Sign in with
Your question

Need your input, picture included: What's wrong with my 9700 pro?

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 10, 2007 4:48:10 PM

Heya.

As you can see if you click the thumbnail and look at the picture below, i'm having some problems:

^

Now, i have the latest version of CCC, the latest drivers for my RADEON 9700pro (ancient, but has been working like a swiss clock for four years) - and the latest DirectX drivers.

If i move a window on the screen, things get really messy, if i try to start a game or other full screen 3D application, i get prompted i have no support for 3D. Video content is affected in the same way as everything else.

I've tried using both a DVI cord connected to my 20" flatscreen, aswell as a VGA connected to my 20" CRT - as seen in the picture. The result is the same. I've rebooted a hundered times and reinstalled everything a dozen. The card does not get abnormally hot, the fan is working and yeah - it's very strange.

The problem appeared in the midst of a gaming session.

Anyone recognise the purple and green lines? I can post a better (more distorted) picture taken on the TFT for better image quiality, but it's only there to serve as an indicator as to what problems i'm having.

The lines disapeared when i got rid of CCC, but everything was really "slow" then ,as if nothing was hardware accelerated.

Please give me some pointers - is the card fried? Need i buy a new one? I only have agp 4x - would an 8x card work in that slot? :S

More about : input picture included wrong 9700 pro

a b U Graphics card
November 10, 2007 5:06:10 PM

Install a different video card. If the problem persists with a different card, your PSU may have gone south. 8x card will work in 4 x agp slot.
a c 177 U Graphics card
November 10, 2007 5:25:52 PM

Due to the age, I'm going to argue that the video card died. It is old and probably just died during the gaming session. You can try a different card, or PSU, but I'm betting on it being the card.
a b U Graphics card
November 10, 2007 5:32:56 PM

OP might also try installing an earlier Catalyst driver that worked with the 9700PRO. Especially if the crashing symptoms occured after applying a latest driver.
November 10, 2007 5:46:07 PM

Wish i had a spare lying around.. Anyways: What do you figure is wrong with the card? It's pretty much dust free - fan is working, i've tried both the VGA and DVI outs, reconnected it.

It still delivers some sort of image, so yeah :S
November 10, 2007 5:49:56 PM

No, The problems just came out of nowhere. I'm also guessing it's the 9700 that died on me, the new drives were installed after it died as a step along the way towards ruling out ****.

Anyways, i'm stuck with a 350w PSU i don't want to upgrade, so yeah - one 3 pin connector and VERY limited power - what card could i get?

Can't buy a new 9700/9800, and all the used ones come with old Dell PCs i don't want, and the whole kit makes for one overpriced bundle ;x
a b U Graphics card
November 10, 2007 5:53:11 PM

Your only option is to swap out the video card, then the PSU. You might try installing the driver that came with the card (install CD), it is tested to work properly with the 9700PRO.
November 10, 2007 5:57:03 PM

Runescaper said:
Wish i had a spare lying around.. Anyways: What do you figure is wrong with the card? It's pretty much dust free - fan is working, i've tried both the VGA and DVI outs, reconnected it.

It still delivers some sort of image, so yeah :S

Most likely one of the memory chips took a dive either by heat or age. Your picture is a good example of video memory paging problems. You can usually tell which memory chip is failing by the temperatures of all of the memory chips. The hottest one is likely the one that is failing. If your graphics cooler doesn't cover the memory, you may be able to spare the card by putting some stick-on heatsinks onto the memory chips providing that there hasn't been any permanent damage already.
a c 177 U Graphics card
November 11, 2007 7:06:31 AM

You can also try getting an overclocking program for ATI cards and underclock the memory speeds. By taking the heat away from the chip and lowering the speed, some have been able to make their broken card work longer. It is however a "stop gap" measure, meaning that it will eventually fail with the added cooling/lower speeds.
!