2900xt probelm and crashing

my2echo

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2007
im going to lose it ! i installed a new aftermarket gpu heatsink the thermalright hr-03 on my hd2900xt , before the card work perfectly, but just over heated a bit much, so now with this heatsink, the card idles at 42C 10 degrees cooler than the stock, but as soon as i try to play a game or 3dmark06 it crashes the system all together, and the temperature sky rockets, higher than ive seen before. i dont get it, i reapplied the thermal paste, 92mm fan on the sink, fan above card, one below card, still same results. i dont get it, any ideas

ajai

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2007
Had the same problem as you found that the after market heat sink left space around the core thats why the heat sink did not get as hot as the core...!!! Problem was resolved when i installed a new water cooler... BTW try a wind blast from your vacum just in case of dust PS dont apply a lot of Thermal paste

my2echo

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2007
well i went back to the stock cooler, and it works great again, that thermalright hr-03 is crap, despite its good reviews. i managed to modify the stock cooler, and im getting 43C idle at stock 25% fan cycle just by removing the back mounting plate on the card, and one of the slot divider bars in the case, greatly increased the ease of air flow.