Almost 2 months back I started my research to build a HTPC with below criteria…
• Windows Vista ultimate 64 bit with many drivers and 20 + programs and still stable (includes Visual studio 2005/mssql 2005 /Nero/powerdvd/off2007)
• Any kind of video/audio processing DVD/MP4/PIP TV/PVR/MP3 with all in one remote solution, gaming is not the priority thought…
• 24/7 running box doing PVR and downloads, thus cooling is very important, not interested in OC• Vista MCE for TV, Power DVD for all other Video/ WM11 for MP3
Here is what I currently have….
750*2 GB SATA HD, 300GB external MAXTOR, USB DVD writer, Logitech notebook pro webcam, Harmony 550 remote and latest Panasonic 720P HD Projector PT-AX200U, 2wire wireless gateway with modem
Here is what I am looking to purchase – an ultimate HTPC with development multithreading capabilities
CASE: SilverStone GD01MX HTPC ATX Case with IMON LCD & Remote & advanced 52-in-1 card reader $272 (configurable remote)
PSU: COOLER MASTER Real Power Pro RS-750-ACAA-A1 ATX12V / EPS12V 750W $139.99 ($50 rebate on this price) (less than 17db noise)
Motherboard: ASUS P5K-E/WIFI-AP LGA 775 Intel P35 (8+2 channel multi stream HD audio, SPDIF optical and WIFI ) – Retail $149.99
Every component I checked for Vista 64 bit compatibility and seem fine, Imon remote is configurable then Harmony will use mappings of this remote to manage vista MCE…
1. Other than speaker and keyboard/mouse do you see I am missing any component?? Something related to cooling??
2. Will GDA01 MX manages to remain cool with ASUS P5K-E / 2600XT( huge heat pipe and tall) / 750 W PSU?? Let me know if more cooling needed and how can I do it??
3. Any other things which I missed and will affect my single remote All in one HTPC agenda?
4. 2600xt will it fit in this mobo/box ??
Core 2 quad/4GB ram/Vista 64 are a must for my development requirement…planning to do crossfire in 2008 with another 2600xt when it’s cheaper (thus 750W PSU), if system allow would add few more HD's…
All of these components are having pretty good opinions/ reviews on newegg.com and other sites...
I tried my best to put my requirement… Please let me know your thoughts and comments…
LOL. Ya, I can tell by your system specs that you are a hardcore Mircosoft developer. Oh, I don't suppose you uncle is, or knows Bill Gates right?
It does say MSDN copy. One of the perks for paying £1500 per year is the use of Visual Stusio, Office and All operating systems. As you are personally licensed, not the company this can be a home machine as well.
However you are only supposed to be testing under the OS and not really using it as a stand alone machine. One of the MSDN people told me at a show recently that Microsoft are generally bothered about this.
I'd like to hear how you got on with the machine as I'm going to build something similar.