overclocking it to 3.2 gigahertz, and get an aftermarket fan that you can use to cool a Penryn when it comes out. That way, you can play Crysis. I don't think Crysis supports quad-cores anyway, but you can bet next years PC titles will. This way you only spend what, $100 for a processor now, and you can use that $20-$30 fan on a Penryn? If you go with an X38 board you get DDR3 support and PCIe 2.0, but you'll only be getting Crossfire support (which means you have to pray that either ATI's offerings meet the challenge or Nvidia allows its cards to SLI without Nvidia boards).

Oh, and I think the PSU is fine. I've ran an 8800 GTS 640MB with my 600 watt Xclio source before, and the 8800GT cannot possibly draw much more power. Now, if your going to SLI later, then we have a problem. But now? Eh, don't worry about it.
October 31, 2007 1:48:57 AM

scryer_360 said:
The RAM is the weakest link I think. 2 gigs? That was enough to play some XP games, but Vista is a different beast and if you want DX10's beauty for Crysis, you need more RAM. 4 gigs. Does not even matter if its a little worse memory, get 4 gigs.

I also, to some degree, do think waiting for a 780i might be important. Building this PC right now means that its obsolete by Q1 2008 when Penryn drops in full force with its non-Extreme version. IF you use a 680i, then you can probably get the Penryn in there (it supports 1333 FSB), but afterwards your screwed. You won't have PCIe 2.0 (which I consider a must for new PCs now, even if PCIe 2.0 does not have a benefit yet), and you are limited to DDR2 memory forever.

DDR3 support is a must. These motherboards should be able to run processors all the way up until LGA775 expires, which won't be until after Nehalem, and DDR3 is not going anyway in 5 years. FSB speeds aren't high enough to require it yet, but will, and when it does you'll need it. Besides, even if we do not get FSB speeds above 400FSB before the next socket, you'll be able to overclock Nehalem to hell and back I bet.

The reason to wait for 780i is so that you can use SLI: remember, only Nvidia motherboards officially support SLI. There are probably a few ways to get it to work on Intel Motherboards, but all would probably require soldering on new parts to the boards and does anyone here have the skill to do that, or the money to replace a board you wasted so easily?

The Q6600 is going to be obsolete next quarter anyway.

What I recommend is getting an E2180 and overclocking it to 3.2 gigahertz, and get an aftermarket fan that you can use to cool a Penryn when it comes out. That way, you can play Crysis. I don't think Crysis supports quad-cores anyway, but you can bet next years PC titles will. This way you only spend what, $100 for a processor now, and you can use that $20-$30 fan on a Penryn? If you go with an X38 board you get DDR3 support and PCIe 2.0, but you'll only be getting Crossfire support (which means you have to pray that either ATI's offerings meet the challenge or Nvidia allows its cards to SLI without Nvidia boards).

Oh, and I think the PSU is fine. I've ran an 8800 GTS 640MB with my 600 watt Xclio source before, and the 8800GT cannot possibly draw much more power. Now, if your going to SLI later, then we have a problem. But now? Eh, don't worry about it.

so regarding your memory theory...

i already have the corsair DDR2 DHX XMS2 2x1gig cas4 ram

can i just buy a identical pair and still run them at cas4 timings?

also some guy on a forum did SLI with corsair HX620 psu and it was stable..

just felt like i needed to mention it :D 
October 31, 2007 1:59:44 PM

Crysis supports quad cores. Much more importantly, so does Hellgate:London :)  Supreme Commander, CoH and FSX will also benefit from a quad.
November 1, 2007 8:22:54 AM

so, and if i keep my 120gb sata disk for a while; willl this affect my fps in games? or just xp speed?
November 1, 2007 1:22:53 PM

Well, compared to RAID 0, yes, you will get lower performance. Somebody explained in a message some time ago that setting up RAID improved his Oblivion gaming a lot - trees that used to appear after he stepped into an area were now already there, for example. Still, most people don't have RAID and play anyway, so don't worry about it. Just get the new disks whenever you can.
!